1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What languages do you speak / want to learn?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tomatketchup, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomatketchup

Tomatketchup Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    What language do you guys speak, or do you have any languages you want to learn? :)

Personally I know Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and English. Right now I'm trying to learn Icelandic as well as Old Norse (yeah, I'm really into vikings...). German and Dutch interest me as well, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered to learn those languages as well. :P

What about you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Banshee

Banshee Pokémon Professor

Gregg the Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽62.1
    Other than English. . . I had to take two years of Spanish and despite this, I only know a tiny bit of Spanish. I know a few phrases in French and Japanese. But in all, I probably couldn't hold a conversation with any of those foreign languages. : <

I would love to learn Russian or German though!

3. tacoroach

tacoroach Collector

(Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽47.7
    I know English obviously and a little bit of Japanese. I could probably hold a very basic conversation and form really easy sentences but that's about it.

I want to learn Italian because it's my heritage and also want to learn Hebrew. My boyfriend's family speaks Hebrew probably about 90% of the time so I think it would be nice to understand some of that so I'm not bored during family get togethers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    i only speak english fluently but i'd love to learn portuguese since thats my heritage and also icelandic. i just think it's a lovely language and i have a few bands i listen to from iceland and the lyrics are just beautiful.

5. PokeMaster1

PokeMaster1 Dragon Tamer

PokéPoints:
    ₽141.3
    I know english derp. Learned some spanish but was bored with it for a while. I have a girlfriend who's a filipina so i might be learning philippine language somehow.

I would like to learn Pokémon! XD

6. Tomatketchup

Tomatketchup Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    You like The Sugarcubes / Björk? :)

7. Crashbird

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Although my first three languages were latvian, russian and german, the only one i use best is english x'D I'm a disgrace to my country, haha.
    Thanks to latvian and russian knowledge i can understand/ read some polish and lithuanian, too. And dutch due to german.
    Once i get to my next school, i'll be taking japanese and spanish for several years, then moving on to more other languages. Perhaps perfecting dutch, given that parents are considering moving to Holland at some point.

Russian is an awesome language to know, since there is nothing you can't find in russian/ via russians :'D
    Like, seriously, they have EVERYTHING.

8. Ashe

Ashe Silly

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.3
    I only know english xD I took 3 years of spanish but it was in high school (terrible teachers) so I don't really remember any of it except the basics. I've always wanted to learn japanese or dutch though.

9. Scrafty1

Scrafty1 Hex Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I know English and some French. I want to learn more French and I want to learn Japanese as well.

10. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I only know English as well. In Canada (or at least my province) we take mandatory French classes from about 5th to 9th grade, but I retained none of it..and I'm not too bothered by that. I suppose some day it would be cool to learn Russian because I think it's an interesting place I would some time like to visit, but I'm not really in too much of a hurry. I'm pretty much fine with just knowing English. It bothers some people when it's said but I honestly consider English to be the master language since its recognized as the international language of trade and commerce as well as the international language of science these days. It's arguably more important to know English than any other language. Because of that I don't have a great drive to go learn others, and I'm also not someone who cares about a lot of world travel, but I may some day.

11. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I know English a tiny amount of Japanese, I'm still learning!

12. icelovebunnies9

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I speak English, Tagalog (not very fluent, but can understand it), and Spanish from school. I really want to learn Japanese, that way I can understand what everyone in an anime is saying without having to look at subtitles. xD But it looks fun to learn Japanese. ^^

13. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    I speak:

English (My name is WavePearl)-native tongue
    Spanish (Me llamo WavePearl)-have studied enough to hold a decent conversation and translate, but I still need a dictionary to find words I don't know. If I'm having a conversation in it, I will ask the other person to speak at a reasonable pace so I can understand them
    a little Japanese (Watashi wa WavePearl desu)-Just some words and phrases gleaned from anime, but probably enough to survive if I were dropped on the streets of Tokyo

I would like to learn:

Italian (Il mio nome è WavePearl)-As the universal language of music, it sounds very beautiful, especially when sung. (I would also be able to understand Italian dubs of anime!)

14. Slugkid

Slugkid Slacker Extraordinaire

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Well, Spanish is my native language but I'm about as good in English.
    I know a little bit of portuguese because of school, but I don't like it much.
    I'd like to learn italian, maybe french after italian, then Latin or Japanese, then the one I didn't study from those two.

I also know how to write in Futhark runic language (Picked it up from The Hobbit, the book.) but haven't done it in a while so I'm not sure if I still can do it properly.

15. Toxic

Toxic Idk I'm bored

Lugia Egg
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽176.8
    I only speak English. I am not interested in learning a new language as I'd wish to only know one and not confuse myself with multiple languages.

16. Slugkid

Slugkid Slacker Extraordinaire

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    That is a fine decision, but if you don't do it for fear of being confused then you shouldn't really worry. English is rather unique, and not many languages are like it too much. There's no chance you could mix up English with another language, especially with it being your only language.
    And I must say learning a language is lots of fun. You also get to learn a lot about the people that speak it natively and their countries. I personally enjoy knowing english just for the sake of knowing, and not only because of how useful it is. Even if everyone in the world just started speaking english, I think I'd still want to learn other languages.

17. Degnne

Degnne PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I only speak English fluently, but I do know some Spanish, Japanese, Welsh and a tiny bit of Arabic.

18. Snivinerior

Snivinerior Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.1
    I only know English and my local language: Filipino (Tagalog)

19. Pixel2

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I know only English, but want to learn Japanese.

20. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I know English and very few Spanish. I want to learn more Spanish and Japanese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.