1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Who was your starter in Gen 4 (Platinum, Diamond Pearl)

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Legend Luxray, Apr 17, 2015.

Tags:
?

What is the best starter Pokemon

1. Chimchar

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Turtwig

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Piplup

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legend Luxray

Legend Luxray Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.2
    Gen 4 was the generation that added better graphics to the Pokémon franchise, added new technology like the Poketech , and the ridiculousness Psyduck part, ohhh the nostalgia. But there was one Pokémon you got to begin your newest journey through the Sinnoh region, and I want to know what it was.

For me Turtwig was my starter Pokémon, and first Pokémon ever as I just started the series. Turtwig was awesome and I named it (well actually my friend named it for me, as I didn't know how to spell) BLASTOID, I think I was aiming for Blastoise because it looked like a turtle XD. Anyways, we shared the close bond, and it became my 1st Pokémon to reach Lv. 100. Sadly due to the new Pokémon games, I have lost the legendary BLASTOID, but he shall live in my heart forever.

2. Toilet

Toilet Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    My first actual starter was Turtwig. I was a noob, and didn't realise you could switch outside of battle. That is why it was level 74, when I was at Spear Pillar. Good times.
    I then restarted, and picked Turtwig again. Instead of A bashing, I read everything and saw Dawn say "If you picked PIPLUP, we would have the same Pokémon! Not that it matters though..." or something like that. So... I restarted and picked Piplup. And hated it.

Now, when I play through Platinum, I always pick either Turtwig or Chimchar, seeing as Chimchar is my favourite starter of all time, and Turtwig is a tank.

3. Riobhain

Riobhain PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽31.3
    I picked Piplup. Empoleon is one of my favorite Pokémon (actually, second favorite after Smeargle), and the option to get it so early on in-game is obviously one I'd take.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ronman5

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.7
    At first me being a water type lover choosed Piplup and loved it but that was before I trained teams so I had a level 82 Empoleon :) but besides that point it is a huge tank, I used it from Pokémon Battle Rev, to in game. IN platinum I decided to try Infernape and found a great Mixed Special attacker/attacker with pretty borderline even stats in speed, spa and attack making him be what you want him to be... too bad my favorite fighting type lucario is in this game cause I woulda said Inferna was the best :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Celly

Celly Bug Catcher

Legend
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3.7
    The starter I started with for Gen. 4 was Piplup, and I have to admit that I loved using it. But I think Chimchar and it's evolutionary line will always be my favorite from D/P/PL. I never used Turtwig, as I didn't find it really appealing, as opposed to the others.

6. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I got a chimchar. I was actually very lucky because it was a female. But sadly, my platinum game disappeared two years ago. T-T

7. Synerjee

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    It's either Piplup of Chimchar for me. Piplup is a popular pick thanks to its good special attack, bulky defences and decent movepool. Chimchar also gets my vote because it's a pretty strong and fast physical and special attacker, as well as you can only catch one other Fire-type in the wild iirc, which is Ponyta - not the best Fire-type out there imo. I think I could actually like and use Turtwig as it is part Ground-type, but I've not used it before because of its part Grass-type. I don't like using Grass-types that much.

8. J.J. Knight

J.J. Knight IMΔGINE|DREΔM|CREΔTE

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    The first one I used was Chimchar before using all three.

9. BetterThanThatOtherHydra

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Chimchar is eh. Turtwig is pretty cool. But let's get real for a moment and talk PIPLUP.

PIPLUP is a freaking PENGUIN. PENGUINS are AWESOME. They PECK STUFF, they WRECK STUFF, FIGHT ROUGH, and you'll soon have HAD ENOUGH. PIPLUP is also a WATER TYPE. WATER TYPES kick major fanny in D/P/Pt, as they can SURF, SWEEP, AND WALL IT ALL. He evolves into a WATER/STEEL TYPE, EMPOLEON, one of the BEST DEFENSIVELY TYPED Pokémon AROUND. He is also a KING PENGUIN. THE GREATNESS IS UNREAL.

Also he's really cute o3o

10. eclipse35

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    @[member="BetterThanThatOtherHydra"] heh, wow. Nice uh argument there. :)

When I got a copy of the game, I chose Chimchar, because Infernape is a frickin' flaming ninja monkey. Also, Close Combat wrecks everything.

Celly likes this.
  11. Ultimate_Tobuscus_Fan

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.0
    Hey gais :3

I chose Turtwig at first, when I got Platinum one awesome Christmas. It was the first Pokémon game I ever got, and I had a hard time deciding which starter to pick... but eventually, I had to pick the tortoise (I <3 tortoises). At first, I actually didn't know that the Pokémon you had in your party weren't the only ones you could have XD I thought I had to release my Starly to make room for Shinx, lol. Ah, the memories. I still have my Torterra, and it remains one if my all time favourite Pokémon!

When I played Diamond, I picked Piplup, because I'd seen Empoleon and I was like "Whoooaaaaahh!". Again I still have that Empoleon, along with an awesome Azelf <3

When I played Pearl, I chose Chimchar, of course; I wasn't gonna pick one I'd used already! But it's still a Monferno, even though I'm almost at the Seventh or Eighth gym - I'm just stuck and I can't get to the gym.

12. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Piplup! ♥ It's very cute and has an extremely unique typing, especially for a starter.. was one of my most reliable team members. Never was a fan of Infernape and Torterra took me many, many years to warm up to so I've yet to give them a chance. Cute water penguin all the way. :D

13. Pokeman

Pokeman GERMAN SCIENCE IS ZHE FINEST IN ZHE WORLD

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I always usually go with fire for my first shot, (except for 5th and 6th gen. they were ew.) so Chimchar was my first choice. I remember giving him some terrible, crappy nickname, but he turned to be pretty reliable, so that's good.

14. Shiran

Shiran School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽22.0
    When I first played, I played Pearl (which belonged to my sister) and chose Piplup because it was cute and Dawn from the anime had one.
    I got Diamond a few months later and chose Chimchar just to see what it was like.
    Now I'm replaying Diamond and chose Piplup again.

I don't really like playing with grass Pokémon too much, so I'll probably never choose a grass starter. ^^;

15. ⑨ニコ〜ニコ

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I started with Pochama/Piplup, because it was so cute~ I really like penguins so I am kind of biased in my choice lol. But what made me really love the little guy was when he was in the show, Hikari's Pochama was too adorable~

16. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    I had a Chimchar on my first playthrough, but on my second playthrough, I had a Piplup.
    I should get a Turtwig sooner or later.

17. Heavenly

Heavenly Just Smile!

PokéPoints:
    ₽83.2
    My starter in generation IV was probably the fairly generic but still close to my heart Piplup. Still being fairly young when this came out and not completely understanding how typing works, my mind instantly thought: "A penguin!". Also, by the time I was able to get my copy of Diamond, my friend had a DS Action Replay, so he had the three starters fully evolved. Seeing the final evolution of Piplup was instantly enough to seal the deal.

Empoleon / Piplup is still really close to me to this day, as it was my first Level 100 (I believe so, I found my old LeafGreen with a level 100 Ninetales), and it brings me a lot of good memories. Also, it was one of those times where by using Empoleon, I learned that I had to use other Pokémon to beat higher level trainers. With having Empoleon around, that was a pretty easy feat, so I will never forget what it has done for me on a personal level.

18. Zeta

Zeta School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Ah Gen IV, you were slow, slightly drawn out, lacking in certain Pokémon types *coughfirecough* and you made god a goat with a name that's pronounced differently by everyone, but you were amazing and this was partly because of the awesomeness that was, and still is, Turtwig. I'm not entirely sure why I chose Turtwig over Piplup and Chimchar, but I think it was partly to do with how bland the other starters looked. It's thanks to Turtwig also that I usually always pick the grass type in Pokémon, as that nostalgia of my Powerplant (My nickname for my Turtwig) directed me towards Bulbasaur, Treecko, Snivy and Chespin (Not it didn't happen with Chikorita though strangely enough).

19. Thunder

Thunder The Alolan Archer

PokéPoints:
    ₽88.1
    Do we even need a topic about this? Chimchar obviously!(Just joking,it's a great topic)

Chimchar has this cute and cuddly vibe but at the same time it's a feisty fighter and it is a really good friend,you may think I'm referring to the anime but in general he's just a great starter!

Chimchar evolves into Monferno,it becomes an amazing fighter and it becomes much more stronger.

Infernape,all I have to say is...A FIGHTER MONKEY ON FIRE!

20. GlaceonSilver

PokéPoints:
    ₽621.6
    I chose Piplup in my first run of Pearl. Penguins are easily one of the cooler animals in the world. Seeing a penguin based Pokémon made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Prinplup always seemed kind've meh to me, and I'm surprised that Prinplup was'nt water/ice type. Now Empoleon, This thing is just spectacular. Everything about him, the design, the typing, the moves, I just love it. Once again, I'm surprised he wasn't water/ice, but having steel instead was a very interesting choice that I'm glad was decided on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.