1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What is your intended college major?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vigilance, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    A lot of you folks are probably in college, just starting college or heading to college next year. At someone point, either during applications or once you met with an academic adviser, you've probably had the "what's your major" talk.

So...what's your major (or planned major) and why did you get into it? Are you planning on double majoring (or adding minors) and how excited are you about it?

Me first:
    - Business Administration Major (concentration undecided). Possible Public Policy or Economics double major.

I chose it cause I love interacting with people and enjoy working in these types of settings. I want to do something with investments in the corporate financial world which sounds like a ton of fun. I also love project management among other things. I'm considering adding a Public Policy major (discussing policy and debating it is really fun) though economic policy is cool too and economics in general is very interesting so that's a consideration as well.

Eventually I hope to go to law school at some point.

Now what about you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Momo Kiseki likes this.
  2. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,929.3
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Currently I am a major in Game Design, focusing more on the storytelling aspect rather than the programming aspect. It's a very recent field of study, but its extremely open given how broad a subject game design is. And as someone that wants to make games for a living, its the perfect fit.

Momo Kiseki likes this.
  3. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    A bachelor of Arts, specifically in creative writing.
    I don't start it till next year but I'm looking forward to it.

It not only helps when it comes to learning Australian standards in writing but it can open way more pathways up outside being an author so I can find a career that I'll enjoy while still writing on the side.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    I chose before I graduated highschool to not go to college yet, since I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Like, I could have just jumped for some business degree and called it a day, but I would be dropping so much of my time in money into something I may not even finish.

But, finally, I know what I want to do for a career, and my plan is one day to return and attend art school!

I'm a completely self-taught artist, which means my foundations can be really shaky. What I want out of art school is the mentorship and auditing from others so I may discover what art tools will benefit me in the long run. Especially since I want to make comics for the rest of my life. Really the degree is less important to me than the skills it will teach me. :P But that's for, perhaps, 30yo me to decide.

Absolute Zero and Vigilance like this.
  5. Wabi Sabi

Ralts
    (Ralts)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽130.0
    Environmental science.

I've often jumped between what I wanted to do in life, like many and perhaps every child, but it was only recently that I decided to stick with environmental science. I've always been a science nerd, but I especially love everything relating to ecology and biology. Nature is just so interesting, you know? I would've stuck to ecology, but environmental science is far more broad and opens many more job opportunities.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  6. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Just wanted to mention that taking time to decide what you're really interested in pursuing is a stellar way to set yourself up for the future. Best of luck Bug!

7. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm a computer science major, with an emphasis on game development. I'm finishing up my last year now. Only a couple more exams, and I'm done.

Absolute Zero and Vigilance like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I wanted to be a psychologist, but two professors pushed me out of the course by mistreating me and spreading rumors about me because in their own words: an autistic person shouldn't be in the field

So I took office administration, and all the professors there were kind and understanding, its so bizarre.

Vigilance likes this.
  9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Astronomy and physics duel major.

Ever since I was young, I've always loved space and have been pursing a degree in astronomy. You'll often find that, this is the case for most astronomers, which is a sharp contrast to those with physics majors who just do it because they found it easy in college. I've also found that physics is rather dry and unenthusiastic, where as astronomy is fun, colorful, inspiring and nice while still using the same concepts. I'm not choosing a duel degree because I want to go into physics, I'm doing a duel degree because if you take the astronomy prerequisites its just three classes away from a duel degree. I've already done various research projects in the field of astronomy and I've found my love in stellar research. That's a very broad field, but I'll find what I want to focus on in time. I've also found that I could get a coding certificate because of the amount of coding we do in astronomy. Coding isn't the first thing I'd think about when it comes to astronomy, but you got to be able to take 2000 data points of light detection and turn them into something useful some how (2000 is an underestimate).

Vigilance likes this.
  10. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I’m shooting for a major in Japanese since I’d like to be a translator for books, movies, video games, and manga. At the rate I’m going, I should be graduating High School by next June. To get a head start, I’ve been taking Japanese as my required language.

For minors, I’ll either go with social psychology or linguistics. Both are subjects I’m deeply interested in and wish to know more about.

#10 Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Vigilance likes this.
  11. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I major in Bible and Theology, with minors in Writing and Biblical Languages (that is, Ancient Hebrew and 1st-century Greek).

Absolute Zero likes this.
  12. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Dude I interact with you quite often and didn't know at ALL that you were a final year comp sci major (you coulda helped me with my 101 coursework) but that's so awesome! Best of luck with that!
    That is extremely bizarre. Have no doubt you'll do a great job pursuing what you want to!
    Honestly reading this was sooo fascinating. Definitely been intrigued by Astronomy/Physics but not had time to take classes but it sounds really cool. Go you!
    Keep at it Neb! Sounds like you're doing great and we have full faith in you being the best at what you're setting out to be! :D

SyWry likes this.
  13. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I started off as a Psychology major, before bouncing around a bit in English and Biology and then settling into Chemistry. I've got my BS in Chemistry now, but rather than going farther there, I think I'm going to Biology next!

See I work for a doctors' office, and the second biggest benefit to that is that I can make connections there. I osmose information from everything going on around me, I get used to the humanistic parts of medicine, and I can easily get letters of recommendation into exclusive programs. So I'll be going back to school for Biology with those letters of recommendation in hand to do some kind of medical stuff, likely hospital lab work of some kind.