1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Who do you want for smash 5 (serious)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Which character do you hope they'll add to the upcoming Smash game? What is your reasoning behind it? What kind of moves would they have?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. The Eccentric Axolotl

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,415.8
    Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★
    I'm hoping to see the following:

Shovel Knight - Arguably the best indie game representative for Smash Bros, his alts can be based on his numerous armours (maybe even Black Knight) and if you type 'WSWWAEAW' or 'X&BUTT' as a name, the announcer should call Shovel Knight 'Butt Butt'. He also has quite a few possibilities for his move set; a wide shovel swing as his F-smash, propeller dagger for recovery, a switchable projectile of: the flare wand, throwing anchor and chaos sphere, the list goes on.

The only criteria where I see he may not get in are that his moveset might feel/be too similar to Megaman and/or Link's moveset, that and I'm not sure how popular he is and Japan.

(On a side-note I really want to see Sans in Smash Bros. But I feel his franchise isn't on the same page as Shovel Knight in terms of probability, plus his moveset and gameplay style will need to require a lot of creativity, then again this is Sakurai we're talking about, I mean he gave a UNIQUE moveset to the Duck Hunt Duo).

Solid Snake - This needs no further explanation, I along many others just want to see him return... Let's just hope Konami will let him in this time, or whoever owns the copyright to his character and franchise.

Waluigi - If Little Mac can get in, so can Waluigi. His specials can be reminiscent of all the sport games and spin-offs he's been in, there's even a brawl mod of this character with a somewhat unique moveset, so it's not like there isn't potential for this character.

Some honourable mentions include: Hades, Decidueye, Geno (who actually has a chance now with Cloud, a Square Enix character, being playable), Mystery Dungeon Grovyle and King K. Rool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Absolute Zero likes this.
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    They need to put in some more old Nintendo characters. With the Switch's new engine, it should be easy for them to bring the Ice Climbers back. We all want them back...

Though, I would also like to see characters from lesser-known series (Not specifically Nintendo) appearing as well. Maybe not as playable fighters, but perhaps as assist trophies instead. Like... The Wonderful 101, for example. I'd imagine Wonder Red making it in. Do people even remember that Wii U title? I thought it was awesome.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,631.2
    I want Ice Climbers and Wolf as playable characters again. A few characters that I want added are Ridley, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Rayman and Shantae.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  5. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Characters that are probably a lock to be included:

Shovel Knight - One of the major faces of indie gaming at this point (despite his game being a blatant copy of Mega Man 2), he's a face that is fairly well-known - and respected - and with Yacht Games' good relationship with Nintendo I could see him coming about. He also has his own moveset already, so you don't need to make up too much. I don't think we've really had an indie rep yet so this could be a good idea.

Ice Climbers - The only reason they were excluded from Smash 4 is because the 3DS version couldn't handle them both at once (the Wii U had no issues), and they wanted to push cross-platform play for this game. Now that we're on the Switch, there's no reason for the Ice Climbers not to be included, so we'll see them come back.

Inkling - Oh, wait.

Characters I'd like to see included:

Isaac (Golden Sun) - He stopped being an Assist Trophy and yet they kept his songs around (one was actually added), and we hadn't seen hide nor hair of the guy. A lot of people were holding out on hope that he'd make it in as DLC, though in the end he lost that spot to Bayonetta (which I really can't be too mad about, as Bayonetta was also a nice idea).

Spring Man (ARMS) - If Splatoon's Inklings are in, what's to say that Nintendo's other new surprise IP can't make it in as well? You could make a case for any 1 of the ARMS characters, though since Spring Man is the mascot of the series, it makes the most sense to be him.

Waluigi - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Alm (Echoes) - Though if Alm makes it in, I would rather one of the others be swapped out in compensation, preferably Lucina or Ike (since the three blue-haired people play almost exactly the same). Then again, looking at this more critically, I can't think of anything that would really set Alm apart (or Alfonse), as Robin and Corrin have given themselves niches. Or we could get the surprise FE Switch rep, since this isn't the first time that FE characters have been announced before their games have (remember, Roy debuted in Melee).

Professor Layton - Look, if Phoenix Wright can get himself into a fighting game, then so can the good professor. Level-5 has historically been closer with Nintendo than Capcom has, so it makes sense.

Crash Bandicoot - This one is a bit more of a serious suggestion, mostly because his moveset is already pre-designed (like Shovel Knight). Initially this would be a joke suggestion, except now we know that Crash games are going to be on the Switch come July, so I really cannot discount the possibility that he could be there - and it would be a nice avenue for the non-Nintendo franchises as well. IF all goes well, we could have Spyro in Smash later as well, for the same reasons (since Crash and Spyro are both under the Activision umbrella).

::::

Knowing me I doubt much of that will happen, but at this point anything is possible.

The Eccentric Axolotl likes this.
  6. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Shovel Knight would definitely be cool, he got his own Amiibo and stuff too, so I can see it happen.

Also Rayman, because I'm a huge Rayman nerd and I want more love for him.

7. The Eccentric Axolotl

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,415.8
    It's also worth noting that Heihachi from Tekken was planned, however he was scrapped because implementing his moves were difficult. Who knows, maybe this newest instalment will give him a chance?

8. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,521.6
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Wolf: My main in Brawl, and a completely unjustified cut, seeing as how Dr. Mario, Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo all made a return.

Dark Samus: While I would love for Ridley to be playable, I just don't see him working. And here isn't really any other majorly important characters in the franchise. Dark Samus, however, is the main villain of the Metroid Prime series, would be great promotion for Prime 4, and has a ton of potential to be a completely unique character, such as their command over Phazon. They could also pull from Samus' Hyper Mode abilities from Prime 3, such as their beam being rapid-fire when fully charged rather than just a larger blast. I'm just afraid they'll just make them a clone of Samus...

Rex: Sakurai has already stated that he's played and enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's a massively popular game, and I honestly think he is a guarantee. I'm just not really sure what sort of moveset Sakurai will give him.

Steve (Minecraft): Okay, this isn't as much of a hope as an expectation. I see a lot of you suggesting Shovel Knight as the best indie rep, but Minecraft has been around longer and is one of the most popular games OF ALL TIME. It's definitely the most successful indie game by a landslide, and is one of the most successful video game franchises as well. There's also a lot of stuff they could pull from for a moveset, with actual weapons like swords, bows, and shields, and random stuff like maybe a fishing rod for his grab? Basically a Villager and Game & Watch- esc moveset. I also predict that Alex will be an alternate costume.

Ice Climbers: The only reason they were cut from Smash 4 was because of the 3DS's limitations. Sakurai has even stated that he tried to get them working and was sad he had to cut them. So yeah, I will be VERY surprised if they don't come back on the Switch.

Fawful: This one's a pipe dream. I think it would be great to represent the Mario & Luigi series, seeing as how it's becoming a bit of a staple franchise now. And Fawful makes the most sense to be playable as he's been in most of the games (at least three, excluding remakes, and I think he was also in Dream Team as a secret boss or something?). He's just a good Mario villain, and could have a combination of moves utilizing his vacuum helmet thing, his blaster from Bowser's Inside Story, and his dark powers as Dark Fawful.

New Pokémon Rep:
    Whether it's a Gen VII or Gen VIII, I think a new Pokémon character is imminent, and will probably replace Greninja. If it's Gen VII, it's most likely it'll be Decidueye, though I wouldn't be surprised if they had Lycanroc instead, due to his large presence in the media. Hell, Sakurai could even go back a bit and decided to represent Gen III or Gen V. Look, here's my predictions depending on which generation:
    • Gen VII: As I already said, it's probably Decidueye. But I think Lycanroc would be a good fit too. It's quadrupedal, a type that hasn't been represented yet, and another speedster to replace Greninja. Both of these characters would probably have theyre respective Z-moves as their Final Smash. I also think that Lycanroc would be Dusk Form, due to that form being the middle ground between Midday and Midnight, but will probably have alternate costumes based on the other two forms.
    • Gen VIII: Obviously, due to knowign literally nothing about Gen VIII yet, there's not much more of a specific prediction here. I think the new mon will either be the Water-type starter of this generation, and/or the Pokémon of this generation to appear in a movie before it's generation debuts. I mean, that's how Lucario got popular enough for Brawl.
    • Gen III: Im guessing Sceptile for this. Not because I personally really want him (I'm indifferent to it), but because a LOT of people wanted him in Smash 4 to represent the Gen III remakes and have a Grass-type starter to complete the triangle set up with Charizard and Greninja.
    • Gen V: I just want Zoroark. It's sort of a counterpart to Lucario (they have a LOT of stuff in common), and would also fill the gap of a speedster to replace Greninja. Actually, all the Pokémon reps over the entire series have been lightweights except for Charizard and Ivysaur.
    By the way, I just want to stress that I REALLY don't expect to get a previous gen mon.

Fire Emblem Rep: I think the Fire Emblem reps are going to be switched up a bit. I'm predicting Marth, Ike, and Robin guaranteed to stay, Roy is a big maybe, Corrin is a bigger maybe, and Lucina is getting cut. But I think they will also add whoever the main character of Fire Emblem Switch is. Also, I think Corrin is more likely to be cut than Roy because people really wanted Roy back and Fates wasn't nearly as popular among fans as Awakening.

Spring Man: Look, whether or not you still play or even remember it, ARMS was a great game to utilize the Switch. It's a new IP, and I think there's enough variation in the game to make Spring Man a unique character. I mean think about it; a long-range melee fighter with a BUNCH of different types of arms with different effects.

That's really it for me. Although some honorable mentions are King K. Rool, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Impa, Shantae, and YES, EVEN SHOVEL KNIGHT.

EDIT

Oh yeah I forgot there's always a sort of joke character. And by joke I mean unexpected and makes no sense but at the same time makes a lot of sense as a moveset. 64 had Jigglypuff, Melee had Game & Watch, Brawl had R.O.B., and Smash 4 had Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt. So I can see another addition in the same vein. That doesn't mean I know who though.

There's also always at least one retro character (minus the original). Melee had Game & Watch and Ice Climbers, Brawl had R.O.B. and Pit, and Smash 4 had Duck Hunt. So maybe Sakurai'll decide to add Takamaru this time around? He DID consider him for Smash 4, but ultimately cancelled him becauase nobody would've known who the fuck he was.

#8 Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  9. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    To be honest, I believe that we could get Captain Toad. Don't really want it, but I can see it happening.

As for the ones I want, I would like Spring Man or Ribbon Girl from Arms. I also think we will get a new Fire Emblem character, but this time they will replace either Robin or Lucina. We will also get a Pokémon, and I believe it will be the generation 8 grass starter if the Pokémon for the Switch is announced officially by then. If not, I bet we get either Decidueye or Tapu Koko. I bet Ice Climbers are back too, but you guys already know how likely that is.

In terms of 3rd party fighters, they are definitely ditching at least half of the ones from Smash 4. I believe an Indie game character is likely. Shovel Knight is a good choice, as is Steve from Minecraft. (At least in terms of probability. I don't really want Steve.) Shantae and Solaire are possible but I don't see it as very likely.

I also think Undertale has a good chance. Sans is the go to pick for most, but then they would have to disregard the fact that he has one HP in a fighting game. So then Frisk/Chara? No. Too much of a blank slate for the former, and not enough known about the latter. Papyrus is the next most popular, but then again, he is not really strong enough for Smash in my opinion. Asriel/Flowey is either too weak or too strong depending on his form, and Asgore isn't a large enough part in the game. Thus I believe if we get an Undertale character, it will be Undyne. Or Sans could make it due to fan service and popularity alone, but I don't think Sakurai or Toby Fox would want that.

But please, I beg of you Sakurai, don't listen to that one YouTuber who wanted PAULINE in Smash. There is no way that would be a good idea. She would likely be either completely boring, a clone of Peach, or worse competitively than a level 1 CPU of Jigglypuff.

10. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I'm hoping Incineroar will be a playable character. Not only beccause it's one of my favourite Pokémon, but also because I think he would be perfect for a game like this. Besides, Decidueye already got it's turn in Pokken (and if it ends up being in Smash as will I'll be very disappointed). I know Incineroar probably won't get in, but hey, I can dream.
    I'm also hoping for Waluigi. I'm actually suprised he isn't a playable character already.

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Out of the above, I'd be excited for Shovel Knight, Isaac, maybe Waluigi, and definitely the return of the Ice Climbers (as long as they are tactically broken AF), all of whom would be easy to turn into fighters. In addition to that:

Zero: either from the Mega Man X or Mega Man Zero series (probably the latter). I imagine his play style being a fast swordsman character similar to Marth (but slow and strong if from the X series, fast and light if from the Zero series), but with a few long-range options too, like his spear, whip, and boomerang; or just his Z-buster. I'd have a lot of fun with him. The could also easily make X/Vile/Sigma to go along with him.

Dixie Kong: With maneuverability and her gliding hair, Dixie could make an interesting opponent. Her complete moveset would take some creativity on the part of the devs, but I think a throwback to Donkey Kong Country would be great. On that note, how about K Rool as a newcomer?

Terra: From Final Fantasy 3 6. How about a Final Fantasy character who was actually on a Nintendo system, yeah? It would be easy to make her in the game. She has sword fighting and magic, and a built in Final Smash as her esper form.

& Knuckles: I'm not much of a Sonic Fan, but & Knuckles would be a great fit in Smash. I prefer him over Tails, but I suppose either one would work.

Baby Bowser: Not Bowser Jr, but Baby Bowser as seen in Yoshi's Island. He might turn out to be a small-and-fast Bowser clone, but I would make him into one of my mains. And his battle music (and final smash) could be awesome!

F-Zero: Okay, this recommendation is going in reverse. Rather than adding a character from F-Zero, let's get an F-Zero game for Captain Falcon? The last F-Zero game was made in 2004 (and it was only in Japan!). There are users on this site who were born more recently than Captain Falcon's last non-Smash game, and he's still invited to the party?

Hikari likes this.
  12. Hikari

Hikari Poké Maniac

Ryu
    (Trapinch)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽450.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Sora for Smash 5 all the way. He’d be an interesting character with quite a few ways his move set could be.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    PLEASE add more Metroid Characters to the roster. With Prime 4 coming out soon I'd LOVE to see DLC peoples later. At least Sylux and/or Rundas ;_;

14. The Eccentric Axolotl

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,415.8
    With chain-grabbing gone, I'd rather doubt they'll be S tier anymore.

I'm not saying Sora's a bad choice for the roster, but it's probably not going to happen. Two reasons:

1). We already have Cloud as a Square Enix character (yes I'm aware I want Geno in smash and he's a Square Enix, but he's technically a Mario character). Though I don't this as much as a problem compared to the second reason...

2). Since Kindom Hearts is a crossover with the Final Fantasy universe(?) and the Disney universe there may be some problems regarding his licencing of his franchise.

15. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I don't know much about smash since I've only played a couple of times, but I saw a post, on Tumblr I think, suggesting Red Savarin from Solatorobo. It was a really good game, although I'm not sure how many people have played it, so it would be nice to see him in a bigger game.

16. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Oh snap, Geno.I'm adding Geno to my list, though I think it is difficult because of that reason you stated above, though they did get him back enough to use as a mii fighter costume at least. Mallow would probably be just as difficult, but I could go for either.

My list part 2:

Geno (Super Mario RPG): He would make an excellent fast and lightweight glass cannon type, just as he was in SMRPG. He could be a whole lot of fun, even though I lean more toward slow-and-strong types.

Glass Joe (Punch Out): I mentioned him in the joking thread, but I really think he could be a good character the more I think about it. And historically, he's probably beaten more players of Punch Out than any other opponent, largely because he's the first fighter and everyone who has ever played the game has fought him and probably lost at least once, which is more than Hippo can say because many people never got to fight him.

Cecil (Final Fantasy 2 4): I know I mentioned Terra above, but Cecil could also be a representative for Final Fantasy on Nintendo. He would work best if they brought back transformation in a Zelda-Shiek kind of way, but I don't want to write him off entirely.

Proto Man (Mega Man): I would really rather see X or Zero, but if they want to keep Mega Man's representation solely in the classic series, then Proto would be good too.

Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe): So many Joes here. I haven't played much VJ, but what I did was really fun, and he's already made for a side-scrolling-fighting game. This would be great.

Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day): Or maybe it would be best to leave this chapter of Nintendo history buried. It was a dark segment, but I won't be surprised if Conker actually makes it in.

17. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Why is it whenever someone mentions a potential Final Fantasy rep, I just imagine that character to have his/her Dissidia moveset? I know Cloud didn't, but his Dissidia moveset is basic as hell. Now I just watch as Paladin Cecil in Smash becomes amazing in practise.
    I myself couldn't imagine anyone from Final Fantasy making it in; they'd either be too complicated (Lightning) or too basic (the protagonists of the first 10 games, minus Terra). I also wouldn't be surprised if Cloud were simply dropped from the next title, since Snake wasn't in Smash 4.

If a Mega Man character is added in, I feel a Robot Master might be an interesting idea. The question is which one you would pick - and how you'd have to tweak Mega Man's existing moveset to do so. More likely than not, it would be a Robot Master from either MM2 or MM3, since those are the two more well-known/liked of the classic games.

...The more I think about it, the more I realise that pretty much all of the first-party reps in Smash are already accounted for, save for maybe one or two fringe choices that nobody thinks about, or is simply Waluigi.

Okay, yes, I agree with this. Why is Captain Falcon still in Smash?

18. The Eccentric Axolotl

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,415.8
    I think Protoman's better off being an alt of Megaman, since they're not that different from eachother in terms of fightstyle and items. Correct me if otherwise, I've only played Megamans 1-6 on Nes and 5 on Gameboy.

Because the Falcon Punch, of course! (and also being part of the original twelve, or whatever.)
    Besides, is being part of the roster really down to relevance or popularity?

#18 Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  19. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    It's either that, or how strong Sakurai decides to shitpost.

20. The Eccentric Axolotl

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,415.8
    Going back to the idea of alts, here are some characters (and forms) that I think should be model swaps (like Olimar and Alph) instead of having their own slot in the roster:

Luigi - Mr.L
    Bowser - Dry Bowser
    Yoshi - Boshi
    Link - Linkle (maybe even alts of his older versions? Apply this to Zelda and Ganondorf as well.)
    Pac-man - Ms. Pac-man
    Ryu - Ken