1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What are your thoughts on reusing ideas within a series?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Sonic Ramon, Dec 19, 2017.

?

Are you a boy or a girl?

1. Boy

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Girl

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Man (But that's the same answer as--)

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Woman (What the--)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Apache Helicopter (...)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY GENDER!? (I thought this meme died)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Random sixth answer cuz THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT! (*leaves Earth*)

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Sonic Ramon

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    Personally, I find it being okay to reuse ideas for your series.
    I know that it sounds a bit naive but when push comes to shove, you'll either have no choice but to go for that route or end the series off...unless you'd thought of an new idea, of course. But anyways, reusing ideas isn't entirely bad. It's just that not many creators try to make that reused idea feel new in its own way. Like say for instance, you already used the "kingdom is corrupted" plot idea and you want to reuse it again. Give it a different reason to why it's being corrupted instead of the same reason and introduce characters that are quite different than the ones in the previous "kingdom is corrupted" plot. Sure, it's still the same idea but it's different enough to not feel exactly the same. If any of that makes sense.

I know that you guys may or may not agree with me and that's fine. I just wanted to express my opinions on why reusing ideas isn't entirely a bad thing if done correctly, which, I will admit, is a hard thing to pull off because of people had seen this idea before in the past and would expect the same results. Now this isn't me saying that keep using this tactic to keep the series alive because that alone is much worse than reusing the idea itself. I'm saying that maybe reusing the ideas at least once or twice at times wouldn't necessary harm the series by any means if, again, is executed correctly. The plot may be the same but different elements can make it into something of its own at the same time, you know? nwn

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Actually, this thought came to mind when I decided to delete and rewrite one of my fanfics. Because it was so far into the plot, I had to kind of change up the plot to bring something new to the table, for both the readers and myself. I, too, think it's alright, as long as there's a certain twist to it to keep it fresh, as you've mentioned above. Otherwise, it just becomes boring and predictable. Plus, there's not really any such thing as an "original" plot anymore. Any plot you can think of has probably already been thought of in the past- it's all about how you're able to take that idea and make it your own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sonic Ramon likes this.
  3. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I try to do this. It's impossible to come up with something completely fresh; "All that can be done has been done", but people still come up with ways of presenting said material to keep it fresh, combining different elements and twists on elements. This is why you have tropes, subversions, double-subversions, and the like. Tropes are not bad, in and of themselves; how they are presented are why our interest is either drawn in or averted.

Sonic Ramon likes this.
  4. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Have The Same Point Of View As You-I Had Been Reusing The Same Idea Within Different Series.
    Like Current In Draft 'Dreamworld Universal-The Crystal Of Solar Dream','Dreamworld Universal-The Courageous Dairy of Daily Star' And 'Beyond The Inspiration-The Shining Legacy',I Reusing The Reference On My Favourite Spacecraft Again And Again In The Series.

"(*Talking To My Favourite Spacecraft In Dreamworld*)Really,How Many Time I Told You?-Don't Pop Up In Front Of Myself When I Am Writing,'Cassini'!"
    ~That Could Be Why My Favourite Spacecraft Keep Appearing In Those Series Of Mine...

5. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    I agree with this opinion. Reusing ideas is not inherently bad, it's inevitable in most circumstances. But it's the way you go about it that can make or break your series' momentum completely. (LOOKIN' AT YOU KUBO!!)

Sonic Ramon likes this.
  6. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I tend to reuse characters a lot. Like Zephyr and Shade. Both appeared in a Pokémon fanfiction I once wrote called When Heroes Rise, but I scrapped the story later. It needed a rewrite and I couldn't put forth the effort. Then when I wrote Pokémon Resonance, I decided to reuse them. Even Zero and Jack were reused. Zero was to be my character on a Digimon RP Forum I tried to start up while Jackson Powers is one of my characters on Star Force Roleplay Both were going to appear in Pokémon Cyber too, but it just never got off the ground. If I ever do get it off the ground, I'll probably reuse most of their teams too from Resonance.

In my opinion, it's fine to reuse characters because otherwise you have to come up with new characters, which isn't always easy. Same goes for Plot ideas, as said before, as long as it's different takes on the idea. The basic Idea can stay the same, but obviously you should change the details. Kind of like how I changed Atlas from SFRP. There he was Jack's WIzard, but because of his color scheme and lion's head, I made him into a Shinx in Resonance and a Luxio in Cyber. Of course so far his personality is nothing like the Atlas from SFRP.

In the end, it's hard to do everything from scratch as I tend to reuse a lot of concepts from my older projects in my newer ones. Heck, I even reused my username on an MMORPG as one of my character's names. I guess that technically does make him me even though I don't go by that name anymore, though that's mostly because I don't play that game anymore.

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I have no problem with reusing ideas as long as there handled well. You would though need to entirely rewrite the set up to the point that it wouldn't look like the original work. Or you can reuse inside your story. For example, you main character has a revenge story and you find another character with a revenge story. These two characters can play off their revenge stories and instead of just having them have the same background, they can grow from each other and maybe see the error of their ways through anothers perspective on the same topic.

I don't mind reusing ideas within a story. It just needs to be done well to prevent it from being repetitious.

Sonic Ramon likes this.
  8. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Ideas have multiple ways of being expressed whether it be through the characters, the way the plot unfolds, or something else. Ideas are just starts, not the story itself. There is nothing wrong with reusing an idea. It’s only a problem if the author doesn’t improve it and offer something new. Now whether that something new is better or not is a different question.

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Reusing is fine, but it needs to be handled well, you can't just copy paste the first idea you had. You have to work on it and try to make it stand out in another way.

10. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Reusing ideas is totally fine it just needs to be done right, which can be hard sometimes but is a common thing to reuse so I don't really see an issue with it you can still make it appear completely different.

11. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    It depends on the reason for the reuse. If an idea is being recycle just for the sake of it, be it because it was popular before or because there're no other ideas, then it's not going to work out well. It'll be too obviously a rehash because other elements will inevitably have to be moulded around the idea rather than things flowing more naturally.
    If an idea is reused meaningfully it'll work much better, giving emphasis to the idea itself as something meaningful to the work. The same idea can be used to explore other ideas too, using the familiarity of the recycled idea as a point of comparison.