1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What do you miss about the older style of Pokémon games?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Mar 11, 2018.

1. smol kirboi

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽101.5
    the amount of Pokémon, it used to be so easy to "catch them all". you only needed two games, now you need a ton of them, not to mention you have to pay $5 to use Pokémon bank to transfer them over

2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I, like many others in this thread, would like to see the sprites return to the series. 3D is nice, but I really loved the sprites and seeing how they improved with each new game.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I agree with Marine on the sprites, they were beautifully done and were so unique against the changing tides of 3D. I felt they had really hit an amazing point in Black and White when they added much more fluid animations to the battles and sprites. I would like to see a return or reference to these sprites again, but we will most likely be stuck with the 3D forms for the future.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    As with everyone else, the sprites did have a special place in my heart as well. I thought the fully animated sprites were the coolest thing ever at the time and was disappointed that they only lasted one generation.

5. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    its hard to describe honestly
    the older ones just had a much greater arcade feel and nostalgia factor with the pixels

6. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    The sprites, omg. Especially my beautiful yellow shinies which turned to mustard with 3D models. :(

[​IMG] -> [​IMG]

insert crying here

but yes, sprites! 3D models are definitely an amazing thing that were probably overdue, but there is something so charming about the pixel style we used to have.

ShinigamiMiroku and LostSpirit like this.
  7. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    I miss the battles. I mean the adding details of the moves were cool but for the nostalgia to me, the basicness being displayed in pixels was enough. Not all the extra show that made the battles get prolonged.

8. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I definitely miss the old animated sprites. They were charming, especially the gen 5 ones. It made the Pokémon feel alive despite being 2D. The colors were also much more vivid and vibrant. I don't know what happened when they transferred to the newer models, but they just look so muted and dull.

9. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I miss some of the older-styled cries. A lot of the "re-mastered" ones sound so... messy >_> Especially Salamence. What happened to that majestic roar?

10. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Asides from the vastly superior, far more colourful sprites?

I miss the games being fun. The more "story" focused approach they took in Gen VII especially was *extremely* off-putting to me, and I have a horrible feeling they're going to take a similar approach moving forward...it's been getting worse and worse since Gen V. I miss when Pokémon was about me and my journey, not a bunch of NPCs with no real personality.

I also miss 8-bit music. A lot. I'll take what we have now over that AWFUL Gen III soundfont, but something like the GB Sounds in future games that gave 8-bit remixes of the tracks would be great <3

11. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    The moving sprites from gen 5, I just wish the 3d models moved around a bit more. Other than that, stuff like the battle subway, battle frontier, and the safari zones. I miss the old fashioned ones, not the gen 6 ones.

12. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I really miss the sprites. I thought they were really colorful compared to the models. I don't hate models by any means, but I just like the sprites better.

13. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    Colors were more vivid, not pale.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  14. FedoraMelody

FedoraMelody Singing Sylveon

Sylvie
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽104.6
    Misty's EmblemDeep Sea Scale ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    I miss the mysterious missingno.

15. Friskian

Friskian Hex Maniac

Enemy Stand
    (Trickster)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    The Purple - Green Shiny Charizard

Aalacer likes this.
  16. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    I really love sprites, but I don't really miss them. What I miss is the overall feel they had, their colorful palettes and dynamic poses. Both can be easily adjusted to 3d models and yet they still don't modify them.

I want the game to become less stiff and flat :(

17. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Like someone earlier said, I miss Poffins and stuff like that. Berries are cool, but they really have not much of a use in the aftergame. Now that you can even grow Berries in Gen 7, I'm honestly a bit mad that Poffins or something else you could do with Berries isn't there.
    I also preferred the Gen 6 Pokémon-Amie over the Gen 7 one. Status conditions shouldn't heal instantly. And having to actually work for the Poffins and Puffs instead of instantly have 8591849 beans every time the beanstalk was ready felt a lot more fun. Now you just get free stuff after waiting 30 minutes instead of getting that thrill and rage and excitement when playing minigames or Poffin cooking with a friend and trying not to screw things up.

18. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I only realised this recently, but I miss the minimalist approach to cutscenes. In the older games, you could use your imagination in regards to how the characters said their lines, their expressions, etc. Now, everything's just shown to you, alongside the player character sauntering through the region with that silly blank smile. I like having more detailed cutscenes, but I also like being given room to picture how the scenes are playing out in my head. Maybe that's just me, but it's a minor thing that I miss.

19. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,138.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I miss the animations in battle like what they have in Gen 5, now they all sit still unless they’re flying. I also definitely miss the old coloring of sprites because now they all look washed out. I also miss using the d-pad for walking, rest in spaghetti, never forgetti.

20. Skullbash

Skullbash I will become the Pirate King

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,895.3
    GS Ball ★★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I miss when Pokémon games were named after colors and stones