1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What's your skill level?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, May 24, 2020.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    What would you consider your skill level as a gamer to be? What areas do you excel in, and which do you struggle with? Also, how many times has your perception of your skill level been challenged? Ever come across a game you should be able to do easily, only find yourself unable to?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Time to go down the list -

- I'd like to think I'm pretty good at platformers. Most of them have a pretty simple basic idea, and I'm pretty good with execution for things like this. I'm able to play some more difficult Mario Maker levels for example, even if I'm not the absolute best in the world at that game. It helps that platforming is probably my favorite genre of video games.

- I suck at first person shooters. I've played very few and I'm just not adjusted to how they control. It doesn't help that the people I play against are bound to be more experienced than I am. I don't play these at all except for Splatoon which I'm okay at, but Splatoon is known as "the shooter that isn't a shooter," and I can't really count it.

- I don't know with RPGs. I've only really played Pokémon and the first Paper Mario, and I didn't have any issue completing either of those. Paper Mario isn't difficult though, and Pokémon isn't difficult if you know what you're doing, so I can't really say. I think I'd be good at the rest of them since I'm good with strategic stuff but can't really say.

those are the only three i can really comment on lol

3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,397.0
    I will also divide this by genre:

Shooters
    - I find that once I put a handful of hours into shooters, my skill level is actually great. I normally lead "Team Deathmatch" modes in kills and usually have a high KDR. I am better at third-person shooters than FPS. Splatoon and Star Wars Battlefront are my favorite shooters and I definitely excel at the latter.

Strategy
    - My skill in the Civilization franchise is nothing special. I typically play on the easier difficulties and enjoy having a simple path to success. Fire Emblem is the other strategy franchise I spend a lot of time on. I am nothing special when it comes to the hardcore community (I'm definitely below average here), but am much better at the games than the casual player. I beat Thracia 776, Awakening Lunatic, and am currently halfway done with my Golden Deer Maddening. This is my favorite genre and one I'm constantly getting better at.

JRPG's
    - Pokémon has never been much of a challenge for me and I was pretty good at the competitive scene for the short time I was in it. I am pretty good at Persona 5 as well, having all of my game overs in Royal at the same boss. Other JRPG's is where I have run into problems. The battle system in Xenoblade 2 did not get along with me. Most JRPG's I play on easy and occasionally normal difficulty.

Platformers
    - This really depends on the platformer for me. Generally speaking, I am more comfortable with 2D platformers over 3D. Despite playing it for most of my life, I'm not very good at Super Mario 64. Donkey Kong Country 2 is a game I've become pretty good at over the years in the 2D section. Overall, I'd say I'm no better than average at platformers.

Puzzle
    - I'm not very good at these. Unless it is Tetris or really simple, there is a good chance I will look something up when I run into puzzles. Mostly I find these can mess with pacing and bore me in a lot of games.

Racing
    - If is isn't Mario Kart, I suck at it. MKWii is the only game I have recorded speedrun times for and I'm not too bad (although I am far from competing for any records). Among my irl friends and family, Mario Kart is something I dominate pretty handily. This streak of success ends when it comes to Need for Speed and other racing franchises. For the genre as a whole, I'd say I'm mediocre.

Fighting
    - Super Smash Bros. is a game I'm no better than average at in the competitive community. This has held true through both 4 and Ultimate. The only other fighting game I play is Injustice 2. I don't exactly excel at this one, but it is slowly helping me learn the ropes of fighting games. The stupid mini-game in Persona 5 helped me learn fighting game inputs and I can now do them pretty well. Overall, definitely below average.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,861.4
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I consider myself a casual gamer in all genres. I can rack up playtime easily, but I never dig deep into the technical or speed aspects of it. I play to have fun, and if I'm not having fun, it's time to switch. I've had many times where I fail to beat a boss several times, and then quit switch to something else, and come back when I'm ready to have fun again. That's why I tend to go for more story based or sandbox games, such as Terraria, Minecraft, Pokémon, and even turn based RPG's (I recommend Golden Sun, imo, one of the brightest gems of the GBA)

5. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    @Wizard I hope you don't mind that I borrow your format. When I do play games lately I turn up the difficulty to either hard or normal:

1- Hopeless
    5- Professional (needs to be paid)
    Shooters
    My skill: 3/5
    Shooters are fun especially when it comes to games like Warframe or Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Classic) but I am nearly hopeless when it comes to PvP. I normally think that if I get a 1 to 1 kill/death ratio I am doing good.

Strategy
    My skill: 4/5 (depends on the game)
    I absolutely enjoy games like Civilization or Starcraft but I do not like playing against other players because I seem to just get crushed most of the time. I do enjoy the Total War franchise and right now I am playing as the High Elves and I am struggling against the invasion of the Dark Elves but normally I would win an even fight (but the computer would consider a lot of the victories close or pyrrhic)... I am still having fun.

JRPG's
    My skill: 2/5 (not a lot of experience)
    I love this genre because of games like Kingdom Hearts (played Kindom Hearts 2 and 3 but never finished them) but I really don't have that many games that would be considered to be here so... I don't really know.

Platformers
    My skill: 4/5
    I am going to be considering the Megaman franchise to be in this category. I did beat the Megaman Zero games so, I think I am reasonable but the last time I tried to play a Metroid game I struggled.
    Puzzle
    My skill: 2/5 (not a lot of experience)

Racing
    My skill: 2/5
    The only racing game really got into was Star Wars: Pod Racers... other than that I really just never had a good chance to play a game like Mario Kart.

Fighting
    My skill: 1/5 (forget it)
    Just forget it I really don't like this genre because I would have a plan in my head but the execution would never work out AND on top of that I never really owned any fighting games until recently with the arrival of Super Smash Bros. Normally when I do play these games its with people that have hours and hours of experience while I step into the ring without even starting the tutorial.

Wizard likes this.
  6. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I’m a casual who tries to play competitive and fails... I tried to get into competitive Smash Bros but there’s too many technical terms and I gave up shortly. Pokémon, on the other hand, I’m decent at competitive, but I refuse to use anything viable and prefer using bad/unorthodox sets.

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I am a causal gamer who borderlines competitive. When it comes to FPS, I have a lot of experience, but my skill varies. I play planetside 2 a lot and I'm at least at the point where I can maintain a KD that's above 1 as a medic, but when it comes to games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2006) my friends say that I'm a god at it. Strategy is something I'm also experienced with, but far from competitive. I used to play a lot of supreme commander and total war, but I'm no where near a competitive mindset. However, I have noticed that my mind is rather adaptable, and if I watch the tricks of other competitive players, I will start mimicking them really quickly until I am playing competitively. Its the same sort of thing I experienced when I watched the Pokémon TCG 2015 tournament. I learned how to play the game, and what made a good deck or not all by watching the league.
    Racing is the genre I'm really good at. I haven't played it in years, but the tips, tricks, and skills I have learned from my racing god hood of my youth still carries over today. I was never good at Mario cart, but I made sure to practice every single day on Midnight club 3 so I was perfect at racing.

8. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Shooters
    During the few times I’ve played first person shooters, I couldn’t adapt to the control style. Aiming with an analog stick in aggravating and enemy hit boxes are usually very small.

Strategy
    I’m not an expert, but I’m also not awful at this genre. On games like Fire Emblem, I tend to stick to “hard” difficulties rather than “expert.”

JRPG's
    Action RPGs confuse me with their complex combo systems. For that reason I prefer turn-based RPGs. On those, I can effectively prepare items and armor with no issue. The only time I really struggle with this genre is when there is an unexpected difficulty spike.

Platformers
    It really depends on the game. I’m decent at Mario and Shovel Knight, but abysmal with Mega Man.

Puzzle
    Horrendous. I can never get a decent score on anything above the beginner difficulties. Tetris, Puyo Puyo, Picross, you name it, I’m bad at it.

Racing
    Outside of Mario Kart, I haven’t gotten into any racing games. I am decent a Mario Kart 8 though.

Fighting
    To quote the great Reggie Fills Amié: “I suck at Smash.”

Rhythm
    This is the only genre I’m confident in. Whether it’s Persona 5 Dancing In Starlight or Cytus 2, I have no problem playing on the highest difficulty. Even on harder games like DJ Max Respect, I’ve been able to become more skilled very quickly.

9. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I'm ok at most genres with the exceptions mainly being racing and modern platformers

I feel that with rhythm games the skill barrier for both myself and the community is skyrocketing as time goes on and it's really fucking awesome