1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What does Pokemon mean to you?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Flyg0n72, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Flyg0n72

Flyg0n72 School Kid

Torch
    (Torchic)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.8
    So I've always been curious, what does Pokémon mean to you?

As an avid fan myself, I've read the manga, played all the games, watched all the anime. To me, the spirit and core of the Pokémon Games is about the bond between a Pokémon and trainer, how its explored, and the journey you go on. Its about the experience, and the many ways being with Pokémon changes us. (One of the many reasons I love the new anime. It focuses on the world, not just one aspect).

Gyms and stuff are fun, but I think they are meant to serve as an expression of the strength of your bond with your Pokémon. Same with the concept of contests. I love the camp mechanic and the friendship mechanic of Pokémon dodging moves, curing themselves of poisoning etc. My favorite part of a new game is the journey and the new Pokémon I'll meet along the way. The discovery and exploring a new world. This is what it means to me. :D

So what I wanted to ask is, what does Pokémon mean to you? What does the franchise represent to you and what is your favorite aspect? I want to hear what you love about Pokémon!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

Fiona
    (Ducklett)
    Level 26
    PokéPoints:
    ₽17,286.5
    For me, Pokémon is about possibilities and potential.

When a new generation is unveiled, my mind goes into overdrive thinking about what could be there--what the characters are like, what we'll get to do, what the evil team is like, and so on.

And when all is said and done and "THE END" appears on the console screen, it's really not the end--I think about what could've happened if the story had gone differently, what isn't explained over the course of the adventure, what isn't explained in the Pokeverse as a whole, and more. Sometimes it's fun imagining Pokémon as a completely different genre altogether--so exploring various possibilities is what makes the overall universe resonate with me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Gazi Team Might

Flare
    (Lampent)
    Level 43
    PokéPoints:
    ₽529.8
    Pokémon has such an extensive world, and that's what mostly draws me back in. There are endless possibilities of what pokémon can bring us. I also love to see what each new region has to offer, and the so many different ways that the world of pokémon can parallel ours while still being completely different. Because of the nature of pokémon, it's also so easy to make up pokémon and even whole regions for ourselves. Pokémon may be a simple series of games, but it inspires so much creativity, and that's why I love it.

WavePearl likes this.
  4. Infernostar

Infernostar Team Wisdom

Kagero
    (Shedninja)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,047.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    When I think of Pokémon, a few things pop to mind. I typically recall a large region to explore, new Pokémon of shapes, sizes, colors and types to discover, challenges to overcome, a decent length for a main story, and plenty of post game content that will keep me coming back for more. This extends slightly into the side games, new worlds, new challenges, new gameplay that I hope can hold my attention for a playthrough. Only rarely does Pokémon fall below my expectations, but that hurts when it happens.

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 40
    PokéPoints:
    ₽685.5
    It’s reminds me of simpler times.

Pokémon is so soothing since it’s really laid back. Building your team is extremely satisfying, especially since there’s so many potential Pokémon you could have. And on top of that, growing a connection to your Pokémon is really special and gives you more immersion into the game.

Pokémon is a great series and will always hold a special place in my heart but game freak really should try to not do what they did with SnS again. It wasn’t bad but it felt so underwhelming compared to the other games.

6. Flyg0n72

Flyg0n72 School Kid

Torch
    (Torchic)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.8
    I love hearing all the input so far. it fascinating to see what different things stick out to different people. I totally agree with everyone's points. The imagining new aspects of the story, the creativity that the games inspire, and exploring a brand new region of new Pokémon.

I just love building a new team, usually of brand new Pokémon, and with the various interactivity features (like Pokémon aime or camp), bonding with my 'mons.

I personally love to make up a sort of story in my head sometimes, of what my trainer's personality is like.