1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Why is Team Rocket Returning? [Leak Discussion + Speculation]

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Pixel, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    WARNING: This thread may contain spoilers for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, if the theory discussed ends up being true. Reader's disgression is advised.

So, for those of you who are wondering why Team Rocket is seemingly making their second comeback in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, boy do I have something to share with you.

A while back, some internet rumours began spreading about content in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Now, I won't share all the details, just what's relevant here. In the leak, it was stated that:
    • A “returning” Team will take over the Aether Paradise and steal Lillie’s Cosmog/Cosmoem
    • In order to secure the building more executives and team members will be brought in (possibly from another dimension) as you progress
    Now, even before this new reveal of Team Rocket, the "returning Team" was speculated to be Team Rocket under a new name, which people have been calling "Team RR", or "Rainbow Rocket". I wasn't able to find the reasoning behind this, but I believe it comes from combining Team Rocket and Project Rainbow, which is what Pokémon Sun and Moon were known as internally. This seems to line up with two pieces of evidence we can see from the Ultra Sun download card that appeared online not long ago.

[​IMG]

If we look at this image of the Pokémon Ultra Sun download card that I've edited, we can see the two Team Rocket hints hidden within in. (The Ultra Moon card also has these hints, but the right side is cut off in the image and you can't see the focal point of the hint in it.)

The first hint is obvious, in the bottom-left, with a splash-screen of a battle starting against a female Rocket grunt. In the image, we can also see that there is a rainbow hue in the background, which solidifies the "Rainbow Rocket" connection.

Over to the middle-right is where the bigger clue lies - a screenshot of the player standing in front of a large black building with a rainbow symbol on the front. Even though the symbol is being covered by Decidueye's wing, it is very clearly a rainbow-coloured Team Rocket R. This seems to be the building that needs to be secured, according to the leaks.

Now, what does this all mean? Well, the popular theory going around is that Team Rocket has reformed in the Alola region, where they work in the shadows to track down Cosmog/Cosmoem, a Pokemom capable of opening Ultra Wormholes. They successfully capture Cosmog/Cosmoem, and when the threat of the player arrives, (who Giovanni knows should not be taken lightly from his experience in the Gen I games) they use it to bring the evil team leaders from other regions into Alola. But they're not just your normal team leaders - they're from alternate timelines where they were able to triumph over the player, and as such are much more power-crazy. An alternate version of this theory keeps everything above the same, except the evil team leaders are just their normal selves, possibly from a timeline where the player doesn't exist, or from the timelines we know in the games, but at a point before the player began ruining their plans.

"But Pixel," I hear you cry in agony as you shake your electronic device wildly with your rapid typing, "these are just leaks. How can we know if this is real!?"

Well, for my final point on why I think this leak is very likely to be true, the person who leaked it is the same person who leaked the designs of Decidueye, Incineroar, and Primarina, months before their official reveal. If that's not a sign that this guy knows what he's doing, I don't know what is. Note that this person was told to stop leaking by the Pokémon Company after the first infraction, but this leak was tweeted out by this person's friends, who he'd told instead of leaking outright.

So, what do you think about these leaks? Please note that everything I've said here is pure speculation based on what we have and what we've been told.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    I feel like they'll be more of a post game thing because if the URS are also an evil team then we'll end up having four villains in the main story

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    This is a valid point, and has been brought up to argue against this theory before. However, there is a counter to this in the form of a screenshot that was included with the leaks. In it, we see the player, Lillie, Lusamine, Guzma, and Phyco (URS) all standing together at the Altar of the Sunne/Moone. This seems to be from the same point in the game where Guzma states "Maybe when you bring out the best in others, it helps you find the best in yourself, too, huh?", as seen in the trailer "Darkness Approaches the Alola Region". Since the Japanese version of this trailer words Guzma's line a bit differently, with something along the lines of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", it is believed that, although Team Skull and the Aether Foundation are still evil teams to begin with, they team up with the player and the URS, in order to take down a larger threat, which could be Rainbow Rocket.

4. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I was opposed to the idea of more Kanto in my games, but I'm really digging the whole "this is the alt timeline where all the villains won against the protag" theory! Maybe this can make way for some other characters to appear, but I'm setting my hopes low for that.

If this is just blatant Gen1 pandering then boo.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    ... What.

This is me -> :wooper: (except frowning instead of smiling)

6. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    This looks super cool, especially the pulling victorious executives from other dimensions. I am a little concerned that doing this as part of the main storyline might glut up the game's climax, which would be unfortunate and would take the thunder from the Alolan villains.

7. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I honestly think they are just two guys cosplaying. Maybe they are just special NPC's you can talk to when the game is over? I could be wrong.

8. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I think they'll have a pretty big role; considering that Team Rocket's the very first evil team in existence. I have a feeling they will be opposed with the Ultra Recon Squad and would be a bit more inclined to taking over their work; wanting to use Necrozma for their own purposes. I think I'm thinking this way because of Team Rocket's motives in the Unova anime, although the anime doesn't seem to be relevant to the games, except for that Ash-Greninja and the Pikachu with the Ash hats, which I think are adorable!

9. Uber-Dan

Uber-Dan PKMN Breeder

Rayquaza Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽150.7
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★
    I'm betting they'll be connected to how you will be able to fine Mewtwo via Ultra Wormhole.

10. Skullbash

Skullbash I will become the Pirate King

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,895.3
    GS Ball ★★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I have a feeling there will be small areas in other regions that can be visited via wormhole

11. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I really hope this isn't just more Gen I pandering... I'm really, really sick of Kanto.

12. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    If this is true, then man, that's pretty awesome. Which of the evil leaders is the most corrupted, which is the worst, what happened to the hero in the other world? So many questions, so little time.
    But the most important part of all, one you may have skimmed over, I shall restate now. Giovanni doesn't underestimate the hero anymore. I'll state that one more time.
    GIOVANNI
    DOESN'T
    UNDERESTIMATE
    THE
    HERO
    ANYMORE.

Do you know what this means? It means a real challenge. It means no more 'what a kid' jokes. It means what we've always wanted.
    #MissingNo

13. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Alright so, from what I've seen, it seems like Team Rainbow Rocket is a culmination of every evil organisation so far. Two possible explanations:

- After Team Rocket disbanded, Giovanni has been traveling to every region, recruiting the evil leaders for his grand plan
    - The USUM timeline is one where Team Rocket never failed or disbanded, Giovanni succeeded and created a super team

So Giovanni would act like the highest rank of order in the team, and the other team leaders are right below him. One thing that might prove me wrong though, all the leaders are still carrying their own team emblems, not the Rainbow Rocket symbol. So they might still be independent foes.

In addition to that, the art shows that Faba is now the new Aether leader, meaning Lusamine probably isn't part of it anymore, or at least no longer in charge.

On the topic of Team Skull, they may or may not still be existing. Guzma is shown without his Team Skull emblem necklace, so he doesn't seem to be their leader anymore. If Team Skull still exists, they weren't invited to Giovanni's super mega ultra bad guys gathering :(

14. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Maybe, or perhaps he branched out from the Aether Foundation and it's a separate group that he's leading now.