1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What Turns You Off in a Game?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by WavePearl, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Seprix

Seprix Patron Sint

PokéPoints:
    ₽115.8
    Pay to Win.
    Bad water/camera controls.
    Ugly interface.
    Boring Tutorial.
    No immediate clear directive.
    Water levels.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    For me, a number of (or combination of) things may turn me away from picking up a game ever again:
    -A story that trips over itself with too many plot holes.
    -Lack of clarity towards certain quests.
    -Loooooooooooong loading times.
    -Constantly lagging frame rate.
    -Sudden difficulty spikes.
    -Glitches that make certain segments unplayable.
    -Fighting the same exact boss more than twice (Okami is an exception).
    -Fighting with the controls.
    -Fighting with the camera.
    -Areas that place restrictions on the player (Unless they're optional).
    -Unblock-able instant death attacks.
    -Fighting a boss that is too hard for all the reasons stated above.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    • Badly written characters
    • Lots of fetching quests along the lines of:
    PersonA: "Go get this from PersonB and I'll give you this"
    PersonB: "Oh, if you get me this from PersonC I'll give you this for PersonB"
    PersonC: "I need this thing from PersonD"
    Etc, etc.
    • Fanservice for fanservice sake.
    • Really annoying repetitive music that cant be turned off.
    • Timed fights. Timed things in general. I'm just really bad at them.

4. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    It could really be a multitude of things. Usually, if the characters are just unlikable or boring I just can't get behind it. Sometimes games are just way toooooo sloooowwww for me, which isn't great since some games take a while to progress and I just can't get behind it.

5. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    Knuckles not being able to jump as high as Sonic can in sonic 3 and knuckles. also annoying rivals (cough cough Hau cough cough)

6. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    • Confusing gameplay/mechanics/puzzles
    • The game is either too easy, or too difficult
    • If the game is challenging, it's for all the wrong reasons (Bad level design, game-breaking glitches, etc.)
    • Flat or unlikable characters
    • Bad or forgettable OST
    • The game has no replay value
    • Uncomfortable or backwards controls, like using B to jump and A to attack
    The list could go on, but I consider these to be some of the strongest turnoffs for me... Overly complex puzzles made me throw down games like Paper Mario: Sticker Star before I even finished a chunk of them.

7. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    • Horrible ost
    • Urking characters
    • A slow start to the "interesting story".
    • Bad resolution.
    • Having a character act a certain way without clarification.
    • A unclear ending or mechanic.
    There we go!

8. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Ridiculously/unnecessarily complex control schemes. Why yes I /love/ learning 10,000 button combinations to kill that one enemy.
    Sometimes sharp difficulty spikes turn me away, too, though if I still like the game I usually tend to take a break, then return and try to move past the point I'm stuck at.

9. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Pay to Win
    No PvP
    Lack of ability requirements to give impressive results (low effort, high reward systems)

And a lot of stuff that I can't remember...but know there is more

10. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Terrible music, bad camera (unless it's Super Mario 64), or too much cut-scenes

11. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Repetitive/monotonous tasks and bad/dialogue are two big ones for me. Also, if the soundtrack is bad I'm not gonna touch it.

12. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    What turns me off to games is usually either: overly-complicated controls/combos (Basically 2D fighters in a nutshell), too much dialogue that drowns out the gameplay (unless it's really interesting), or games that require you to repetitively grind and farm just to be good or progress.

13. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    For me it's mostly an issue if the pacing is too slow, the gameplay or story are too repetitive, or if it's too easy. That was kind of my issue with Detective Pikachu was that it was too slow for such easy gameplay. I'm not sure when I'll be playing it again, but I probably will just because the gameplay, while easy, was still pretty fun and unique.

I've considered replaying Mass Effect a lot lately, but I think the ending kind of ruined it for me. So I guess that's one more thing to add to the list. It was a fun series though.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  14. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    • poor graphics
    • poor controls
    • poor narration/plot explanation
    • poor character development (this can actually ruin certain characters if not done right)
    • cringey dialogue
    That's essentially it. I would normally say I'm not a hard person to please but honestly that BS and I'm just picky af.

15. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    A number of things...

• Loot-boxes/crates
    • Bad voice-acting (when applicable)
    • Bad music/popular RL music (such as games like Need for Speed and Grand Theft Auto)
    • Bad camera controls (or lack of control thereof, such as with the 3D Sonic games)
    • Framerate issues
    • Little/no gameplay explanation (I can put up with boring tutorials far better than this)
    • BAD. WRITING. (this is the reason why I have no faith in the upcoming Fire Emblem game for the Switch; Fateswakening - especially Fates - is so bad that there is no excuse; it's also why Mass Effect 3 failed)

16. WhiteDragonAura

Cyndaquil
    (Quilava)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽63.7
    Level grinding, too many random encounters, and a complicated battle system. I just want to hack and slash without having to think sometimes. :p

17. KalosKing09

KalosKing09 School Kid

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4.4
    What makes me off? It is when you are stuck up in a game, preferably some Pokémon GBA Games, and then you don't know what to do next, just walking around...

18. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Controls are so important to me in a game. If I can barely control my character then I won't play it.

Also, I don't want to be bored while playing a game. I've played quite a few games that are just nothing but busy work.

Microtransactions can also be a turn-off if the game isn't free to play. I just hate that business practice so much.

19. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Hmmm. A big turn off for me is if it's a pay to win, online only game. I've played enough of those in the past to be disappointed, especially when they get shut down. Lootboxes in general within games just annoy me.

20. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    Introducing new gameplay mechanics when we're well into the game. Maybe not special attacks, because I understand that some things can be locked until a special attack is unlocked. I meant new ways to traverse the environment after the halfway mark that involve out of battle techniques. Looking at you, Dream Team.