1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Who do you write for?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Gazi, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Do you write stories so that other people will enjoy them, or do you write stories because they're something that you yourself want to read?

I'm doing my best to write for myself. I love it when other people enjoy my stories, but I want to be happy with my story even when it seems that nobody else likes it. I've kinda come up with a bit of a motto when it comes to my stories. If there's something you want to read and you can't find it, write it yourself.

2. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I mainly write for myself. Whether essays or stories, I want to kind of dig around in my mind and formulate my own opinions. I think it's extremely to take everything as a learning experience and to incorporate ideas that will satisfy my goals for the work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FNT

FNT Collector

Storm The Fort
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽116.2
    Ultra Ball ★★
    Not really sure here I guess other people?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I just write because even though I know it won’t exist. At least I can make it real in a poorly written fan fic

5. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I write because I have amazing idea in my head and I don't want to see them disappear when I pass. I write so that I may put my ideas down on paper so they wont be forgotten when I go. Kind of for myself I guess.

6. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I mostly write for myself but sometimes I get up the courage to share my work and I try to learn from what they say about it such as lately people have been telling me that I need to give more detail about the world around my characters, which I'm trying to work on right now.

7. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Honestly, when I used to write fanfiction, I only wrote because I had an idea in my head. But with every comment and follower I recieved, it just gaveme more motivation to continue writing.

8. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Mostly me. I like writing my thoughts of how certain things should have gone, no matter how bad it seems in retrospect, and how characters would interact. It's really for my own amusement.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I mostly write for myself, but I also write knowing that other people like the types of things that I write. So I'm hoping when I (eventually) get something published, those people will be able to enjoy what I've written as much as I do.

10. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Writing for someone else rarely seems like a good idea. Going by Neil Gaiman's whole "Make Good Art" speech, making art of any kind won't always pay off from outside sources. Your fans might not like it, your publisher/client might not pay you, and countless other things might fall through. But if you enjoy what you're doing? You'll always at least have that. If you make art that you're not paid for,and which doesn't gain you fans, and which you don't enjoy making... then why did you even do it? At least get your own enjoyment.

That said, I always write for myself. Nobody's paying me anyway, and I'm not being pushed by fans. That leaves myself as the only reason to write. And considering 95% of what I wrote never leaves my hard drive... yeah, I write for myself.

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Writing for someone else rarely seems like a good idea. Going by Neil Gaiman's whole "Make Good Art" speech, making art of any kind won't always pay off from outside sources. Your fans might not like it, your publisher/client might not pay you, and countless other things might fall through. But if you enjoy what you're doing? You'll always at least have that. If you make art that you're not paid for,and which doesn't gain you fans, and which you don't enjoy making... then why did you even do it? At least get your own enjoyment.

That said, I always write for myself. Nobody's paying me anyway, and I'm not being pushed by fans. That leaves myself as the only reason to write. And considering 95% of what I wrote never leaves my hard drive... yeah, I write for myself.

12. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I suppose both, to a degree. I write because it's what I enjoy and it makes me happy, but I'd be lying if I said I wrote only for myself. I want to write things that people will want to read. Granted, that doesn't mean I'll warp my ideas to fit what's popular because I want to please everyone. I suppose I'm hovering a little in the middle, but leaning more toward 'writing for myself'.

13. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,313.6
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Somewhere in between, I guess. These days, more for myself.

14. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,983.4
    I'd saw that I mostly write for myself, but having people interested in what I write certainly helps me stay motivated (now if only I knew what it was like).

15. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I write for myself. I love writing and I love the characters I'm writing about. I do want to publish my work, and I do show it to my friends, enter contests, and post things online, but much of this is either because I'm proud of what I did, I want motivation, or I want feedback. I don't think writing for other people is super healthy, it sounds to me like you'd end up ignoring your own creative flow to please the masses.

16. Zenaku

Zenaku Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.3
    Everything I write, I write mainly for myself. If I wrote to appease my readership, I'd probably be betraying my personal code as a writer who tries to find or invent some interesting new twists to write, by writing only canon or popular pairings.

Otherwise, probably due to my reluctance to write canon or popular pairings, there don't seem to be many people who share my particular tastes, and I usually don't get more than a handful of reviewers on any of my works. When I do, it's mainly compliments or requests to update soon. But like I said, for a lot of my writing, feedback is very scarce beyond maybe the odd favorite or follow. I do love hearing from my readers though. I won't change a story just because the readers seem to "want it," but if they point out ways I can improve upon my writing then I'm willing to make adjustments.

17. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    For me, it's a mix of both. Obviously, I get immense joy out of seeing other people read and enjoy the stories that I have written. But on the other hand, I mainly write to get all the ideas out of my head and on paper. It's a double-edged blade, and I really should write more often, because my mind is just filled with creative flows which I need to dispose of somehow.