1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What is your favourite trio of starters?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Ethereal, Feb 28, 2018.

?

Favourite starter trio

1. Gen I (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle)

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Gen II (Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Gen III (Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip)

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Gen IV (Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Gen V (Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Gen VI (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Gen VII (Rowlet, Litten, Popplio)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Title is self explanatory. Which generation had your favourite trio of starters?
    My favourite would have to be gen 7's trio. Usually there is at least one starter introduced each generation that I'm not really keen on. For me it was Squirtle in Kanto, Chikorita in Johto, Treecko in Hoenn, Turtwig in Sinnoh, and the Fennekin line in Kalos. The only exceptions would be Gen 5, and of course, Gen 7.
    I love all of the Alola starters. All of them, in my opinion, have really well designed evolutions.
    Gen 7 also happens to be the only generation where I've made room for all three of the starters on my teams.
    Gen 5's trio comes in at a close second for me. Though I thought Serperior was a disappointing evolution to one of my favourite Pokémon, I don't hate it, and overall I like the starters of this gen and their evolutions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm probably really biased because my favorite gen is gen 2, and it's the first gen I ever started with. I think they're super cute (although Chikorita is probably my least favorite out of the trio). I'm not one of those players that chooses Pokémon on stats though lol. I choose based on if I like their appearance or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SawstheSawsbuck likes this.
  3. SawstheSawsbuck

SawstheSawsbuck Sir Sawsbuck

Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽560.5
    Master BallLegendary Triforce ★★
    Gen 7 would be my least favorite due to only liking one full evo line (Rowlet), 2 of an evo line (Litten), and not at all liking the third one (Popplio)

anyways my favorite would have to be Gen 3, the Mudkip and Torchic lines are awesome and while not a huge fan of Treecko it still is a cool line
    Every Gen has at least 2 good starters imo but Gen 3 stands out the most in my mind (and is also probably helped by nostalgia due to Emerald being my first Pokémon game)

same!

4. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    2, 3, and 7 are the best. :)

5. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Gen 2 and gen 4 are good ones for me, I like the starters in there. But I gotta give it to gen 3 on this, I always have trouble deciding between those starters, I don’t have a clear favorite and I don’t have one I dislike more than the others. They’re the most solid ones for me.

6. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I voted for Gen 3. Easily has my most favorite Pokémon in Treecko, Torchic and MUDKIP!

7. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,549.0
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Gen V for me. I love all the base forms a ton, and the final evolutions are really cool (although Emboar loses a bit of its flare for being the third god damn Fire/Fighting starter in a row). I mean, Samurott is one of my favorite Pokémon ever.

Gen III is a very close second though. I love the Treeco and Torchic lines (Blaziken is also one of my all-time favs), and while I didn't use to like Mudkip's evolutions very much, they have grown on me over the years and that just solidified when I decided to one him in my recent nuzlocke.

8. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    While every generation has good starters, most also have bad ones. Chikorita is enough to kick Gen 2 out for me, and same with Quilladin and Torterra. I love the Gen 5 starters' base forms, but they lose because Tepig's evolutions are a huge disappointment. Gen 7 has good ones, but Popplio is kind of underwhelming for me, while it's evolved forms are the opposite extreme. Gen 1 has great ones, and I love Bulbasaur a lot, but Venusaur is very ugly, and Charizard is overhyped. Gen 3 wins for me because every starter in all of its forms is great, each for different reasons, and feel unique while still being relatively simple. Except the megas, those are awesome because of their complexity and unique uses.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I'd have to say gen 2 because that's the only generation where I actually like ALL of the starters, and I legitimately have a hard time deciding which one to pick. I also like each of the evolutionary stages of all of the gen 2 starters and wouldn't mind not evolving them or only evolving them once. Generally I'm not a fan of the water starters, but the Totodile line is easily my favorite of the water starters. Primarina is pretty cool, although I'm not a fan of the pre-evolutions.

10. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Gen two has a special place in my heart despite me starting my Pokémon journey with gen one. Chikorita is special to me ;w; <3
    I do really really like the past two gen's starters though! I dunno if that's just because I started watching the anime again with gen six though!

11. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    My own personal favorites from least to greatest:

• Gen II: Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile: I feel they're both bland design-wise and gameplay wise. At the time they were introduced, I feel that everyone preferred the Gen I starters. Only one I really touched in Crystal and HGSS was Cyndaquil and I still found it to be difficult at time to use.
    • Gen V: Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott: Same thing as above, but I did like the base forms. Emboar and Samurott turned out to be disappointments simply because the former was another fire-fighting (although I do understand why it is so since the three fire fighting evos represent different styles of martial arts) and the latter was just a slightly slower Feraligatr with minute differences. Same typing and all. I'm also wondering how in the world Emboar is faster than Incineroar?
    • Gen IV: Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup: I actually enjoyed using these guys, Torterra and Empoleon (fav final starter typing) had a nice mixture of offense and defense. I was again disappointed but understanding of Infernape.
    • Gen VI: Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie: Typings...awesome...design...awesome. I guess the only reason it's not my favorite was because I feel that Mega Evolution of the Gen I starters overshadowed it. I love the "warrior" theme of the final evolutions going from a knight, witch/mage and ninja.
    • Gen I: Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle: You were pretty much the coolest trainer in town if you had all three of these Pokémon in your roster. I've used them extensively and their designs are fantastic even compared to today's.
    • Gen VII: Rowlet, Litten and Popplio: My second favorite trio. Each one is really cool and vastly different from one another. Kinda wish they were a little faster. Decidueye has 70 base speed compared to Incineroar and Primarina's 60.
    • Gen III: Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip: My personal favorite. It excites me more that they had gotten Mega Evolutions. I feel like they had more of an in-tune design compared to nature, fitting right in to Hoenn's warmer climate as opposed to something else like seeing a fire monkey in the cold Sinnoh region.

12. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    I'm going to go ahead and rank the generations of starters from favorite to least favorite.
    • Gen 1-Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Bulbasaur or all some of my favorite starters for a combination of their great designs and good evolutions, as well as a great big heap of nostalgia. Between the three, Charmander wins out as my favorite because Charizard is an awesome dragon, even if its not actually a dragon type except as Mega Charizard X (which I actually don't like, mostly because of it randomly having Charizard's shiny coloration by default instead of the normal orange).
    • Gen 3-One of the few generations where I honestly like all of the starters and their generations, though the Torchic line would have to be my favorite here. The addition of Mega evolutions only increased my liking of these three.
    • Gen 4-Probably the last generation where I've liked all of the starters, though I don't really like any of them as much as the previously mentioned starters. Turtwig stands out as my favorite this gen, but not by much.
    • Gen 5-I love the Oshawatt line, but there's just something off about the Snivy line and I'm still upset that Emboar is Fire/Fighting like the previous two fire starters, when it looks like it should be Fire/Dark.
    • Gen 7-I like the three starters of this generation, but I feel like I have problems with all of their final evolutions. Decidueye changes from the Grass/Flying of its previous forms to Grass/Ghost, which feels like it actually makes it weaker than Dartrix, since there are so many Dark types and Pokémon with Dark type moved this generation. My Dartrix in Sun went from my strongest member of my team to going down in one or two hits every battle the moment it evolved. I was also mildly disappointed by its sudden Robin Hood motif when Rowlett and Dartrix felt like they were building up to this awesome owl butler design that probably would have been much cooler. Litten and Torrocat were both good and I was looking forward to seeing their final form, and then we got a wrestler. What? It feels like they made another Fire/Fighting type, realized that fans were sick of Fire/Fighting starters and changed it to Fire/Dark, but didn't feel like changing the design at all. My only real problem with the Popplio line is that Primarina feels very feminine, but still has the same 87.5% chance of being male as all of the other starter Pokémon.
    • Gen 2-Overall I'd say I liked these starters, but with the exception of the Totodile line, they just feel kind of plain and underwhelming compared to the other starter Pokémon.
    • Gen 6-I liked the Chespin line, but that was about it this gen. Fennekin and Delphox were kind of cool, but were dragged down by how much I hate Braixen (what's with the stick in its tail? That just looks stupid.). The Froakie line also starts out pretty cool, but I think ninja's are kind of overrated and Greninja's tongue scarf is just plain silly.

BraviaryScout likes this.
  13. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I love gen 3 with gen 1 coming up close behind mostly because I like treeko and torchic and for gen 1 I love charmander. Both gens have the majority of my Pokémon memories and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

14. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Am I the only person here who likes the Kalos starters? The theme of fighter-mage-thief, finally giving us a (non-legendary) Fire-Psychic, and generally satisfying aesthetics and tactics all around? Every other generation there's at least one full evo that I dislike in some aspect, such that if I had a random starter chosen for me there'd be between a 33% and 100% chance (I'm looking at you, Sinnoh) I'd be disappointed with what I got, but Kalos I'd be happy with any starter. It even provided my first case of liking the Grass starter most of the trio ever.

15. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,032.8
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Gen 2 for me, I really like those starters even if I'm not the big Chikorita fan I don't dislike that one, the most of the other sets there's usually always one I dislike.

16. Wicked3DS

Wicked3DS Bug Catcher

Pierce
    (Weedle)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.1
    I ultimately voted Gen I because of Charizard being my favorite, but Gen III is really close.

17. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Its a tie between gen III and gen IV. I loved Turtwig and piplup for what they evolve into. I even love Infernape for its fighting abilities. Gen III is amazing because its gen III. One of the few times when I can say that all of the starters look cute(especially Mudkip). All three evolve into such great Pokémon and each hold a special place in my heart.

18. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    Gen VII has the best designed starters and I haven't been impressed with such a starter revelation ever since Gen IV.

19. Blair_Chandra

Blair_Chandra Torchic Queen

Blaze
    (Combusken)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    Easily Gen 3 if only because Torchic is my favorite starter. I have a tattoo of him for a reason.

20. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    My Favourite Will Be Gen 5/Gen 7.

Althought My First Generation Starter I Play Is Generation 2(I Forget Which Starter),But Generation 5 And Generation 7 Catch My Attention.But Generation 5 Keep My Passion For Pokémon Going With Amazing Storyline-In Addtion,I Also Chosen Snivy As My Starter Since I Watched The Playthough And Manage To Play The Game For A Period Through ROM Files.

BUt My Game Are Removed From The App-So,I Going To Restart All Over Again If I Can WIth New Better Name.(I Maybe Replace 'Geronimo' With 'Cassini' As My Snivy's Name And Change My Trainer Name-'Geroniny' Is Way Too Long For Generation 5 Trainer Naming...)