1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What phrase do you dislike?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Getus, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Are there any phrases out there you find yourself sick of hearing and why? One for me is

"The strong survive and the weak do not", personally I kinda agree with this but I hate how it's used. I believe those who are strong, not in a physical sense, but more in will and other qualities are those who will survive and prosper, but they must also help those who are "weak" survive by supporting them and helping them become strong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    The phrase 'it's a life and a half if you don't weaken' is an annoying phrase that I hear in my home village quite a lot. It was always from the nosy, aggressive older folks too who would impose their opinions on everything and everything... Honestly it just sounds like an excuse to me, like they were trying to justify their bad habits. :/

'I'm not being X, but...' is a phrase I hate too, with 'X' representing a range of words (rude, racist, nosy etc). If you have to make a point that what you're going to say could be interpreted as something, it probably IS that something. Commit to the attitude you're taking or rethink what you're going to say. :thumbsdown:

3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Oh, sure, I have a ton of phrases that annoy me. It might be harder to find one that doesn't.

• "That's so true"
    • "X is pure/a cinnamon roll"
    • "Memes" (there are thousands of derivatives to this one)
    • "Don't hate the player; hate the game"
    • "S/he's just a child"
    • There's probably about three more; I just don't remember them right now

There are also a lot of things said I dislike that aren't phrases, but that will be a discussion for another time.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  4. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Oh, here we go. A few choice ones from me include...

- "Life is what you make it." - This is one of the most insensitive things you can say to someone.
    - Any sentences that use the word "sick" to describe something in a positive fashion. I HATE this. It's stupid. Being sick is NOT a good thing! Stop it!
    - "Git gud" - Sure, as soon as you learn to spell.
    - "No offense" - No, I WILL take offense if you're going to be offensive. This is almost always preceeding something that would be deemed offensive in any other circumstance, and I don't see why saying this excuses rude behaviour.
    - "I could care less" - This one just irks me for how painfully incorrect it is. If you could care less, that means you care. What you're trying to say is that you couldn't care less.
    - "Its where you left it" - Thanks for that. Doesn't help me find it, does it?
    - "Can I ask you something?" - Didn't give me much choice there, did you?
    - "At the end of the day..." ...you're another day old, and that's all you can say for the life of the poor. It's a struggle, it's a war, and there's nothing that anyone's giving. One more day standing about, what is it for? One day less to be living. (I hate how I always complete this phrase with that in my head, every single time. Just typing this put that in my head!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I can't believe I forgot this one.
    I forgot I don't even have words to describe my disgust for this phrase.

6. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    When people say "put meat on your bones" as a phrase for gaining weight... ugh it just sounds disgusting.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  7. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I agree with Zeria and Eclipse, this one is just the worst.

My personal pet peeve when it comes to these things is when people say, "Wanna come with?" I'm just always waiting for that last word, it's so painful to listen to.

8. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Where to start? Actually, a good place to start would be showing which prior posts I agree with:
    Alright, there we go! Also, here are a few more:

1. "You have a four page essay due next week." (Okay, admittedly this is obviously not what you meant, and college students have it worse, but still annoying regardless!)
    2. "Break a leg!" (I don't understand why this is theatrese for 'good luck'.)
    3. "______ is for kids./You are too old for _____." (As long as my attitude isn't childish, you shouldn't care about my hobbies and interests! YOU CAN'T TAKE HALLOWEEN AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!)
    4. Anything said by the following groups:
    • Cringey tweens on Youtube/Fanfiction (sidenote: There are indeed some that are perfectly fine. Only cringey ones count.)
    • The staff of the Emoji movie
    • Teachers who are dumber than over 15% of the students they teach (surprisingly common)
    • Anyone who can quote more than the first minute of the Bee Movie and is proud of it

9. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    The phrases I hate the most are usually:
    • no offense but/noah fence (this one can be funny but usually its not)
    • um excuse me but
    • basically anything passive aggressive
    • obsessive use of slang to the point your entire message is slang
    Usually all of this is made worse with excessive "lapslock" abuse. (lapslock is when you dont use capitalization at all. its like capslock but not.) granted I tend to speak in lapslock 99% of the time but at least I dont say annoying stuff.