1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What pokemon you never thought much of, but ended up having a special bond with?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Pyrophobic Quilava, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    I have some in each game I try to vary, but I think my most special one is probably Breloom.

Hoenn has this thing where it makes me want to chose another Pokémon besides my favorite because they are all cool (save for Mega Swampert, I mean wtf...).

So this forces me to choose Pokémon on my list of "It seems decent, but I already have my starter", everyone has this list.

I was really unsure of what to use because I got bored of trying to make Tropius strong on other gameplays, and then I decided to give it a shot to the little angry mushroom twat that evolves to a cute dinosaur because of its amazing passive.

Aaaand yeah, it was fun, and I had several game changing moments with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I honestly didn't think much of Azumarill at first. But then when I caught a Marill during a Nuzlocke run in Platinum, it had the ability Huge Power, which basically destroyed almost everything in its path. Its Fairy typing in X & Y definitely made it better. Now I like the blue bubble bunny. :thumbsup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  3. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    I haven't played fairy azumarill yet but in DPP he is really tough! My girl there would share a spotlight with a gyarados and never be behind.

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Breloom was sort of the same way for me. The first time I played Emerald, I chose Treecko as my starter, but I also had a Shroomish on my team. After my Shroomish evolved, I actually took a liking to Breloom and started using it over my starter. I especially liked its effect spore ability and loved the Sky Uppercut animation. It ended up being my favorite Pokémon on my team. My full team was Breloom, Azumarill, Walrein, Gardevoir, Swellow, and Rayquaza. Yeah, kind of a weird team.

Another one was Wingull, which I caught during a Nuzlocke once. I named it "Piyo" because I thought that's what its cry sounded like. It ended up dying and later on I came across this house that, for no apparent reason, was filled with Wingull. The Wingulls' cries were spelled out as "piyoh" or something similar to the name I had given to my Wingull. A person was creepily standing in the corner of the room and when I talked to her she said something about there being a place where the spirits of dead Pokémon were said to appear. It freaked me out and I stopped playing, but I've loved Wingull since that playthrough.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    The Sandile line, but Krookodile in particular was like this for me.
    I never really thought of them much. I mean I didn't dislike the line or anything, but I just wasn't interested in training them.
    Well anyway, in White version I had just made it to the Electric-type gym and my team was pretty weak to the type at the time, so I decided to go and find a Pokémon to fix that.
    Encountered a Sandile, and thought "eh, why not?" And caught her. I was only planning on using her to defeat Elesa. After that I'd box it.
    Well, that didn't end up happening. Soon enough I fell in love with the little croc so I kept her, and she became my most powerful and used Pokémon. Totally ditched my Serperior for her (and a few other stronger mons) later on in the game. But throughout the whole game, my trusty Krookodile remained at the front of my party, and my most used Pokémon.
    Ever since then Krookodile has been one of my favourite Pokémon, and it most likely always will be due to that experience with it.

6. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Swellow has a special place in my heart now after it has proven to be an MVP on multiple occasions in my Hoenn runs/lockes. It's wicked fast and has enough power to keep up even in the later game. :3

In my first Sun playthough I didn't use Wimpod. In my Ultra Sun and Sun Locke I decided I would, and Golisopod proved to be one of my staples on both teams. It's just so darn powerful. First Impression is awesome.

7. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    I remembered once I played a gen3 based game that was mostly a copy of Crystal on rpg maker, but had way more stuff later.

I caught caterpie on the beginning just to stun some Pokémon and it turned to be one of my mvp supports through the whole run, protecting status, confusing, poisoning, sleeping.

Whenever I had my "<oh shit>" moments when the water evaporator Quil-kun or fearless Vapo-chan were damned, my butterfree would aid the team from the damn legendaries used through the games plot twists with OP monsters 15 levels above what they should usually be.

8. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    my shinx in platinum
    caught it right after sandgem town..never liked it that much at start but by psyduck I say-it really did grow on me as I kept training and luxray still remains my favourite electric Pokémon

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Tsareena rapidly took a place in my heart while playing Ultra Sun. I started with Rowlet, so I didn't need an additional grass-type necessarily, but with assets like Trop Kick and being able to laugh at my foe every time Queenly Majesty activates, I learned to love her very quickly.

Aside from that, Avalugg became one of my surprise favorites when I used to Showdown a long time ago. I've never trained one in-game, but one day I filled Avalugg into a space on my team on a whim, and he absolutely swept like 4/6 of my opponent's team single-handed. I was super impressed with his performance, and I still want to use him on my next Showdown team.

10. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I didn't think much of Tsarevna until I used it in my first Sun playthrough, and geez, it got just as much use as my starter. It was bulky, had great attack, decent speed, and amazing moves in terms of coverage. MVP of the playthrough.

Also did this with Blissey, Malamar, and a couple others.

11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I was young. I used my starter in white to steamroll everyone and made a slapped together team for the elite four. Several weeks later, I wanted to rematch the elite four. I grabbed the six highest level Pokémon in my PC to do battle. I ended up falling in love with four of them and they became the Pokémon I considered my permanent team. They were, Metagross, Serperior, Volcarona, and Hydragon. Ever since I chose them, they have been the highest leveled Pokémon team in any game and my first to level 100. At first, they were a means to an end, but now I absolutely adore each one.

12. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Dustox. I was playing Alpha Sapphire and I desperately wanted a Beautifly, so I decided to try my luck and catch a Wurmple. I was excited when she finally evolved, thoroughly disappointed when she became a Cascoon. But I couldn't afford to abandon any mons at the time, so I just decided to keep her. When she evolved into Dustox, I was amazed at how bulky she was, and she learned some pretty wicked moves and was a good alternative for some of my other mons. She came in clutch more times than I can count, and now that's why I have a newfound appreciation for Dustox.

Another one is Furfrou. I never really liked Pokémon that didn't evolve because I always thought the idea of them not really getting 'stronger' or changing boring, but in my X nuzlocke a Furfrou, which I named Space Dandy, was my encounter. Immediately she started steamrolling her way through everything and barely taking a scratch in the process. Bite and Headbutt are deadly. So now, Furfrou is one of my favorite normal types, and perhaps my favorite non-evolving Pokémon.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    This is a relatively new addition to my list of favorites, but I recently have begun storyboarding for one of my Pokémon Characters who's main partner early is an Aron. The little metal turtle has begun to grow on me quite a bit. XD

Aron Nom.jpg

14. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    Greninja. I can’t recall how it happened, but it stopped being "meh" for me to become one of my top favorites.
    Slugma. I didn’t think much of it before getting a shiny one as my first full odds and first at all shiny. Now it has a little special place in my heart.
    Also Goomy; after using it as a "representation" of me here, I began to like it more.

15. BluetailsTheBuizel

Legendary Egg
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽161.3
    Oran Berry ★★
    I caught a Chinchou In Gold version and wondered if I would let it evolve into a Lanturn since Chinchou eyes are special. But I let it evolve anyway and it really has a high HP. Now he/she is my new water buddy ;)

16. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    Chinchous are so cute, so are Lanturns X)

Dustox always felt a bit without purpose since it never got too much love, contrary to beautifly, it warmed my heart when I managed to make a grass deck where the main focus was to summon one of my two dustox, and beautifly was basically just a very nice support.

BluetailsTheBuizel likes this.