1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Writers, what program do you use?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Sheep, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I'm sure a big bulk of people use Microsoft Word, but there are plenty of other programs out there to write and store your works. I know some people who write directly in the ff.net and ao3 story manager/editor, for example. As a Mac user, I personally use Pages since it comes with the OS.

What program do you all use? ( ¨̮ )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I actually used Word Notepad for quite a while. I use Google Docs now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Hoodster225 likes this.
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I used to use Microsoft Word frequently, as it would always be my go-to. Its ease of use and general ubiquity across systems made it an ideal choice. I would never use Google Docs because, while it looks nice, it's very stripped-down and is missing a lot of features that Word has which would be very useful.

However, I don't use Word nearly as often anymore - I've migrated to Notepad. Part of that is that I write short stories exclusively now, and part of that is because the file size is much smaller, easily about a third of the size of a .doc with the same amount of text. It's not that .doc files are big (because they aren't); it's just that .txt files are very small. Sometimes I'll migrate to Word if I need to use a text editor that uses bold and italics seriously, but that doesn't happen all too often. It is a resource, though.

I don't think that Notepad is ideal for writing longer works (because it doesn't format and thus it can be hard to keep track of or notes on certain things), but I don't have that problem right now.

4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I mostly use word, but I always save my stuff to google drive just in case. Sometimes if I'm out of the house and I have access to a computer, I'll work on my writing in a google doc since I have access to it through google drive. I did that occasionally in college. There was this one computer lab that no one ever used at night and sometimes my dorm would get too noisy, so I'd walk to the lab and write in a google doc.

5. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    i use google docs! i can access it from p much anywhere, and it’s easy to use :) i used to use word, but i don’t really like it >< haven’t tried others though, maybe i should :o

6. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I use OpenOffice due to practicality needs. My school requires .doc/docx, .odt, and a couple other file-types as I need to properly format my papers with the required headers/footers and other things necessary for college-level work, so using Notepad or a similar other program is quite inadequate.

7. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I use microsoft word, but only because it has a decent spell check. I also keep a pen drive on me so I can write during my breaks at work. I prefer the pen drive over online storage systems because internet access isn’t always guarenteed on a computer. My one laptop is purposely setup so it can’t access the internet. Anyway, if I’m stuck writing on my tablet, then I write word and email it to myself from which I can then put on a pen drive. This is done on one of the computers at work during my breaks. If anyone’s curious, I work at a library.

8. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I use google docs, mostly so if my computer crashes or something, my work is automatically saved. But when I want to publish works I use OpenOffice.

9. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    I usually use Microsoft Word, but sometimes I use Google Docs, cause it's easier to save, but mostly Word cause I can use it offline.

10. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,944.4
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Yeah I use Microsoft Word, it came free with my laptop so when the trial period expired I of course bought it since I'd gotten use to it by then. Had to buy it with the English pack tho instead of my native language which weren't cheap but so worth it. I have a USB pen for making backups in case something happens, thankfully I'd never had to use it to restore stuff but is nice to have nonetheless.

11. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I use Google Docs since most of my computers I use (home laptop, school laptop, desktop) run Google Chrome and I can get the files from anywhere. An added thing when I'm writing Pokémon fanfics: the program actually "catches on" to what you're writing and will autocorrect Pokémon names! That feature is pretty cool. And the fact that the keyboards I'm used to are on devices that solely run Chrome and I make tons of mistakes with my desktop keyboard >.>

For works I actually publish, I use the built-in doc editor and writer on fanfiction.net's interface. Not as cool as Google, but it lets me publish stuff without the copypaste effort.

12. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I use Google Docs mainly. I used to use Word, but our program isn't very good - it's very slow, crashes easily, and I much prefer being able to a) access my work from anywhere and b) work offline from any device. Plus, typing things up on Google Docs means I don't have to go through all the trouble of saving it on my computer.

13. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    Google Docs.

14. Hoodster225

Yung flexer
    (Machop)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽119.5
    Same here! Google Docs for the win

Vigilance likes this.
  15. AshFan23

AshFan23 Bug Catcher

Billy
    (Lotad)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽0.1
    I use Word myself, but I'm think of using google Docs for Script like Documents.

16. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,621.0
    I use a variety, from OpenOffice because it's free for my laptop, Microsoft Word because I'm used to it, and Google Docs because it's really convenient. I also use Fanfiction.net with OpenOffice because Fanfiction.net accepts OpenOffice the best.

17. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I use Microsoft Word. I have a really bad time with grammar and spelling so I need the extra handicap that word gives. Further more, word is something private and I can control. I keep all my personal word files on a separate USB drive so if something happens to my computer, all my documents are safe. (or at least the ones I care about)

18. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I use Word. It gives me everything I need for writing and I can use it offline with both my laptop and desktop.

19. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I mostly use Google Docs as I'm more adjusted to Chrome based keyboards more than MS keyboards. The stuff I do on GDocs can transfer to other computers, so hooray for working on things anywhere GDocs can run!!

20. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Mostly Use Microsoft Word( Onedrive For Multi-Device),But Sometime I Use Sta.sh Writer.