1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What drives you to do what you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by POKE, Apr 12, 2017.

1. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    Is there any motivation that leads you to do something like when you are doing your favourite thing or even writing ff?

What sake do you do it for, just to do it or for a reason?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    The way I am treated, other people's negative opinions and such

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    This is quite an interesting topic and carries with it a lot of untapped potential. I like this idea and look forward to see where it goes.

There are a handful of things that motivate me, depending on the context and situation. Desire to assist, sharing of knowledge, wanting to better others, help out friends, make people smile, compare thoughts...the list goes on. But they do have a common theme, and it's usually based on strengthening other people, or making them better off in some way. Granted, I do have some sense of personal pride, on things I enjoy doing, and that can shine through as I go about various tasks. So it's probably a slight mix of both, with whichever showing as more dominant depending on the situation.

4. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I'm very ambitious, like seriously so. I'm always looking to improve myself and help others too. So I guess you could say my ambition drives me, but I have many lovely friends who help too :3

5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am driven by approval, I just want people to like what I do and appreciate it. It is all I can hope for, to make people happy and please them.

6. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Seeing how far others have gone, and how hard they're trying, is a huge motivator for me. I'm naturally a procrastinator so it can be really hard to give myself a push, especially when it comes to consistency with art/writing aaaa, but seeing the work others put in makes me want to try more. And then there are the positive responses I get from people when I finally do finish something creative and show it... Feels so nice to be acknowledged. Same with generally helping other people. Whenever others are happy, it makes me strive to do more. ^ ^/

7. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Well I am motivated by people's expectations and their thoughts about me. People think I cant do something that's the thing what makes me to improve skills so as to prove I can do better.
    I also like people to smile and be happy always. For this, I try to make happy atmosphere but if I fail oh well xD.
    I have my goals and targets set for myself that is also a reason I try to do many things to achieve them or at least try to.

8. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    What motivates me? Boy, that's an interesting question! What I believe motivates me is simply the pursuit of finding the thing I really want to do, and pushing myself to get there. For instance, when I write my fanfics, I try my best not to fold into doing what hundreds of other people have done, but instead, I try to define myself by doing something absolutely unique and never done before. To this end, I'll pursue with all my heart until I achieve my dreams!

9. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    For my writing, it's a deadline every week I have set.

(Just a note, I don't want to overdo it with a political subject and I'll try and keep it subtle, but if you have different views do not reply just to argue with me.)

In the real world, I'm motivated by people... the people that are attacked, condemned, and in need of support. I'm a very selfless person (putting others' needs usually before my own) so I just don't stand by and let people suffer. Ever since last fall, I've realized how much some people need help or a supportive friend (like groups of people that are targeted because they are different), so that had given me determination to make a difference in some way, no matter how big or small.

10. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    What motivates me is probably either the reward (yeah, I'm corrupt) or my current mood. If I'm in a good mood, I can comfortably set my mind to things and achieve them. If I'm not, all I really do is procrastinate. Other people's opinions don't really affect me in terms of motivation. For example, I do well in school because I want to know how the world works in physics, and I can't study physics unless I finish school. It's really all just about what I want to do later on that I act on now, because I am #NotAbnegation
    #MissingNo

11. UnderTheMoon

PokéPoints:
    ₽79.3
    I am driven towards getting to the end for writing, I really want to get to the end or to another piece for that matter. Like with writings I usually never have a single "book", I always must have sequels to finish out character arcs and finish bloodlines.

12. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    I do it for the fanbase and the any other artists/writers out there.
    To show 'them' it's not so hard, when you put your mind to it.

Talents are a rare thing, but not near impossible to possess.

13. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    Probably fear of others reactions if I don't do it, is the primary factor.
    My other is interest in the thing.

14. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    The constant fear that I will run out of time and never have the opportunity to do that one thing again

Okay, but seriously, one year goes by really quickly. What if I don't have enough years to write all the fanfiction I want? Let's be honest, for the majority of people, being a fanfiction author is not a stable career, and that's why it's best to do it as a part time hobby. But I'm scared that eventually I'll go into college and I won't have enough time to write fanfiction, or draw, or heck, even take the classes that I want to take.

So yeah, fear is my primary motivator.

15. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I am constantly driven by my fan's appreciation for my art! Which is quite the feat for someone as anxious as I am. :blush:

16. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    Mainly, I do thinks for my own desire, but it's also always nice to have the respect and appreciation from others.