1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What program do you use?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Wabi Sabi, May 18, 2019.

1. Wabi Sabi

Ralts
    (Ralts)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽130.0
    ... For writing or art?

Writing, I use google docs. I don't really like Word for some reason, so google docs is a great alternative, considering its auto save feature, sleek design, and overall reliability as a program.

As for art, I use Clip Studio Paint. I used to use Sai, mostly because it was free the crack version at least, and it's what every artist used. I eventually decided to invest in CSP and ever since then my art has made leaps and bounds. It's super reliable, easy to use, and excellent for line art. I would recommend investing in it when it's on sale- usually they have 50% off sales so it's available for $25 during those times. Great price for an equally great product, imo.

That aside, tell me what you use.

2. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I use word and notepad for writing mostly, though sometimes I use google docs normally this is so my friend can edit my stuff and I can watch as well as add my own ideas and fix things that I think aren't right and for art...
    Photoshop all the way. It's the only real...art program I have but it helps me out.
    Most of the stuff I actually use on my computer came with it (school computer what you get is what you get)

But I get a new computer at the end of the year as a graduation present so Imma need to get an art program since I'm pretty sure Photoshop does not come with your computer, I might consider CSP since it sounds like a good program.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I write with latex. I mostly use word for my writing because its what I've been taught how to use for a long time and it has many features that I don't use. Also, my school pays for us to have word so I don't need to pay for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,138.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    For writing, I generally use Word because I’ve always been using Word since before middle school. I pretty much only use google docs for the “invite other users” option, which is good for group work. However, if it’s writing that’s unrelated to school, I go on Wattpad. (Granted I don’t write actual stories often, but it’s still writing.) As for art, my brother introduced me to Autodesk Sketchbook years ago and I have been using it ever since. It also got an update on my ipad that unlocked all the premium tools, so that’s a bonus.

5. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    When sometimes I write stuff, I use Pages. It's already on my computer & phone and I like it.

For art, right now I use Medibang. I can use it on iPad & computer so it's easier.

6. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    For writing I use Word. Because its a good program that I know how to use well and I got it for free from my dad. If I need to do a group project or something then I'll use Google Drive, but that's fairly rare for me.

For art it varies. When it comes to sprite work I use Microsoft Paint (specifically the version from Windows XP, which I've copied over onto a newer computer but it still works) because its the art program that I have the most familiarity with, I know plenty of tips and tricks to use with it and the program overall feels like basically the best thing to use with pixel art. For more advanced stuff I mostly use GIMP because its free and can do a lot of stuff that Paint can't (like transparencies). I also just got another new free art program called Krita which I haven't had much of a chance to use yet but so far looks pretty good. Might be a bit too advanced for me at the moment, though.

7. Tolerance

Tolerance Swimmer

Pumpkin
    (Fennekin)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽240.0
    I use Scrivener for writing.

For art I use a combination of Krita, Blender, and Inkscape on my PC, though I have fiddled with an app named ArtFlow on my phone while I'm AFK.

8. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Cool thread!

For writing, I've stopped using Word, though I do my final formatting and editing in there. I start off with notepad and then take it to google docs. Notepad is always where I go to when I have half ideas. I spend maybe 10 minutes here and if the idea is worth it, it goes to gdocs. Love Google Docs. Brilliancy. I write in there and then take it to Word, especially if I need to export as a PDF or save the Document.

For art, for general art work I'll do photo editing in Photoshop since it's so powerful. I'm definitely comfortable with it but I don't draw in it. I do my drawings in Adobe Illustrator since it's a vector program and I can do a lot of flat art using simple shapes and opacity layers.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I mostly use Sai for art, but also use something called Paint.NET for some sort of last minute editing once I'm finished. It's also a good program to use for spriting since it has a grid for the transparent background.

For writing I've been using google docs since Microsoft randomly decided I don't own word anymore. I also use a program called yWriter to keep track of character details and things when writing. Ideally I'd just use yWriter since google docs lags so much, but I haven't fully figured it out yet.

10. Minty Electric

SS Egg 1
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.0
    For writing, I straight-up rely on Google Docs. I'm a filthy Mac user, which means there's no real decent native word processor that behaves well on my computer, and I've literally tried all the ones I could get my hands on. OpenOffice? Instacrash. LibreOffice? Works, but it lags like hell when opening, so I only use it for beta clients who send me ODTs. Sometimes, I use Focus Writer if it's a NaNo month and I'm hella behind, but that's really the extent of what behaves on this comp. Well, that and TextMate, but that's supposed to be more for coding.

So, uh, yeah. Google Docs.

For art, I use GIMP. If I want to slap text onto my graphics or cobble together book covers, InDesign as well. It's just that InDesign does a lot more with text than GIMP can handle, plus it's hooked into my Typekit library, which means more shiny fonts.

11. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    So TypeKit is a blessing (I finally got it working on my Mac and I love it). Before that on my Windows laptop, it would always log me out of Creative Cloud for no reason so using TypeKit (basically having to relog into Creative Cloud every time I booted my laptop) was such a hassle for TypeKit. I'm liking it a lot now as well.

Also, how hard is it to pickup InDesign? It's one of the Adobe softwares I do not know currently but aim to learn.

12. Minty Electric

SS Egg 1
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.0
    Thaaaaat sounds about right for Creative Cloud, tbqh. :') It's got such excellent (...and expensive) tools in it, but it does not like playing with others. By which I mean computers in general.

Meantimes, heck yes to Typekit. 8) It's so much easier than what had been my old method, which was to hunt down fonts on dafont and/or pirate the crap out of the proprietary stuff, haha.

It's actually pretty easy! A lot of it is that InDesign is supposed to be used for typesetting/general design and that's about it, so it doesn't really need the powerful, complex tools that Photoshop, Illustrator, and so on use. (Hence why it's a lot easier for me to put text on things using ID than GIMP: because putting text on things is kinda its whole shebang, haha.) In other words, if you can make boxes and if you have the patience to look at a handful of tutorials now and then, you can totally teach yourself how to use InDesign.

It's also strangely better than a lot of its competitors/open-sourced counterparts, like Quark or Scribus. Idk, neither of them have quite as many basic tools, so in a lot of ways, they make designing whatever you'd like a lot harder (like ... picking colors, for example, which is made super easy thanks to swatches in ID).

Tl;dr, even though ID is not free, I'd still recommend it. It deeeeefinitely makes life easier. :')

Vigilance likes this.
  13. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Gotcha gotcha yeah I definitely need to check it out. I have the Adobe subscription through my college and it's pretty useful. Do you have any beginner tutorials you would recommend?

14. Minty Electric

SS Egg 1
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.0
    I do indeed! 8) There's a set of them on InDesign Skills which are basically structured like an online course, so it's pretty organized and easy to follow. Alternatively, if you'd prefer video tutorials, Adobe's is actually not half bad.

Also, not exactly a set of beginner tutorials, but I'd still recommend keeping InDesignSecrets handy when you start designing. IDSecrets hosts a lot of pretty straightforward tutorials on common tricks, like adding textures and manipulating filters.

Good luck! :D If you have any questions about ID, hmu~

15. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I use Krita for most of my art. Learning to use it was a little difficult at first, but I managed. It's also free, which is a huge plus.

Geroniny likes this.
  16. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    A Fellow Krita User Appear!
    Yep, I Use Krita For My Drawing Too. And On The Third Version Onwards, They Include Animation Feature Which Is Additional Plus! I Learnt To Use The Basic On A Tutorial By Tyson (A.K.A Who Created The Mascot Of The Software.).

As Of Writing, Sta.sh, Wordpad And Word( Both Online And Subscribed, Cause The Subscribed Is Throught Office 365 Student Plan.)

Riddles likes this.
  17. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    i use medibang (specifically the mobile/app version), its free and has lots of really good tools and options that i'd be willing to pay for if medibang wasn't free and i can work anywhere i want because it's on my phone!! i rarely use clip studio to do some last minute editing with my art if i need it

18. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I only write as I don't know how to draw. As for the program I use for writing: Grammarly.
    Grammarly is an add-on for google which automatically searches for any grammatical mistakes/spelling mistakes you made when writing in Google. This allows me to make near perfect writing on Google.

19. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Art: Medibang on my iPad. It’s a great drawing program and it’s free too. For animation(in which I rarely do), I use Adobe Animate, which costs money, but is definitely one of the best animation programs out there.

Writing: Google Docs. My school uses it, so I’m quite used to it.

20. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,343.1
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    For writing I use google docs and if its something extensive like DnD notes and campaign things I will move it over to OneNote (Handy dandy online version)

For art I have always been a photoshop person, I learned there in class and have trouble adapting to anything else.