1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What's your biggest challenge in writing a story?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Sonic Ramon, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Sonic Ramon

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    This can include fanfics and original stories of your own as well. Me personally, I'll say the challenge comes from plotting the said story's chapter and drafting it. Mostly due to my brain wanting to go blank in wonderland a lot and tend to think about the future a lot on the story I'm doing, making progress not moving forward. If you get my drift. x3x'

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Darcy

Darcy Strongest Blade in Valor

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Philosopher's CowlPsychium Z ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Heheheheh.

Sorry, I just found that funny.

I have problems with progressing the story as well, though for different reasons. I tend to plan the beginning and the end, but the middle always stumps me. I have trouble getting from point A to point B.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    I think my biggest challenge is getting all of my ideas for a story into an actual narrative. Especially because I tend to lose interest in whatever I'm working on at that point and move on to something else.

4. Sonic Ramon

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    Haha, it's fine, pal. And I feel ya. XD

Darcy likes this.
  5. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,660.4
    For me it's putting it into words and describing characters and what's happening. Sometimes I think that I could draw what my characters are doing, but then I realize that I don't know how to get them to what they look like

6. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    For whatever reason, when I decide to write a story, I can figure out essentially how it's going to go. Like, how it starts, how it ends, and what happens to get to the end, but I have a lot of trouble with figuring out the exact details to put in the middle of the story. I'm having that issue with an original story I'm working on right now, but oddly enough I've started to realize that once I get through this part and the next segment that I have pretty much figured out, I'll be working on the climax and should be done not long after that.

Aside from that, research. I take so many notes, I usually have to keep them in a separate document to keep track of them. Even for fanfics, I'm constantly having to look over Pokémon movesets and things like that to stick with the canon.

Sonic Ramon likes this.
  7. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    It's between filler and describing clothing. I'm impatient so when writing a story I prefer to develop my characters along with the story, but when I need to dedicate a chapter to them, as filler? I get so lost. Also, I have no 'fashion sense' and can't describe clothing to save my life. Another would be romance, honestly not sure where to start with that... I have so many problems in that department for writing xD

8. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    I'm terrible with clothes too. Presumably the characters are wearing clothes, so a lot of the time I just skip over it unless what they're wearing is plot specific. As for filler, generally if you add in something that somehow contributes to the climax of the story, it works out okay.

9. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    See, I had the same mindset for clothes at first, but I forgot one time and I kept getting questions like "Are they fighting naked? Why are they naked? GET SOME CLOTHES ON THEM DAMN IT!" Okay the last one is a bit of a demand, but you get my point lol

10. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    It's weird that they would just assume that. If that's the case, just try being general about it? I described one of my main characters as "Being wrapped almost entirely in leather and steel armor" but didn't get much more specific than that, aside from a few details that are important to the plot.

There's another non-human character I have who belongs to a species I entirely made up, so his wardrobe is something unique to his species and needed some more explanation. In that case, since his species is covered in fur, it might make sense for someone to assume that they're not wearing anything if it's not otherwise specified.

11. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Ehh, I find that a lot of time readers skim over seemingly unimportant details, and at times clothing can be that which is why I understand their confusing. So I emphasise on it a lot more now so they know it's there and important-ish

12. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    The Most Challenging Challenge For Myself In Writing A Story Is The Way The Story Link To The A Person's Life.

13. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    My greatest challenge is getting around to writing. I write in spurts where I will get whatever train of thought I have in mind complete. This results in me taking many breaks because I can't find a train of thought to get writing.

In terms of writing, I would have to say its differentiating characters in dialogue. I always second guess whether or not two or more character's dialogue just blends together and becoming forgettable.

Getus likes this.
  14. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    I'd say it's a tie between two particular elements: 1) Getting started and 2) Getting all the way to the end.
    Getting started can be a challenge because I'm not always 100% sure what the first sentence should be and getting all the way to the end is mainly a challenge when I write a really long story because I find I need to be super focused to do it. (That and actually know exactly how to end it. Sometimes even when I do plan the ending in advance, I stop and wonder if the ending actually works thus resulting in me spending as long as an hour debating if I should actually go that route)

Geroniny and Getus like this.
  15. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    My biggest challenge when writing my fanfiction stories is my inability to use poetic descriptions. I find that often I have a hard time making poetic statements or using similes/metaphors just because I think and write what is literally happening and I don't take time to make it look poetic unless it looks beautiful to my character. Also editing. Getting words on the page is one thing but when you have dyslexia, it makes editing that mess a whole lot harder.

For my original works, I suffer from a lack of vision. When I say vision, I mean I can't see the characters or environments. Unlike with fanfictions where the character is already made, I have to come up with an image of the personality I make. Often I'm just left with a blank face which makes their actions and statements harder to visualize when I'm writing. If I can't see the character, than I can't write the character.

16. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    For me, it's execution and if I'm in the mood to write. I can have a clear idea of what I want to do, plots drafted and everything in the right place and not be inspired or finding enjoyment in writing, which pretty much shuts me down. It's hard to write when it feels like a chore instead of something fun.

I also rely heavily on feedback to tell me what I do good/what I need to do better and such. Having filler reviewers/or lack thereof reviews in general can also be a mood killer too.

17. jordan1510

jordan1510 Aura Guardian

Legendary Egg
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽28.3
    defiantly trying to carry on the plot and keep it original

Sonic Ramon likes this.
  18. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I think the hardest part of writing anything for me is actually getting started. This is often including the first chapter, but plotting a story, too.

Also, I mostly have trouble planning my story and all the events. I usually have the beginning, end a a heap of random scenes down, but no idea how to string them all together.

19. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I get good ideas to start with, but then during the middle I get lost and unable to finish..

20. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I totally agree with that. Starting a story for me is one of the hardest bits, especially since it lays the foundation for the rest of your story.

One thing that's hard for me is being satisfied with what I write. Sometimes, I'll put pen to paper and then look at it and suddenly think, "Wow, this isn' looking like what I wanted it too."

Mandriel likes this.