1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Writers Block!

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by SyWry, Jul 26, 2018.

1. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Similar to the Art Block thread but for writers. Have you ever had writers block? If so, for how long. What did you do, if anything, to get yourself out of your writers block? Is your writer blocks any different from your art blocks? If so, what's the difference?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Well, the main about writers block, for me at least, is thinking way too far ahead. You create these glorious moment in your head about fights or friendship or character development and many more but, unfortunatley, these events are still far from where you are in the current time so writing the middle gets you bored and seems like it take for ever. This, for me, is my biggest problem when it comes to writing fics. I recommend not think too far ahead or else your anxiousness to get to that part will stop you from writing what you need to write.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I pretty much always have writers block. I've found the best way to overcome it is to just write, even if you think what you're writing is terrible. The longer I don't write, the worse the block gets, so it's best to try and keep it up.

Vaquero likes this.
  4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    My worst blocks come in one main variety: what the heck happens next. Not that I'm bored or I don't know what my endgame is, but what happens next? It's hit me for months at a time before, but lately I'm more okay with just abandoning a project when block sticks around too long.

What I do lately to get around it is this: I'll highlight my entire story (or the past few paragraphs that I do like) in gray, and write one potential future timeline, like what if the detective didn't show up even though I wanted him to, I'll recolor the text all in one color. Then I'll write a different timeline, like what if the detective did show up, but was severely beaten, and recolor all of that a different color. I'll also write another one, what if someone who claims to be the detective's assistant shows up, and I'll recolor that timeline a different color. Most of these alternate timeline possibilities are going to suck, but eventually one won't. When I'm sure I found one that I like or don't hate, I delete all the others and proceed with that one, repeating as needed.

5. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,957.4
    I usually just try to do something else until it passes over and inspiration returns. It's not that effective, though. Sometimes I just try to write through the writer's block, but its a slow process and I'm never satisfied with what I end up with.

6. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    My writer's block is usually caused by the horrible sense of "all I'm writing is filler, this doesn't advance the characters or the plot, what am I doing." Generally, my only solution is to keep on through it - or stop writing it entirely. The former usually happens during NaNoWriMo, when I have to keep writing (it's why I love the program so much!). The latter happens anytime else, or when I get distracted by a new project.

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    My writers blocks are weirdly simple for other writers, but harder for me. Usually when I write a story, I can easily weave the tale into (what I think) is the most logical set of circumstances. Sometimes I do leave the realm of logic at the door. I always know what to write next, but I have no idea what its leading to. I don't have an endgame. This can lead me to a huge slump where I can't think that far ahead. Even though I have really great and fun ideas, the endgame isn't one of them. Not to mention that I have really high standards for writing that I can never meet. Both of these factors make me really dislike a project despite how much I love the ideas and concepts I want to implement.

I generally get over them by brainstorming ideas and writing/editing. May sound simple but its really hard for me to brainstorm, my mind just doesn't work like that, but it gives me the ending I'm striving for. As for hating a project due to my high standards, I can just start editing. Since I have such high standards for my work, I can more easily rip into what I've written and turn it into the best work I can make at my current skill level. Have to admit, I'm still rather novice at writing and it only makes my high standards seem unreachable, but as long as I persist, I can make it through these tough times to make (hopefully) beautiful work.

8. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Wow, I feel this on a spiritual level. My writers block comes in the form of not writing at all, most times. Most of the time, this is just due to a lack of motivation and/or inspiration. With nearly all of my stories I start writing, and I usually get to a decent point before just... stopping. Mostly because I haven't got to a certain part I want to write out yet and I'm just like, "are we there yet?" basically. So then I get bored, and I fall off it. It's a terrible habit of mine, one that I'm trying to break.

9. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Huh, well I’m glad I was able to really speak to your soul I guess... It could also be that I’m just a terrible writer who somehow is a niche to some but eh...

10. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I've been in a bit of a slump lately. Probably just tired from the Summer Scramble I guess.

I've rewritten this most recent chapter probably like 3 times now...