1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 7 Where does this generation land on your list of favourite gens?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by colours, Jan 25, 2018.

1. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Out of the 5 different Pokémon games I've played (counting sm and usum as two seperate ones) This comes in the top 3, competing with X and AS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Calzone

Calzone Banned

Charmelion
    (Charmeleon)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.0
    I've played every region and this one land 10\10 would play again

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ultmia

Ultmia Youngster

Nixson
    (Cubone)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.4
    I'd say, location wise, It's probably my favorite in the entire series, I've always been a sucker for Hawaii and island culture. So bright, colorful and laidback. It's insanely hard not to smile just walking around in this game. Gen-Wise though, it's...Probably 3rd. It was a definite improvement to Gen 6 in my eyes, but I don't think they've done much..Improvement for the series as a whole like Gen 4's Physical/Special Split or Gen 5's bigger importance on story. I'm not saying it's bad, I love it's unique take, but I don't think a lot of game mechanics other then probably Pokémon Refresh, and More Customization are going to transfer over to the next eventual game in the franchise. These just feel a lot more Personal, in a sense, more...Reserved for Alola, rather then being new stuff that will forever be in the Pokémon World, like Regional Variants, or Totem Pokémon.

4. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I'd would say it's on the third place, but I am not really sure about that. Before Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon came out, Kalos took the third place.
    And I don't really know which is better, so it's a tie. But it cannot beat Hoenn and Unova in my opinion.

5. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,267.0
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I have yet to finish Ultra Sun (I am really busy with other games lately) but so far from what I did in Moon and in Ultra Sun, I would say this is the list:
    1- Gen 3
    2- Gen 5
    3- Gen 1
    4- Gen 2
    5- Gen 7
    6- Gen 6

If other generations would have gotten megas Gen 7 would have landed higher.

6. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    It's probably my fourth favorite. I don't think anything will ever top gen 2 for me, I'm not even sure why I like it so much. Maybe because just considering how simple the games were, there was still a lot to it. A lot of the gen 2 Pokémon looked great too. Plus all of the new mechanics that were added. In recent generations, new mechanics have just started to feel like gimmicks, I guess. Fun gimmicks, sure, but still gimmicks.

7. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    2nd favorite. Gen 3 is still my top fav and Kalos was a tie for 2nd but in the end it's the story that goes in Gen 7 that pushed it to 2nd

8. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Nothing will ever top HOenn for me, but I'd say Alola sits around 3rd or 4th on my list. It was a very decent generation over all, and I enjoyed the games, but some of the other gens are just that much better in my book :P

9. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    For me, it's probably third or fourth. I think what Game Freak did well what emulate the overall Hawaiian theme which was really cool; it was all in the player's face and everything and the culture is just so much more integrated in the games this generation than in any past generation, which is really neat. I also like what Game Freak did as far as trials go and also gave the trial captions their own more unique, fleshed out personality which is probably why I preferred trials to gyms.

That said, there's a big concern in Alola feeling tiny and limited, and it's probably not Game Freak's fault entirely, considering the island the region is based off of. Cutscenes I personally don't mind because Pokémon isn't the only JRPG I play, but I can understand why that may put people off. And the games pretty much depend upon whether you like Lillie/Kukui/Hau/Team Skull or some combination of those characters.

It'll definitely be hard to top Platinum and Emerald as my top favourites. SM/USUM came rather close at first, but upon reflection, there's still so much more that Game Freak could do!

10. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Probably my third favourite. I loved most of the Pokémon introduced in this gen, I thought the Alola region was nice and full of personality, and I highly enjoyed playing Sun and Moon (USUM were a bit 'bleh' imo).

11. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    Gen VII actually comes in second place for me, falling short of the #1 spot (occupied by Gen V), but coming out on top of Gen VI.

12. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I would say at the middle.As it has a lot of cutscenes.
    It hardly stops.After a major battle?Here,a 10 minutes long cutscene
    May be not that long but you know what I mean

13. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    Hmm... My opinion on each gen kinda changed over time so as of now, I think:
    1. Gen V - BW/BW2
    2. Gen III - Emerald
    3. Gen IV - HGSS
    4. Gen VI - ORAS
    5. Gen VII - Moon (Haven't played US/UM)

14. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Haven't played Sun and Moon So I'd probably say...
    1. HeartGold/SoulSilver
    2. XY/ORAS
    3. Black/White (And their sequels)
    4. Platinum
    5. Emerald

15. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    OK a detailed list

1:XY
    2:Platinum(Same as B2W2)
    3:BW(Due to a YouTuber who plays the game)
    4:USUN/SM
    5:B2W2(My personal experience)
    6:Soul Silver(The normal gym...)

16. Iopdev

Iopdev Dragonair Enthusiast

Ceto
    (Dragonair)
    Level 46
    PokéPoints:
    ₽143.5
    Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    1. Pokémon Black and White
    2. Pokémon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum
    3. Pokémon Sun and Moon
    4. Pokémon FireRed and Leafgreen
    5. Pokémon Yellow

17. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Probably either first or second place, mostly because black and white were my first games, and partly my favorite gen.

18. GlaceonSilver

PokéPoints:
    ₽621.6
    It's hard to say for me: I've only played three generations, being gen 4, 5, and 7. Looking at gen 7, I can't say that it should be anywhere higher than third place because really, it doesn't do enough new. I love how the gameplay is streamlined and polished when comparing to gen 5, but I know that a lot of that polish and streamlining didn't actually start in gen 7: it mostly came from gen 6.

Beyond that, a lot of the new things feel too centralized to the alola region itself. I highly doubt that things like totem Pokémon or trials will make a return in later games. It was a change in style, but not one that I personally enjoyed. Also, not having a national dex is a big disappointment.

All in all, gen 7 just really didn't do it for me besides polish, but all that started in gen 6 so it's really not fair for me to like gen 7 based on those grounds. The best thing I can say about gen 7 that's really unique to it is ride Pokémon, and holy crap do I love ride Pokémon.

Anyways, I'm mostly in the middle. It was ok, but not spectacular to me.

19. RegionRunner150

RegionRunner150 PKMN Breeder

All of You
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽63.5
    Leaf Stone ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Great Ball ★★
    For me the generation list goes

7.) Gen 2
    6.) Gen 6
    5.)Gen 1
    4.)Gen 5
    3.) Gen 7
    2.) Gen 4
    1.) Gen 3

Generation 7 had just enough new to me to feel awesome, and had so many cool ideas that I just feel weren't elaborated on more. I mean the Alolan forms could be the start of something really unique in the Pokémon World, but they felt like a sideshow to "NEBBY STAY IN THE BAG."

20. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I don't have a definite list of my favourite generations, but 7 is pretty high up there. Despite the story's slow pacing toward the beginning, I like how the formula's been changed up and I found myself growing attached to the Kahunas and Trial Captains more than the Gym Leaders and Elite Four of previous generations.