1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Smash What if Super Smash Bros. is just like Mortal Kombat?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by ThomasP, Feb 23, 2022.

1. ThomasP

ThomasP PKMN Breeder

Eelie
    (Tynamo)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,383.3
    What's up, guys. I'm just wanting to know what if the next Super Smash Bros. game after Ultimate is just like Mortal Kombat?

2. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,929.3
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Uhh....why would it be? MK is a completely different style and feel to it, and the last thing Nintendo would ever want to do is put their characters in an M rated, gorey fighter where you can brutally slaughter your opponent to finish them off. Not exactly the image they would want to go after

3. ChaosFox

ChaosFox Swimmer

Sparkles
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽333.1
    Well besides the fact that some of the games are from at the very least teen rated games though I am pretty sure some of the metal gear games are rated M.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    I don't think I understand the question. Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat are completely different games that have next to nothing in common apart from both technically being in the same genre. Trying to make one play like the other makes no sense whatsoever.
    Unless you're asking if the next Smash Bros will be an over-the-top gorefest like MK, in which case... no, just no. That wouldn't fit Nintendo's branding at all and would quickly alienate the majority of their fanbase, not to mention probably limit the number of third party companies willing to cooperate with them. Nintendo would never even consider that an option, nor should they.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ChaosFox

ChaosFox Swimmer

Sparkles
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽333.1
    Because Mortal Kombat was never on the Nintendo systems.... and no I am not saying that Smash Bros should be like MK. But to say Nintendo would do a non family friendly game is laughable. I mean look at the switch I know they put D3 out on it. And I am sure there are other titles that are not kid friendly on it. If anything not allowing Mature rated games to be playable on their system would chase away more third party companies. Again not saying Smash Bros should be like MK but it is because of the game not the fact that it would chase people away from the switch or third party companies.

6. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    I didn't mean that Nintendo doesn't allow M rated games on their systems, I mean that they wouldn't allow their iconic characters that make up the bulk of Smash's roster in a game like MK. And my reference to 3rd party companies was in reference to how a lot of the third party characters in Smash, such as Sonic or Pac-Man, also have strict branding that wouldn't allow for an M rated fighting game. Obviously Smash already has characters from M rated games such as Bayonetta, Snake and Joker (there are also M rated Castlevania games but Richter and the version of Simon used in Smash aren't in those ones). Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

7. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,929.3
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    All the mainline Metal Gear Solid titles are Rated M, as is Bayonetta. Also, Mortal Kombat was absolutely on Nintendo Systems, a large chunk of the series is, including MK 11 on Switch.

We were never saying that Nintendo couldnt do M rated games, they've done that before and likely will again, but they know their audience and they know that their identity is a more family oriented one, and pivoting away from that to make preexisting series M rated, especially one as popular with younger players as Smash would be seen as a bad call. It didnt work for Sonic, and for good reason, its not something people are demanding, and would not be something worth pursuing

8. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,293.6
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    As a complete hypothetical, this is pretty amusing to think about. Would love to see Pichu's fatality :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    "Mortal Kombat was never on Nintendo Systems"
    Mortal Kombat has been on Nintendo Systems, heck the OG 1992 MK had versions on the Gameboy and SNES. MK being on Nintendo (and Sega) systems led to the creation of ESRB game ratings, after all!

in regards to the idea itself, big no. everyone else has explained it perfectly- the child friendly characters (aka everyone besides Bayonetta, Snake, Joker... Pyra/Mythra are tentative as they're not rated M, but rated T) would not look well with fatalities. 3rd party characters would likely be lost as well due to Capcom and Sega not wanting their characters portrayed in such ways either. Can you imagine Mario vs Sonic with MK fatalities? It'd be like the edgy fanworks from the 90s during the height of the Nintendo/Sega console wars! lol