1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Writing A Story, step by step guid.

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by Arkilos, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Arkilos

Arkilos School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.8

How to write, Step by step guid.

Arkilos: hello! It's been a long time since I have published anything here, and I'm sorry about that. I figured I would let Ash, and my OC, Ashly (Princess Helen) do a short step by step tutorial.

Just because I'm giving this tutorial doesn't mean I am great writer, And we might very well mess something

Ashly: I can't believe I was pulled out of retirment for this. :-(

Ash: I was going to go off on nice cruise, not end up back here.

Arkilos: Oy, You two aren't old enough for retirement! And I still have planes for the both of ya, so don't get any bright ideas.

Ashly: I'm over a thousand years old, I'd like to think I'm old enough to retire peacefully.

Ash: didn't you die when you where eleven.

Ashly: that's besides the point. :-(

Arkilos: *sigh* can we just get on with this.

Though a word of warning before we start. Wrighting is far from easy, never assume that it will be a quick stroll around the block. You will find road blocks and other hindrances along the way. Wether you are writing your own story or a FanFiction, you will always find difficulties.

Now let's get started

Step- 1

R and D

Arkilos: The fist step to writing a story, is knowing what you want to write about. I know what you guy's are thinking.

"More homework, I get enough of that from school!"

Trust me when I say that it will help you in the long run.

Ash: remember to learn more about the concepts and ideas you want use, it's important that you have an understanding of what your writing or you'll find your self overwhelmed or confused.

Ashley: Doing some research might help you get some new ideas wouldn't have thought of before, so before you get started take a note book and pencil and read a book or search the internet for information. ;-)

Step- 2
    Rough draft

Arkilos: your next step is working on a rough draft.

Asley: you don't need to worry about making it look pretty or detailed, just focus on getting the basic plot line down.

Ash: details will start coming in overtime, as you work to mold your rough draft to somthing resembling a finalized chapter. To see something rushed just look at Ashly. :-)...

Ashly: KETCHUM! ... I have a mallet.. that happens to have your name on it!

Ash: ... :-( oh no!
    *Starts inching away*

Ashly: get back here!

Arkilod: *watches Ashly chase Ash around* Any way... let's move on.

Step- 2.5
    Characters

Arkilos: now that we have your ideas and concepts and a basic plot line, you will want characters to go with them . Remember the more developed the character is the better He/she will turn out. And the more invested the reader wil be in the story.

More importantly though your charcters have to compliment and play a part in your overall story line.

I'll give Ashley for example. Ashly can you stop trying to kill Ash for a minute and get over here.

Ashly: fine... but I will so kill Ash for that comment.

Arkilos, well now is your chance to prove him wrong.

Every character has a backstory.

Ashly, howabout telling the readers a quick version of your backstory (the long version is lost I'm afraid.)

Ashly: sure, I was born in the Principality of Rotta. Towards of the end Guardian wars.

I lived for eleven years, then the wars came to Rotta, my home had remained impartial during that time, not siding with any of the warring faction. However 6 armies converge at Rotta, and the sige started.

I tried fleeing with my sister, she survied, however I died, my spiret resting in my sister, I went from descendent to descendent, until I finale found myself with in Ash.

That's sll I'm going to give, my life isn't an open book you know, unlike some one who seems to think otherwise. *eyes turn to Ash.*

Arkilos: yes well. As you can tell the more indebted your character is, the more likable he or she becomes.

Step- 3
    Finalising your story.

Ash: *pantning* are we done yet?

Ashly: for now *gives Ash a glare*, any way, it's really easy to assume you are ready to publish when you have completed your rough draft.

Arkilos: this is far from the case, you will want to go through and reread your story to find any errors or changes you might want to make.

Ash: don't be afraid to ask for help, even professional authors who write for a living have editors who help them out (Two set's of eyes is better than one) and having some one with different view point can help enhance your story futher

Step- 4
    Publishing

Arkilos: There are a multitude of websites to publish your work to if you so choose.

Fan Fiction.Net or even right here on lake valor. Among meany other websites

Both FF.net and lake valor provide the opportunity to edit your work before releasing it to the public eye. So take your time and reread your to make sure that you have gotten at least most of the errors out of the story.

Step- 5
    Reviews

Ashly: When reviews start coming in not all of them are going to be positive, some might hate your work for the sake of hating.

However, There are others though that ginualy want to help you, by pointing out errors and ways you can improve your writing by living advise, don't be afraid to take that advise, listen to your reviews, however, more importantly, have fun. In the end, that is what writing is about.

You having fun!

Ash: ya... that is what it's all about you having fun as a author. Yes it will be stressful at times, heck more likly than not you will want to give up before it's over, but you guys know what I say.

"It's not over, till it's over!"

Ashly: he might be an idiot, but Ash is right, just becouse something looks bad at the time doesn't mean that it will turn out that way.

Arkilos: just remember, even though we provided this step by step guid, there is no single correct way of writing. Every one has there own unique style of writing. And as we have already mentioned, it's about having fun.

So I hope you enjoy. :-)

If any experienced writers find this feel free to add your own information to this. I'm only one person with two fictinal characters, possible one if Ashly has her way. I hope you enjoyed.

Arkislos

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    Black Glasses ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Soda Pop ★Oran Berry ★★
    I saw, like fifteen spelling mistakes in this whole guide.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Arkilos

Arkilos School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.8
    Lol. I
    realize that there is likly alot of spelling mistakes (Happens when you try multi taskin.) It doesn't help that my editor Marth and I are somewhat drifted in our own directions, so no editor to help me out on that front.

I'll try my best to go through and get the errors out, but I can't gurentee I'll get them all.

4. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    I can see a few errors in that comment. It's okay though, it's not really that important and i understand.

5. Arkilos

Arkilos School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.8
    curse my dyslexia, anyway, Hopefully the errors in the main text are mostly gone. Let me know if you find any more.

6. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    I assume having dyslexia is very hard when you are typing or writing words. I don't think i will ever understand your problems, but i can try.
    I can see a few improvements, though. Also, what is a guid?

7. Arkilos

Arkilos School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.8
    My dyselxia acting up again that it is what a guid is, some words are harder for me to wright than others.

The font that website uses isn't actauly fraindly towards Dyslexia either. As the text will blur together since letters can look vary similar to one another.

Any way, This isn't the place to go into detail about that. And I'm sure I can change the font somewhere or bring it up somewhere else.

8. JellyBunnyBeans!

JellyBunnyBeans! PKMN Breeder

Cuti
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.3
    I'm happy to do editing for you, if you need it

9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    This is all so true. Dyslexic Writer Unite!

10. Arkilos

Arkilos School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.8
    I'd gladly take any help I can get at this point. I'm starting to consider relunching my project Legacy. (An old set of stores of mine all taking place in the same AU) perhaps I can do things a little difrently this time around.

Who knows

11. Arkilos

Arkilos School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.8
    :-)

12. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    One part that I myself would add, and this one is more for if you're writing a longer series, or an overarching storyline with multiple series/books.

Editing already published chapters.

Maybe you (the author) like how your series' overall story is turning out so far, but one of two things could be going on in your head. 1) You feel that a character interaction (or multiple character interactions) could use some changing or could be added, more to give your characters either some development, some foreshadowing into their developments, or just some more insight into their personalities as a whole. 2) You may have thought up a new sequence of future events from what you initially planned (or alternatively are drafting as you write, and have thought up new events as a whole), and feel that past events you've already written don't really fit the overarching story anymore, or could be changed for the betterment of said story.

Arkilos likes this.
  13. JellyBunnyBeans!

JellyBunnyBeans! PKMN Breeder

Cuti
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.3
    Be warned, I am no lightweight on spelling and grammar. Just send me a PM here with what you want me to look over and what you want done.
    Are there any fonts you prefer?