1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Wobbuffet; would you ever use him?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Noctis, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctis

Noctis *this message has been removed*

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Wobbuffet has one the smallest move pools in the game, but if used correctly he can be a detrimental force to be reckoned with. Because of his small move pool, a lot of competitive battlers are able to predict what to do when they are against a Wobbuffet which could, in turn, cost you greatly.

So tell me CD crew, would you ever use Wobbuffet for competitive play?
    Why or why not?

[3D='wobbuffet']
    Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
    EVs: 28 HP / 228 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Counter
    - Mirror Coat
    - Encore
    - Safeguard

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    Nah, the risk isn't worth the reward in most cases. If your opponent has any moves to set up on you, it could potentially set your own self up for a sweep. Never used Wobbuffet (unless I'm forced to in Challenge Cup), and I don't have any plans on ever using it.

3. Martsian

Martsian Gym leader

PokéPoints:
    ₽72.8
    Well, wobbuffet is an excellent Pokémon and i can explain the reason! Well, most of the times, when a Pokémon is against a wobbuffet, it will use a supporting move, like roost! Then wobbuffet will encore this pok and switch out to something that will set up on the previous mon! This is the strategy for wobbuffet! Of course if the previous Pokémon hits, there is no problem because you encore it and then counter/mirror coat! Wobbuffet is a nice pok to use but it's also quite hard to use! If you learn how to use it properly you will understand the true power of this mon! I love it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    You have never faced my Wobbu-god, then.

Really though, Wobbuffet is my favorite Pokémon--it's extremely defensive, and one of the best supporting Pokémon there is. Shadow Tag forces Pokémon to stay in, Encore deals with setups, and Safeguard prevents team members from getting status. It's awesome.

5. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Wobbuffett is an amazing Pokémon if you bring him in battle at the right time. Encore + Shadow Tag is a brutal combo that can ruin your opponent and provide an opportunity for you to set up a sweep and win the battle. I used to use a Wobbuffett in monotype for gen 5 when the custap berry was around. With the custap berry, destiny bond gets a priority of +1, letting Wobbuffett get a free KO unless its another priority move. Aside Encore and Destiny Bond, if you are good at predicting and know how to build your wobbuffett, Mirror Coat and Counter can deal massive damage due to its high amount of HP, which is another perk. Although he is pretty risky to use overall, wobbuffett is still a force to be reckoned with.

6. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    I've never used him in battle, and have no plans to. He's nice only for Destiny Bond in my opinion.

7. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I tried to use him outside competitive battling and I couldn't work it at all. So nope.

8. Nauris

Nauris The King of Konchus

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I don't really like using Wobbuffet, since it's pretty much an one trick pony, you only have few sets which all function in almost exact same way, while each of them has their niche. Tickle can be used to lower both Attack and Defense of Pokémon, which can be used with Pokémon that knows Pursuit (Tyranitar for example), Safeguard to protect from status, and Destiny Bond for the 1 for 1. Encore is pretty much a mandatory along with Counter and Magic Coat. There's also Splash and Charm, but Splash should only be used for comical value, and Charm is pretty much outclassed by Tickle.

It's still a threat you have to keep in mind, though most teams can handle Wobbuffet in one way or another, but sometimes requires to sacrifice one of your Pokémon to take it down, due to it's massive HP.

9. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Yes I do. The reason why I use it often is because of it's countering moves and Shadow Tag.

It has a lot of HP which means a Pokémon chips off a little bit of its HP chances are it's going to be gone by the next turn thanks to the counters. Also I like how the counters work against moves like U-Turn and Volt Swtich. The only problem is the typing of the moves (Mirror Coat cant hit Dark Pokémon and Counter cant hit Ghost Pokémon.)

The only reason why I wouldn't use it is because of Knock Off, and Talonflame.

10. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Well, Wobbuffet actually survives Knock Off quite often:
    • 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 28 HP / 228 Def Wobbuffet: 398-470 (75.3 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252 Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 28 HP / 228 Def Wobbuffet: 350-414 (66.2 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And Talonflame can't do a ton of damage to Wobbuffet right off the bat unless prior setup was made, and it still risks being taken out.

11. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Even more reason for me to use Wobbuffet. Thanks, I never actually bothered to check the calculator before.

That I didn't know either. I remember early back in X and Y Talonflame did a chunk of damage no matter what Pokémon was hit by it's attacks. Looks like I haven't been paying too much attention at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.