1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What Nintendo Could Of Done To Make Generation 6 Better

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Toxic, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Toxic

Toxic Idk I'm bored

Lugia Egg
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽176.8
    While Generation 6 was a pretty great generation, I felt like Gen 6 was missing a lot of things and needed to work out some things. Most of these minor issues include: Wonder Trade, Post Game, Legendaries.

1. Wonder Trading in Generation 6 was quite awful. Now, most people wouldn't complain about getting a Shiny Pokémon from Wonder Trade, but most of them weren't legit. Power Saving has pretty much taken over the Pokémon community and everyone is using it. Nintendo should of added in some feature to keep the hacked Pokémon out of Wonder Trade. I'm not complaining about hackers they can hack all they want, but sending hacked Pokémon to someone who wants to play legitimately isn't cool. (This is probably a stupid opinion, but I've asked friends what they did when they got a Shiny Pokémon from Wonder Trade and they said they just traded it away because it was hacked.)

2. The Post Game seemed a bit short. I know in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire you were able to catch tons of legendary Pokémon in the sky, but X/Y was different. X/Y had this Looker story thing. It seemed long, but in all reality it was just tedious and it wasn't very rewarding. The only legendary Pokémon after obtaining Xerneas or Yveltal was Zygarde, Mewtwo, and the three legendary birds.

3. Legendary Pokémon were short. In Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, there were 11 Legendary Pokémon total. In Black and White there was 10. Nintendo only put in 3 new legendary Pokémon in X/Y(This doesn't include the 3 that they ended up adding later in the game via Mystery Gift. Which wasn't even that fun of an event though. Would of been cool if they brought back the events from Gen 3 and Gen 4. Those events were fun.) Not sure if this had something to do with the amount of time they had to make the game or if they were just wanting to go back to basics like in R/B/Y, but it just seemed sorta odd. I hope it's a little different in Generation 7, but I don't know it doesn't seem that promising yet.

What do you think Nintendo could of done to make Gen 6 better? Discuss!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    Really agree with you on the post game part. They definitely should have added a story for Zygarde. Zygarde feels as if it was just placed in the game last minute. For ORAS, they should have brought the Battle Frontier back instead of using the Battle Maison again. The Delta Episode was interesting but it was way too short.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I agree with you- Generation 6 was overall pretty good, but there were some things in it that I really wish they did better. A lot of new aspects to the games were amazing, such as the new Pokémon, Mega Evolutions, new battle mechanics, the graphics, the music, etc. But, for me, the bad things outweigh the good, sadly.

1. Amount of Pokémon. This is a very minor complaint, but I do wish we got more completely new Pokémon in Generation 6. I'm definitely not complaining about the ones we got, because they're fantastic- I would have just liked more variety. The reason this is so low on my list is because we did get a bunch of Mega Evolutions, which are pretty sweet.

2. Story focus. This includes both main-game and post-game. Generation 6 had some very interesting story elements, but some of them were executed pretty badly. The whole plot of X and Y was kind of a mess- it was a great idea overall, but the pacing was incredibly off, and it just left a feeling of disappointment after the story peaked. The Legendaries are mentioned a couple times, but their backstory is only hinted at, and their powers are never fully explained. After the story's climax came to a close, I really was left with a lingering feeling of "...now what?" The post-Champion scene was a nice touch, and it was nice that it actually gives you a ceremony for saving the entire damn world, but AZ's sidestory wasn't mentioned enough in the game for it to leave a lasting impact. If I accidentally skipped over the couple brief scenes he was in, I would have missed the point of the ending entirely.

Thankfully, the Delta Episode fixed some of the mysteries behind Mega Evolution, but it still holds a lot of unexplained mysteries. The lack of post-game also worries me, since X and Y had basically nothing. Again, the Delta Episode was a saving grace, but it seemed a bit rushed compared to the rest of the story in ORAS. I think more focus on Team Flare and Zygarde in X and Y would have made an interesting post-game story, and a more in-depth Delta Episode would have been amazing.

3. The Region. This is more about X and Y rather than ORAS, since we've seen Hoenn before. While the actual graphics of the region are great, Kalos itself isn't that interesting. With very straight-forward routes and not that many hidden secrets, I felt that it was one of the more boring regions we've had, despite the updated graphics. Some of the towns and caves had interesting themes, but everything was essentially handed to you, there was very little exploring necessary. It would have been great if there were more wide-open routes that you had to explore in order to navigate properly to the right places. Overall, after I got over the "wow these graphics are great" stage, I was rather disappointed in Kalos. If they added more twists and turns and multiple endings to caves/routes and hidden areas, I would feel more of an urge to explore the region.

4. Characters. Again, this is more about X and Y than ORAS, since most of the characters in ORAS were characters we've seen before, and most of them were characterized nicely. I do like the concept of most (if not all) of the characters in X and Y, and they had a lot of potential, but the story just left them... flat. Your rivals don't do too much, and your actual rival (Serena/Calem) is rather bland and not that interesting overall. Lysandre is a very interesting villain, but he isn't in the actual story enough to make too much of an impact. AZ is another interesting character that unfortunately wasn't in the story enough. (...and then there's Diantha.)

That seems to be a recurring theme in XY- interesting character themes, not enough characterization. Sycamore is one of the more interesting characters in the game, and he doesn't even have that big of a role in the story besides giving you your second starter. I do wish that XY focused a bit more in the characters, because they had so much potential that it was very disappointing in the end.

5. Multiplayer. Overall, the multiplayer functions are fantastic, but Wonder Trading is kind of broken at the moment. There are so many hacked Pokémon floating around on Wonder Trade, and although I know the whole point of Wonder Trading is the random chance of getting basically anything, but I wish there were different guidelines. For instance, you could have several options to choose when Wonder Trading- you can choose to get a Pokémon around the same level as yours, a Pokémon with a similar BST to yours, etc. It could even out Wonder Trade a bit, and while it wouldn't fix all of its problems, it could help streamline it a bit so it's less of a nuisance.

Those are just a couple issues that they could have fixed about the games, but overall, they're not bad. Most of the issues with X and Y were fixed with ORAS, and I had hoped that a possible third game/sequel could have saved X and Y, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I just hope Nintendo and GameFreak fix some of the more major issues in the future.

Apawn likes this.
  4. Northwind's Call

PokéPoints:
    ₽91.5
    the problem is that the game and its coding literally can't do this. there's no way the coding can differentiate between a normal Pokémon and a Pokémon that's been pkhexed/powersaved into the game (unless it's a hydreigon that was born as a hydreigon from an egg or something blatantly bad with the hacking) and frankly the game doesn't want to have to check all these things every time a person puts up a Pokémon on wonder trade.

it's the same deal with the competitive circuit and VGC, which has seen a lot of hatred over the past few years from a handful of sources (*cough Verlisify cough*) for doing essentially nothing to stop players from playing with hacked Pokémon-- but what are you going to do? a handful of them can be caught through gameplay-- shiny Groudons and Kyogres have been caught at regional events, not by the hack check but by real players-- but even as it is right now the hack check used at regionals is out of whack. Several players using Telepathy Dialga, a legal Japanese event, got killed by the hack check even when their Japanese friends had videos of themselves soft-resetting for said Dialgas. Literally all we can do as players is look at it and see if there's something wrong, because the way that the game is coded it can't tell for itself.

there's my two cents on that topic anyways

my postgame was vgc and my legendary Pokémon were probably genned and passed to me by my friends so i'm fine with them i guess XD

Apawn likes this.
  5. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Yah @[member="Northwind's Call"] The VGC really needs some recall with how they work in terms of Hack Checks (I'm pro for the Only Pokémon Under Your OT, but anyways..)

For me it be More New Pokémon and Clothing Customization in ORAS would Improve 6th Gen (The Gen otherwise was fine IMO)

6. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Now playing through Y again I see a lot of issues.
    1. It is boring, the game itself is tedious. Tasks and weirdnes
    2. The characters show up to move the plot or to battle a bunch. I get it is fun to battle but having to battle Calem over and over lost its impact. Also making Calem carry a Meowstic that made his first turn in the Flare double battles pointless. It was slow and wasn't menacing and died before it could make a move. Your other rivals are pointless, Shana pops in and out of the game to move dialog, what bugs me the most with her is she kept showing up to talk about being friends and then she disappears. We should have been able to call her or other rivals or literally anything. I keep forgetting about Tierno and Trevor, they serve no purpose but to put more dialog in. Each rival was to be a way to play the game but then there was Tierno, just dancing, I dont understand why he was there at all.
    3. The blackout in Lumious was a pain for getting clothes or to explore more parts of the city, you know, the fun stuff. They did this in D/P/P but we couldn't get to the town in that game but in this we get to tour half the town, it was a waste of time.
    4. Also Sycamore wasn't even there to give us the Pokémon, it seemed like he didn't even care, he just tried to recover by giving you a second starter and hanging with Lysander. In the anime I learned to like him, in the game I forgot he existed pretty much.
    5. ORAS had nothing to do after the game ended, no post story, nothing fun or exciting, I got bored very quickly.
    6. ORAS contests were simplified and boring, to easy, no challenge, and Kalos randomly got rid of them for the weird PR videos.

I can think of more but they are pretty covered above, I hope this is a contributing.

7. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    All I wanted were more new Pokémon to be honest. The Kalos region didn't seem too big when it came to new Pokémon in general if you asked me.

8. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I just wanted good character development. 5th generation did so well bringing together an excellent cast of characters and an interesting plot. 6th gen absolutely paled in comparison to the monster 5th gen was at telling a story.

9. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    Team Flare's story could've been a lot better imo. There are a lot of people who'd disagree with me but I think the story was lackluster. Honestly that is my only issue with X and Y.

10. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    This is by far my biggest gripe with gen 6. All other things aside, WHERE WERE ALL THE COOL NEW Pokémon? This deal of mega evolutions was neat, but I think it was used as a way of not introducing new evolutions for Pokémon that we really wanted (i.e. Dunsparce). Mega evolutions simply didn't do it for me, barring Mawile and Sableye, as that was my cup of tea for sure.

11. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    I agree with this as well and I am punching myself for not bringing this up in my previous post... Yeah there was only a few Pokémon in X and Y but the reason I don't see this as bad, is because a lot of them changed the metagame, Goodra, Greninja, Aegislash, Talonflame, Chesnaught, Hawlucha, hell even Zygarde changed it. As a competitive battler, I see this as a very minor change. This still doesn't excuse the fact that there were so little options in X and Y that they threw in a Torchic event and a second set of starters to make it up. That is inexcusable. You literally get your Fire/Water/Grass core at the beginning at the game. Or in my case, Froakie/Torchic/Bulbasaur.

12. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I didn't even think about Pokémon count, yeah that is a huge downside, though we got great Pokémon there could have been more, a lot of it was mega evolutions, and they weren't even the new Pokémon, it just didn't feel right to have so few new Pokémon. I hope they do create more for new generations since it is a new region, you would think there would be more unique Pokémon.

13. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Now I have replayed X several times, I have to say I dislike most of the so-called "rival" characters. I am very big on character development and X just didn't give that with its lackluster story, bad characters (dorito man), and Team Flare was a big joke, to be honest. They had potential, but nothing was properly explained, no real motives, no real threat until the end. Yes. they did come close to destroying the world, but remember you had the time to walk down a set of stairs, battle several grunts and admins, and hand Lysander his ass before the weapon went off.

I do like several scenes from the game, but I can count them on one hand.

14. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,913.7
    I second the lack of character development and lackluster pacing--while Callum/Serena and Shauna got some development, I wanted to know more about Trevor and Tierno--what were their backstories? How did they get to be who they are?

Story was rather interesting, but poorly paced--Team Flare doesn't seem much of a threat until Lysandre reveals his true colors to you towards the end--there should've been more urgency, and more subtle clues as to what their plot really was before that point.