1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Anime/Manga What's Most Important To You in Anime and Manga?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ConfettiCat, Apr 9, 2017.

1. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Like the title says.

What is most important thing to you in an anime or manga? For example, the plot? The character development? The music, perhaps? Or others? What is it that, if done well, makes you love it and if done badly, pisses you off ruins the experience and drives you away?

Personally, I think the plot is very important (obviously). If an anime or a manga has a good plot, it will have the power to pull the viewers into their universe and that's what I think creates excitement. Character development is also important, because we can see the characters grow, possibly mature as time passes (unless the time doesn't pass), and that creates a bond between the characters and the viewers (a.k.a. me). Usually it leads to the feels train when someone dies.

One other thing that's important to me is the art style. I don't exactly have a clear preference on art styles, but I usually know which ones I like and don't like when I see it. I like styles with good details (like strands of hair and such), at least slightly normal-looking proportions, and good expressions. Large eyes are fine with me, but overly large eyes are just... no. I might sound like a detail maniac, but if the outlines are all the same thickness/size it weirds me out.

So, what's most important to you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,993.4
    I second a good story, but I also enjoy likeable characters, cool powers, and music

For me, a good story needs to have at least one character I can cheer for, care about, or resonate with in some way. Likewise, if something about a character frightens me or rubs me the wrong way, I may drop the series (extreme, I know, but I scare very easily) In addition, I don't mind filler, so long as it fleshes out the world and the characters, or is placed in such a way that I can take a breather after an intense arc.

Cool powers need not always be different and unique, although that does help--even your standard "type chart" of powers can be done well

Music, for me, is part of the experience, so I want to hear songs I can listen to on repeat, and possibly sing along with. If I don't remember any of the music, or it's nails-on-the-chalkboard bad (even if a character is intentionally a bad singer, it can still be listenable) I will turn it off

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am very big on the plot as well but for me it is the character design, I need to like what I look at so for me I can get past art styles but if the characters look interesting then I am interested

4. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I'm a bit different and will say the characters are very important to me! I hate an anime with very bland characters, even if the plot is good.

5. Orangesyum88

PokéPoints:
    ₽77.8
    The plot is the most important. I do get annoyed by the anime tropes, I prefer reading manga for it is true to the story.

6. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    I guess everyone can agree that the plot is very important. ^_^ I was originally going to say that the art is a make-or-break for me, but then I remembered some cases where I endured some meh art because of the plot.

7. ChaoticLupa

Shadow
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽90.7
    Ummm romance between the main characters, THOSE are the ships I live for... If I cant ship anyone in an anime, then I get bored really quick... It also has to be funny and have a large fan base.

8. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Basically what you said. A ship I can fangirl about (which Pokémon has deprived me of-WHERE'S MY SOULSILVER SHIPPING?!), a fairly dark plot (again-no), good, thick story with conspiracy theory possibilities, and a fanbase that I can rave about with. For manga, I need action and power, and of course good-looking characters that I can drool over and draw-wait, did I just say that?!
    #MissingNo

ChaoticLupa likes this.
  9. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    Character development, storyline, gags and references.
    Mostly in that order.

Whether it was subbed or dubbed was a reason too once.
    Nowadays I can easily watch both.

10. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Wow, that's kinda nice. I normally watch subs because I tend to like the characters' original voices better.

11. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Well, depends on the genre.. I mean, if it is comedy it has to make me laugh. Most of times, I stay with the most cliche animes because it is hard to find something original these days.

At Manga I want to get tons of content with a short amount of pages. There are some mangas that you can read and in the end it were 5 seconds in the reality (of the story) but you explored someone's mind far beyond that normal what makes the end of the text something worth and important to the storyline.

So yes, character development and storyline is important. And sometmies some special effects help the anime.

12. Enasencca

Enasencca Ace Trainer

Mercury
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽592.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Rocky Helmet ★★★★★PokéBallPokéBallGreat Ball
    I find the Plot very important in anime and manga I watch/read. It has to be unpredictable and exciting, and it shouldn't just follow common tropes like others.

There should also be character development, even for side characters. I want the people to be 3 dimensional, instead of flat boring characters. A good example would be Bnha.

I love world building as well. Maybe it's just my role player self speaking out, but I want to know more about the setting, more about the place the characters live and interact in. The history, the culture, the citizens!

13. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Plot is really important to me, and so is art. I ended up not liking Fruit's Basket very much because the art seemed a little more old fashioned to me. Also, believable romance...I guess? I really liked Monthly Girl's Nozaki-Kun because while some parts were unrealistic, unrequited love is totally realistic and it was funny to watch. However, I also liked Ouran High School Host Club and pretty much nothing was believable about those situations XD I mean, the romance sure was believable but I think very few people can relate to Haruhi's situation. Oh well. It doesn't matter, because it's one of my favorite animes to this day!

14. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    Boobs

15. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I look forward to a good plot, and Character development. It technically depends on the manga/anime.

16. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Same thing that's top priority in anything for me: Characters I can enjoy and at the very least, a competently written story. You can give me the most cliched premise ever, but give me a really good cast of characters and I'll eat it up. If there's one thing I've found over the years, it's that characters are much more important to a story than the plot itself. It might not make too much sense, but that's what I've found.

17. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,032.8
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Good plot and likable characters, although even with a good plot I do still have standard's for the art, if it simply just hurts to look at no matter the story I cannot get myself to finish it.

18. kindred

kindred Collector

friend
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽205.8
    i like good character development, music, plot and art style, as well as characters i can relate to. characters i can relate to is a big one, or if it has a plot that intrigues me. i've been very picky about anime lately though and manga, though i never really was a huge manga reader, always been more of an anime watcher.

19. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Agree With You.
    (Your Signature Do Scare Me...)

kindred likes this.
  20. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Wow, that is the shorter and more effective way to say what I was trying to say xD