1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by BiohazardSr, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I've been playing some Football Manager 19 on my PC. I can't wait to go back to my dorm room though since my roommate will bring back his PS4 with all our games.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I FINALLY finished Final Fantasy X-2 (including Last Mission, which is 10 hours of my life I'll never get back) and now I'm taking a week-long break from JRPGs, because I am seriously exhausted.

So I'm splitting my time between 2 games - DOOM and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Both impulse buys (well the first was a trade-in, so it doesn't technically count...according to my bank balance at least) and both surprisingly enjoyable! I say "surprisingly" because DOOM is Bethesda and Ultimate Alliance 3 I wasn't expecting to enjoy after suffering through the first game on PS4 and hearing that they'd gated off the majority of the X-Men behind an expansion pass...which I will probably end up buying, because oh god this is ridiculously fun.

At the moment I'm using Venom, Thor, Wolverine, and Scarlet Witch, and I am loving it. I'm a bit disappointed that Spiderman is basically unusable because he's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal and if I have to listen to his toxic voice shouting "Whip whip!" every few seconds I will lose the last remnants of my sanity, but there is Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales, so that's OK. I am probably going to main 8-10 characters (in addition to my current team of four I plan on using Spider-Gwen, Psylocke, Storm, Deadpool, MAGNETO, and maybe Miles too) but I am actually really motivated - at least right now - to 100% this. The Infinity trials don't seem TOO unfair in terms of the challenges (at least, I am assuming the time trial aspect can be overcome by being overlevelled) and I want to unlock Thanos because reasons.

Plus the comic nerd in me is pretty excited. The MCU has left me extremely bitter towards Marvel in general so it's nice to see this game doesn't take after the MCU in terms of gross misrepresentation of the source characters. Proxima Midnight actually looks the way she should, and they remembered to add Supergiant to the Black Order. Although I feel like the MCU has led to some wasted character slots...I mean, Iron Fist? Black Widow? Sheesh...

...I won't do all this in a week, and I am playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 on holiday, so this will probably be a long term project.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,978.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I made a mistake and popped Gradius V back into my PS2. The game is absolutely insane in its difficulty, yet bizarrely it's still a blast to play, probably because it was made by the kings of crazy hard yet crazy fun games, Treasure. If you like Bullet Hells I highly recommend.

4. ZedKalEios

TWRP
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽207.9
    Started yet another run in Skyrim. My Argonian assassin is shaping up!

5. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I got Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age after spending a few hours on the original, and I can safely say this is the best way to play that game. Cleaner graphics, beautiful orchestrated covers of the soundtrack, and some handy speed settings for grinding. It’s such a big improvement that I plan to sell my PS2 copy.

6. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    I just beat Celeste (great game!) and have been playing through the grueling post-game content. Also, I'm in the middle of my 4th path in Fire Emblem: Three Houses (I used multiple save files to skip ahead on the Church's path) as well. This game has consumed my life lately and will likely continue to do so until I finish it. Super Mario Galaxy is another game I've played a little here and there. It's a good game, but my familiarity with Odyssey's controls is hurting me a lot. Lastly, I'm getting back into Mario Kart Wii! It's my favorite entry in the series, so it's been great to catch up and enjoy it once again.

7. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,978.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I've been dabbling into this pretty obscure game. Its kinda like Harry Potter but with more medieval weapons and characters. I doubt anyone here has heard of this hidden gem, though to anyone curious, its called Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
    Joking aside, I also just got Astral Chain recently and am excited to see how Platinum Games handles its first Cyberpunk setting.
    On the non-Switch side, I'm trying my hand at Everspace, which is basically 3d FTL. So space, roguelike, hard, and full of stuff to do. Unfortunately I keep dying, but thats to be expected.

8. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,004.3
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    Since I've been playing exclusively on Switch, there's a couple of games that have really caught my attention as of late.

Breath of the Wild is, of course, an excellent time-sink once I jumped into it. Currently attacking my first Divine Beast, Vah Ruta, and dealing with the whole Zora situation while simultaneously attempting to track down any signs of the memories Link needs to find. Also, Korok Seeds. That'll be interesting.

Secondly, Minecraft snuck up on me and became a source of a lot of my gametime. Finished setting up a second base layered with different types of rock, like a desert. (Calling it my "Torte-ress.") And soon, as soon as I finish discovering the joys of farming, finally, I'm going to start sailing and exploring the giant procedurally generated world.

Also, here and there, I've been jumping between Hollow Knight (Got the Dream Nail not too long ago), Enter The Gungeon (Finally made it to the third level for once), Super Mario Odyssey (Finished the main campaign, just trying to git gud enough to collect all the moons), Cuphead (On Inkwell Isle Three, almost to the Devil now), and Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (Managed to unlock my third form for my character, a frog).

9. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.

10. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    I've been playing FIFA 20 after I got EA early access for like $5! It gave me 10 hours of early playing time and it was fun!

11. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Well. What I wanted to do was play Dragon Quest XI S. But that didn't arrive on Friday. So what did I do instead? I started playing Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I had finished both Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Link's Awakening by Thursday, and the post (and my life generally) sucks - I just knew if I spent Friday doing nothing in the hopes I'd get DQXI it wouldn't come, and I would have wasted a day. Ain't got time for that. So I started NNK instead, reasoning that I could wait to play DQXI if it came. I really wanted to play NNK anyway, because I didn't get on with the PS3 version at all...but I didn't get on with Bayonetta or Skyrim on PS3 and I enjoyed both on Switch. NNK would be the same, right?

...nope. I can't stand it. It's a very pretty-looking game, and the music is fantastic, but god almighty it's a boring, tedious experience with some infuriatingly stupid game mechanics that have not aged well. My instincts about what I will enjoy or not enjoy are generally correct, but Ni No Kuni has frustrated me twice - I thought I'd enjoy it twice and both times I have not. If or when I finish this pile of trash expect a scathing review warning you off. If this was a Ghibli movie it'd be one of the bad ones, like Porco Rosso, rather than one of the good ones, like Howl's Moving Castle.

It just doesn't have any soul. This is a problem I noticed with a lot of amazing-looking JRPGs from the last generation - Eternal Sonata (and god did this one upset me because it's even more beautiful than this and the score is some of Sakuraba's best), Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Magna Carta II (although okay I enjoyed this one a bit) and The Last Remnant (which I will probably buy on Switch eventually because I hate myself) - where it has all the makings of a good game but falls short because it has no real...passion. The characters are lifeless, the gameplay doesn't measure up, just SOMETHING is off. It's still off. With Ni No Kuni there is the additional problem of the messed-up game mechanics, with familiar recruitment and EXP rates being negligibly low yet the game itself still retaining the requirement of grinding and mixing up strategies to exploit boss weaknesses. The end result? Chasing Toko enemies around for hours (because they run, and vanish, and they are faster than you) if you can even find them, fighting the same monster over and over for that under 10% chance of recruitment, and barely levelling at all in the meantime. Many JRPGs have that one monster that is insufferable to find or kill but nets obscene amounts of EXP - Dragon Quest has the metal slimes, as another one - but most other JRPGs will at least make combat with other enemies rewarding. This one doesn't.

I am presently Level 51 and I have some pretty strong familiars, but getting there has been a slog that I realise could have been much, much more tedious than it was. This a badly designed video game, with very little appeal beyond pretty visuals and a fairly good soundtrack (perhaps equal to the Final Fantasy series, but not equal to the likes of NieR, Xenoblade, or Sakuraba's better works such as Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, and Valkyrie Profile) which just aren't enough when the story and characters are so flat they could be self-insert protagonists for all the difference it'd make. I think I'm about 3/4 through the game and I am going to have to grind some more before I reach the final boss, and I am not looking forward to it. Really, I should stop. But I won't. Because I am not going to have this game hanging over me any more and I am a masochist with these things - I don't like not finishing what I start. If I drop it now it'll probably be another 6 years before I pick it up again, if ever. I WILL finish it.

So, in conclusion, I am playing Ni No Kuni. I was going to do all the side quests, but at this point I just want to finish it so I can play something I might actually enjoy. Like DQXI. That amazing-looking game I have been excited about for about a month - and anyone who has read any of my posts knows it is VERY rare for me to be excited about something - and really want to play right now. Although I'll probably be so burned out on JRPGs when I'm done this that I'll need a break. But that's OK. I have Resi 4 and Ori I want to play through too.

Don't be tempted to play Ni No Kuni, people. Don't be like me. Play something fun instead.

12. Hraesvelgr

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses I'm slowly making my way through my second route choice, the Blue Lions, taking it slower than the first route I picked since I have other things to play now as well.

13. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,978.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I have been making progress in my playthrough of Daemon X Machina as of late. Game is great, especially with the amount of customization available for your mechs the more you play. Just wish I had more people to play with, since it does have 4 player online co-op missions

14. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Juggling three games right now!

The first is Dragon Quest XI on Switch, which is pretty great. I'm not especially motivated right now because I played a fair bit on PS4 before I sold it because it was a) too slow, and b) had offensively bad music. Both issues have been fixed on Switch, so I'm looking forward to getting to where I was before and carrying on. Playing in 3D mode because I want the voice acting, but I am sorely tempted by 2D mode because it's just so much prettier. Sorry, but it is. The visuals are a pretty big downgrade on Switch from PS4 - I'm playing in handheld mode - and I just prefer 2D visuals. I may do a NG+ in 2D in the VERY distant future, but for right now, 3D mode is the mode for me.

The second is Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate...yeah, I've picked this up again. Mostly because I got the Hori Split Pad Pro and I want to see if playing the game with proper dual analogue is better...it is. It definitely is. As a gunner I hugely appreciate this. Right now I am just doing whatever, although I am sort of focusing on Crystalbeard and Drilltusk...I need those small crowns. Once I've got those two I can relax a bit, because I can easily solo the rest. I just...don't want to solo Rank X of those two potentially hundreds of times for that 6% chance of crowns. Fuck those small percentage rates, seriously. I'm not going to play this as much as I did previously, though. Maybe an hour or two a day. Anyone playing? Drop me a message on here or Discord (latter would be better) and we'll hunt! I am HR 381 and I'm up for anything that isn't an EX Deviant or 2-player Arena quest....I've S-Ranked those and I NEVER want to do them again. Especially the Barioth one. Good lord...

The third is...Far Cry 5. Yeah. I've not really touched my PS4 since I finished Kingdom Hearts III for some reason, and I decided I wanted to play something Western, because I am getting my fill of JRPGs on Switch. I'm not sure why I settled on Far Cry 5...because it's the latest one I suppose. New Dawn is a narrative sequel to it so that kinda rules that out. I'm hoping Assassin's Creed Origins will come to Switch next year, and the Gold version is still quite expensive (and yes, if I am going to play Origins I NEED the season pass content for it, it lets you fight pharaohs and Egyptian deities!) so I'm trying to resist it, despite loving the hell out of Odyssey and wanting more of that. I guess I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit too? Not to extreme lengths - I'm not going to pick up a racing, puzzle, or fighting game or anything - but...well, I like taking chances every now and then. It often pays off, on PS4 especially.

So far, so...okay I guess. I'd be enjoying this more if it was in third person, and had a different setting. It has this Bioshock Infinite feel to it that I really don't care for - by which I mean really bad stereotypical American accents mixed with religious extremism that doesn't resonate with me in any way whatsoever - but the gameplay is pretty immersive (yes, I know it's standard for the series, but this is my first Far Cry game, leave me alone) and...yeah, it's fun. I can't see myself becoming a huge fan of the series (although I might try Primal in the future if I like this enough; I love interesting settings) but first impressions are positive enough to keep me playing.

Aaaaand that's it. For now.

15. Wizard

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    I've been playing the demo for Dragon Quest XI on Switch. After a super slow first hour, the game is turning out to be something I didn't quite expect: relaxing. Most JRPG's I've completed require some focus and attention to complex plot points. DQXI truly nails the relaxing, laid back journey with a nice touch of urgency. Definitely looking forward to obtaining a physical copy soon.

Super Mario Maker 2 is pretty fun so far. It's extremely similar to the first one, but I've found some levels that I quite love. Excited to see what content I can find!

After finishing the disaster that Fire Emblem 6: The Binding Blade is, Fire Emblem 7 has been a worthy venture. The writing is MUCH better, the characters are awesome, and the gameplay is fair. Looking forward to entering the Eliwood act.

16. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I’ve been getting really into Hollow Knight recently. The atmosphere and art is fantastic, but the gameplay is still taking a bit to get used to. Metroidvanias aren’t exactly my best genre.

17. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    I've been kind of shuffling around games lately. Right now I've just gotten back to my playthrough of Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. It's a good game, but I kind of wonder what it would be like if it were just Super Mario Kingdom Battle. I also just beat the third boss of the game and boy was that fun.
    I'm also kind of getting back into Breath of the Wild (I'm so hyped for the sequel!) and I'll probably get around to finally trying out hero mode.

18. Hraesvelgr

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    Valkyria Chronicles 4, just finished the probably hardest battle so far where I felt I actually had a real chance at losing what a difficulty spike.

19. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    I am currently playing Rocket League yo

20. Wizard

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Lies. You're asleep.

I've been playing Fire Emblem 7 and Madden 19 (I'm too cheap to buy the series every year, k) quite a bit. I have only a couple of chapters left in Fire Emblem for Eliwood's story, and I'm on my fourth season in Madden franchise mode. Lots of fun with each of these games!