1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

what kind of gamer are you?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I'm a complicated gamer, I guess.

When I was younger I got very few games in a year - my birthday is unfortunately very close to Christmas, and it was rare for me to get games outside of my birthday and Christmas, as money was in short supply. So I had to make the most of what I had...I was a completionist at a young age, and this is a habit I've KINDA kept as I've gotten older. When I was a NEET and too ill to work I developed a taste for Platinum trophies and spent a lot of time on very few games...and still bought a lot of games, because I could. So the backlog built up. I've spent a few years trying to clear it, but that meant finishing the main story/whatever of a game and then immediately moving on, and certain games I REALLY wanted to do the postgame of...but time is a precious resource, and all the time I was spending on a game I'd beaten was time I could have spent on a game I hadn't played yet.

Right now I'm struggling to find a balance between the two philosophies I can be happy with. I want to get the most out of my games, but I also want to experience as many as I possibly can...these two things do not mix. Not unless I win the lottery, which I haven't as of yet unfortunately. Generally I've been taking it one game at a time and learning where to pick my battles. Platinum trophies are off-limits because they often take too long. Postgame stuff depends on what it is. 100%-ing inventory, maxxing out characters, etc? Not a chance. Generally speaking.

I buy too much. I definitely buy too much. I tend to preorder things because I'm afraid of the prices going up - and believe me, it happens all the time with JRPGs and Nintendo games. But I like having games to hand for when I am in the mood to play them...my mood fluctuates wildly with games sometimes. But I like having variety and choice, and because I strongly dislike paying disgusting prices for digital games, it's the way to go for me. I know when I DON'T need something, at least. But I still buy more than I should.

I also love replaying stuff and need to force myself to not spend all my time replaying stuff...or do I, I wonder. Surely the point is to have fun? Replays are fun for me...every three or four years, anyway.

My primary interest is JRPGs, but as I've gotten older and have developed higher standards that are generally not met (my holy trinity is Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of Berseria, and Final Fantasy XII, and that is a VERY high standard to meet...very little impresses me now) I've branched out to try new things...because it's boring, playing what is essentially the same thing over and over. I still play a lot of JRPGs, but I've tried a lot of things I would never have even looked at twice a couple of generations ago - Farcry, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Dishonored, BioShock, Borderlands, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. Stuff developed by Western developers that has attracted significant praise. I'm still a ways off from trying something like a wartime shooter (well, I tried the new Wolfenstein games and found them lacking) or a game that prioritises detail and visuals over accessibility and convenience like Red Dead Redemption 2 (although I did seriously consider trying it) and puzzle/racing/fighting games are just not my genre, but I am less confined in my interests than I used to be.

I wouldn't describe myself as "hardcore" - just because gaming is my primary hobby, I generally play for at least 5 hours a day, and I'm pretty good at a lot of games people find hard (I found all three Dark Souls games pretty easy and I suppose that is the "gold standard" for hard, so yeah) doesn't make me "hardcore" or whatever. Everyone has things they're good at, and I just have a head for numbers, strategy, and reading boss attack patterns. Anyone could beat me at Mario Kart or Smash. I wouldn't describe myself as "casual" either because I play games a lot and I know a lot about games...although not a lot about the hardware itself, because I just don't give a damn about engines, framerates, or polygon counts. I just like playing video games. By myself, unless it's Monster Hunter or with my partner.

I guess I'm the kind of gamer who plays to have fun but likes to get a reasonable measure of satisfaction from what they play, leading to varying degrees of seriousness. I play to relax, to enjoy myself, to get a sense of pride from doing something, to escape from the drudgery of everyday life, because I'm bored, because I'm angry, because I'm sad...whatever. Video games are my outlet and they have a variety of uses and meaning for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    This absolutely depends on the situation. Do I get mad and say very messed up things out of anger? Absolutely but for the most part I try to be a pleasant and welcoming person in groups.