1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Worksona

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Azazel, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Do you guys have a certain "persona" you adopt at work? Or even just at a public place?

Like no one will ever know how many fictional animated characters I call my husband and that's how it'll stay.

2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I don't really think of myself as having different "persona" as such; I am nothing more or less than myself, after all. I just show more or less of myself depending upon the circumstances. People often say they have different masks for different situations, but I think the truth is more that people only have one mask, and what people see depends on what they decide to show of it. You can't be anyone else, after all. Maybe it's a game of semantics, but accusations of being two-faced in the past have gotten me to thinking from time to time just how much truth there could be to that.

Anyways. At work I am actually more relaxed than I am at home. I don't share too much detail about my life, but I am comfortable with not hiding the fact that I have severe anxiety, something I rarely talk about at home because I don't appreciate being accused of putting it on and faking it, and rarely talk about online because I don't want people worrying about me...or worse, prying. Not worrying about it actually makes it easier to deal with. I'm generally more sociable, although I am generally quite reserved in what I say and how I act.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    In work environments, I’m generally a quiet and reserved person. Outside of work environments, you see that I actually have a personality. I’m not really sure why I do this, but I just “hide” my personality in school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    Based off of my research into the subject, I'd say that what you've described here is actually how personas work. They're basically just the different aspects of ourselves that we do or don't show off in certain social circumstances, which can give different people different ideas of who we are and aren't necessarily something that we consciously do. In fact, I'd say that are personas are effected by the other people's viewpoints just as much as how we act

Wow, that was more than I meant to say about that. Anyway, I'd say that I probably come off as being even more reserved and quite at work or school than I do in other situations. Other than that, I'm not really sure how I present myself differently than 'normal'.

5. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I usually get stiff as a board when I’m in public. Usually out of fear of someone mocking me for my personality.

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm mostly the same as I am online as I am in workplaces, except dialed down a bit. I still make dad-jokes, I still embrace that I'm a member of nerd culture, I still do my best to passively lift people and be positive. If there is any difference, it might be that I speak a bit less, but that's because I literally get tired of talking. I care, but if someone says to me "Hi, how are you?" and all I say in reply is "Yo." it's because I spent 40% of my energy on just that one syllable.

Anyone who would mock your personality (or anyone's, for that matter) is straight garbage. If that ever does happen to you, then just remind yourself that that person is a person who doesn't matter, and go back to being however you want to be in your most self-comfortable way. Really, it will feel better.

SyWry likes this.