1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What do you miss about the older style of Pokémon games?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Mar 11, 2018.

1. endmaster4390

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    the amount of Pokémon, it used to be so easy to "catch them all". you only needed two games, now you need a ton of them, not to mention you have to pay $5 to use Pokémon bank to transfer them over

2. Morgaine

Morgaine The Shiny Queen

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽815.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I, like many others in this thread, would like to see the sprites return to the series. 3D is nice, but I really loved the sprites and seeing how they improved with each new game.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cad: 76

Cad: 76 Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Legendary Egg
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽877.2
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I agree with Marine on the sprites, they were beautifully done and were so unique against the changing tides of 3D. I felt they had really hit an amazing point in Black and White when they added much more fluid animations to the battles and sprites. I would like to see a return or reference to these sprites again, but we will most likely be stuck with the 3D forms for the future.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bubbles

Bubbleon
    (Dragonair)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽118.7
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    As with everyone else, the sprites did have a special place in my heart as well. I thought the fully animated sprites were the coolest thing ever at the time and was disappointed that they only lasted one generation.

5. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    its hard to describe honestly
    the older ones just had a much greater arcade feel and nostalgia factor with the pixels

6. Sheep

Sheep Moderator

Meloetta Egg
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.8
    The sprites, omg. Especially my beautiful yellow shinies which turned to mustard with 3D models. :(

[​IMG] -> [​IMG]

insert crying here

but yes, sprites! 3D models are definitely an amazing thing that were probably overdue, but there is something so charming about the pixel style we used to have.

LostSpirit likes this.
  7. Coraline

Altered Giratina
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽0.4
    Rocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    I miss the battles. I mean the adding details of the moves were cool but for the nostalgia to me, the basicness being displayed in pixels was enough. Not all the extra show that made the battles get prolonged.

8. LostSpirit

Golgi Berry
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    I definitely miss the old animated sprites. They were charming, especially the gen 5 ones. It made the Pokémon feel alive despite being 2D. The colors were also much more vivid and vibrant. I don't know what happened when they transferred to the newer models, but they just look so muted and dull.

9. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Ya Boi Goozma

Dream Pig
    (Munna)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽64.0
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Rocky Helmet ★★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Gold Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    I miss some of the older-styled cries. A lot of the "re-mastered" ones sound so... messy >_> Especially Salamence. What happened to that majestic roar?

10. Dawn

Plantasaurus Rex
    (Ivysaur)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽18.4
    Ultra Ball
    Asides from the vastly superior, far more colourful sprites?

I miss the games being fun. The more "story" focused approach they took in Gen VII especially was *extremely* off-putting to me, and I have a horrible feeling they're going to take a similar approach moving forward...it's been getting worse and worse since Gen V. I miss when Pokémon was about me and my journey, not a bunch of NPCs with no real personality.

I also miss 8-bit music. A lot. I'll take what we have now over that AWFUL Gen III soundfont, but something like the GB Sounds in future games that gave 8-bit remixes of the tracks would be great <3

11. Jason-Tyler-Monroe

Jason-Tyler-Monroe Tactical and Special Ball Breeder

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10.1
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Philosopher's CowlStaff of VerityHeart Scale ★★Pinap Berry ★★
    The moving sprites from gen 5, I just wish the 3d models moved around a bit more. Other than that, stuff like the battle subway, battle frontier, and the safari zones. I miss the old fashioned ones, not the gen 6 ones.