1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Which shiny Charizard?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, May 8, 2020.

?

Which shiny Charizard do you prefer?

1. Purple Charizard

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Black Charizard

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Charizard’s current shiny is black with red wings. But its original shiny in gen 2 was purple with green wings. Which do you prefer and why?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Oh, I never knew Charizard's shiny was different. I'm so glad they decided to change that. I very much prefer black/red.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,927.3
    I think the old purple one looks better. The black shiny is just trying too hard to look edgy.

4. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I like both of them, but the purple one just stands out even more. I think it's because it still looks cool, despite using a similar color scheme to Barney the Dinosaur.

5. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Black and red is such a typical color combination, while I personally really like purple and green. I'm also not really a fan of how Charizard's color specifically was changed while back then all of the shiny colors were based on color swaps. It just feels like more Charizard favoritism. I think maybe if the purple Charizard was a slightly darker shade of purple that it would have been alright as it was.

6. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I think the purple/green idea would've been cool! Would also help differentiate it from MC X.
    Nobody ever does purple fire... it's always blue-

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I want to say jet black is cool but, purple is just the color to put on a Charizard. Besides, the new MC X ruined the black shiny Charizard's uniqueness. I really don't get game freak's obsession with Charizard.

8. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Black and red all day every day.

The color combo completely changes Charizard’s entire vibe. It makes his features just look much more intimidating and that’s only complemented by his red eyes.

The red wings add a nice pop to combat all the black but his white under belly also works super well in breaking up the color while looking fly. But the greatest part about the modern Zard shiny is that it’s actually distinct and is a complete 180 from his original color palette. Look, I love Charizard to death but the orange and yellow isn’t exactly an imposing color scheme and doesn’t give the same vibes as the black since it accentuates his features and looks more intimidating overall.

As much as I wouldn’t be against the OG shiny over the OD shiny, the purple and green do also fit the bill off some of the requirements. It goes in a different direction than with Zard normal palette but instead of going for dark, imposing colors vs Zard’s kinda more happy color scheme, OG Zard uses cooler colors that complement Zard’s happy and childish choice of colors. I would say that the purple doesn’t really do much make his features more pronounced but that’s just me.

But I’d always take the black and red. It complements the idea of Charizard being a big, imposing, Pokémon that the anime has ALWAYS wanted to show Charizard as.