1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What is corn?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChocoChicken, Oct 11, 2019.

?

What is corn?

1. A fruit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A vegetable

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. A grain

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Which one of these categories does corn best fit in? Discuss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    This question is both complex and simple. The term 'corn' has actually changed meaning over time to refer to different things. It was actually once used to refer to wheat or several other kinds of grain and as far as I'm aware of is actually still used for that purpose in some areas. What we now normally refer to as corn is technically called maize, which is a plant native to the Americas that was later introduced to the rest of the world after the Spanish started to colonize (or rather, subjugate) the 'new world'. Maize is officially classified as a 'cereal' which in this context basically just means that its an edible grain. Although, apparently the edible parts of grain (such as corn kernels) are referred to as caryopsis and are classified as a type of dry fruit. Caryopsis is basically just the technical term for what we normally refer to as grain, which means that corn is for all intents and purposes a form of grain.

tl;dr Corn is actually maize which is a type of grain, but grain is technically a form of fruit.

Another interesting fact is that vegetables don't exist. To be more precise, 'vegetable' is strictly a culinary term that's not actually used in botany. Things that we refer to as vegetables are actually fruit, roots, stems, leaves or even flowers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    As far as I'm concerned, it depends on how you use it. If you make corn into flour, it's a grain, if you just cook it and eat it as is, it's a vegetable.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    So you mean to tell me corns isn't the junk that my feet start turning into when I keep wearing worn-out socks long past their due?

I think we should as the corn what it thinks it is. Here we all are debating while not asking the real authority on corn's authority! Time to give a call to mizz maize for a firsthand statement. I'll get back to you when she finishes describing the situation to me.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  5. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    Corn is an anomaly that the SCP Foundation was not able to contain, so they released an amnestic to the general public to make us think that we’ve always had corn. I don’t trust it.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  6. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Corn seems to fall into multiple categories, leading me to believe that it is secretly an otherworldly entity sent to Earth in order to confuse us about what vegetables truly are. I shall dub this new type of edible “cornbulite.”

ChocoChicken likes this.
  7. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Dang, I thought I clicked on Wikipedia for a second. Good to know!

And I'm a potato expert not a corn expert, so I have nothing to add. Corn is yes.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  8. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    I may or may not have looked up Wikipedia to get some of that information, though a lot of it I already knew off-hand.

ChocoChicken and Wizard like this.