1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What should I draw for speed paint videos?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Wolf Expert, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Which set of sprites should I base my drawings on?

1. Green version

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Red/Blue version

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. A mix of both (please reply with specifics)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I've been wanting to get back into doing something like this recently, but I've had trouble deciding what exactly I should do. Currently the idea I have is to draw Pokémon based on the sprites from the original first gen games in a more updated/realistic way. Originally I was going to do it with green version sprites because I had heard that the designs were changed in red/blue before being released worldwide because the Japanese developers didn't think the designs in green would be popular outside of Japan. I assumed for that reason that the green version sprites would look vastly different from the current canon designs for the Pokémon. When looking over the sprites though, I realized that quite a few of them actually look closer to the modern designs than the "updated" ones in red/blue, although the red/blue sprites do have a more polished look to them.

The idea is to use the sprites that look the least like the current canon designs. For that reason, I'm not even considering yellow version. So which should I use? Here are the images I've found for each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As an example of what I mean, the Eeveelutions look a lot closer to their modern designs in red/blue, but the green Eevee looks closer to the modern design than the red/blue Eevee. If I were to draw each of the original 151, should I do one or the other or a mix of the two? If a mix of the two, I would appreciate hearing some specific suggestions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Danni

Danni PRAISE THE SUN

SS EGG #6
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    I'd love to see your renditions of the eeveelutions!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Doesn't really answer the question.

But yeah I like Vaporeon's frills and Jolteon's ears in the green version sprite set.

4. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I would take in a mix of the two, for example, the Green Charmander-line, Zubat-line, but the Red/blue Paras-line, koffing-line. As far as I can see it is pretty even, but there are just the subtle differences that make it hard to pick just the one set over the other.

5. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    That's true. There are a surprising number of votes just for green though so I'm still kind of conflicted. I might just end up looking over them again and picking out ones that I like.

6. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Sun and Moon dancing an Alolan tango??

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see it was a poll, my recomandation still stands, but I’ve since gone and voted. Maybe you could make the sprites dance tango??

7. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    I'll keep that in mind if I ever need more ideas in the future. :D

8. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I voted for 'Red and Blue' just because I always liked the old sprites and they seem very edgy. Good luck in your drawings.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Well the votes are now 50/50 for red/blue and green, so I think I probably will just do a mix of the two.