1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What do you miss about the older style of Pokémon games?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    What do you guys miss about the older style of Pokémon before we transitioned to 3D? What would you like to see return in future games?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    The pokémon sprites to be honest, it was also fun seeing pokémon get new and usually better sprites as we progressed through the generations.

I don't have much in wishes in terms of returning aside from well stuff everyone else have already said a million times, like the Battle Frontier, in terms of actual features for the games I don't really have any wishes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I miss the game-breaking glitches, lol

But truthfully, I miss the contests, poffin making, ect, where you could tend to your Pokémon, dress them up, ect. I can tell that we'll probably never having a dress-up contest or event again due to how you'd have to model all the apparel and keep it stuck to one part of the Pokémon instead of letting you put it where ever- which was a huge enjoyment for me. Want to create a pretty dress for your Pokémon? Sure, just layer stuff together (I'd do White Flowers and colored Fluffs!).

FedoraMelody likes this.
  4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I miss the worlds seeming more open with more places to explore. Within the last couple of generations, everything has just seemed too linear. I like just going off trail and randomly coming across something. Or having secret areas that you could only access when certain conditions are met, like the places where you would catch the Regis in gen 3.

5. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I feel like the worlds were bigger in the older games, while they were kinda cramped on the 3ds. I want it to be bigger and more open, with more areas to explore and some really cool secret areas.

6. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Definitely the sprite artstyle, there’s just something so charming about the sprites that the 3D models lack even if they look better.

7. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I miss the sprites as well. The protag sprite always looked so cute and it was cool seeing all the different Pokémon sprites. I loved the animated sprites of Gen V, they were the best.

8. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Like everyone else, I liked the sprites. They were really charming and, I dunno, quaint? I also missed the soundtracks. Gen IV and V had some really great, nostalgic tracks. Finally, I think I miss the small things you could do. Like the Pokémon musical, making pokeblocks and poffins, the pokeathlon, getting ribbons for whatever reason... I'll most those things.

9. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Another vote for the sprites. I love pixel art a lot so I was sad to see it go.
    I feel a lot of the Pokémon models don't have much personality compared to their sprite versions but I think in future the 3d models will get better. (I think that having eyes that move as opposed to the countless starey stares would help a lot!)

10. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Yeah, I'm gonna say I miss the sprite work too. It had a certain charm that 3D models couldn't deliver. Not saying the 3D models are bad.

I also miss how in older generations, the colors used to pop a whole lot more. Now they look more muted, which is a little boring.

11. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    The fact that everything was 2d , the nonexistence of fairy types, steel type resisting more types. And absence of annoying mechanics like Mega evolutions and Z-moves. This is largely the reason why I stopped playing Pokémon much when gen 6 and gen 7 came along.

12. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    What I missed was the ability to go to more than one region in a single game, which only happened in generation 2. Not only did it let for more exploring and more story, it also let there be more places to find certain Pokémon. Therefore, the game lasted longer than any other Pokémon game out there.

13. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    That the regions felt a lot bigger in the older games, and less restrictive in a way as well. Like, you could actually explore around a bit and do your own thing, unlike in the newer games in which you are much more restricted in where you can look around (looking at you gen 7...). Look I know the older games had this sort of stuff as well, but in SM/USUM it just felt a bit, I don't know, much? Like the game was constantly holding your hand like a child.
    IDK, that might just be me though.
    And like others have already said, I do miss the sprites as well. Now, I don't hate the idea of sprites going to 3d models, it's just the way they were executed. I found I lot of the models looked stiff, lifeless, and bland. The bland colours were kinda fixed up in the gen 7 games, but that still didn't stop them from looking awkward. I'm hoping they improve on these in gen 8.

14. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I miss the fact that I didn't have to worry about Natures

... Prior to Gen 3, that is.

15. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I miss the music. The music in SM is good background pieces, but that's it, good background music. In the older games there were far better music all over the place. Even route themes pulled at some emotion from happiness to sadness. Who here remembers the first time they heard route 9's theme from gen 5. Even earlier than that, I remember the first time I heard the champion fight in gen 2. It was so bad ass for 8 bit, but in these new gens, there just isn't the same kind of flare.

16. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I kinda miss the simplistic, easy on the eyes style of the games. While 3D has made them look so much better it's harder to focus because of how much can be going on at once, this is the same with the battles. While all cool features that I appreciate being added, a part of me wishes they kept to the same formula, although they'd probably start to regress if that was the case.

17. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    tbh I liked seeing the sprite art evolve and become more detailed. Then the 3ds appeared with 3d models and I'm just like "oh okay then. ;-;"

18. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Probably the sprites and music! I think the pixel sprites were cute!

19. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I miss the Pokémon falling through the floor when they fainted.

Neb and Mandriel like this.
  20. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I miss the sprites so much. We only got animated sprites in Gen 5, and then we moved to models so fast? The human sprites were getting so good too, and then that was all ditched for the chibi overworld models which I didn't like at all.

Seeing the opponent trainers as sprites (sometimes moving even in Gen 4!) was a treat, but now it's just a png file plastered over an orange background. Geez I miss Gen 5 and back ;w;