1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Writing romance!

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Sheep, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    How are you with writing romance scenes in a story? Do you like to write it? Is it hard for you to do it justice as far as being descriptive enough goes? Does it make you embarrassed? How often do you write romance in your stories? =)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    It makes me cringe if I'm going to be completely honest. BUT, I still am a sucker for it sometimes. I remember reading a cliche Wattpad story about a quarterback and a cheerleader once :P

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    i actually like writing shippy stuff eheH :D but i prefer hinting at romance rather than writing about romance itself eheh (if that makes sense? rip my explanation skills ><)

4. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I can't really write it, but if it's done well I like reading it - if it's a ship I like. I'm not a big fan of cliches like that which has dominated Hollywood for the past 30 years, though.

5. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    I haven't actually tried writing romance before, actually. The closest I've gotten is merely loosely hinting at the possibility that characters may be interested in each other or may become so in the present. And even then I haven't really done much.
    Romance has become an utter cliche at this point that professional writers/movie executives/whatever seem to think needs to be in every story ever, even if doesn't inprove the story in any way and especially if actually harms the story.

6. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I'm horrible at it, probably what I'm worst at in a story and it's always cheesy. I cringe so damn hard xD

7. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Not very good at it, I'm so bad at writing it and setting the mood correct is borderline hilarious.

8. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I've written a fair bit of romance in my fanfics and by god does doing so embarrass the living heck out of me. I think I'm not very good with describing this sort of stuff, but my readers say otherwise haha. I swear every fic I write has some degree of romance, whether it's just a hint that one character might have feelings for another to a full blown confession scene, I'm just a huuuuuuge sucker for idiots in love.

9. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,645.7
    I hint at romance in my fanfics, as I use Ferriswheelshipping. I also have a ship that I'm also using in Autistic Truth that I gave a hint on between Lindsey and Tyler, another OC.

10. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I haven't written romance yet (at least published it). I felt so embarrassed when I was writing it for one of my failed fanfics though. I couldn't help but cringe at every romantic moment. I'm not sure about how well I can write romance. I haven't done any since that failed fanfic and I have improved dramatically since then.

11. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I do a bit of romance writing, but it's usually background info; I think there was exactly one time when a relationship was a central part of my story. Even then, it was about a breakup, not a get-together. I really don't like writing romance, I only hint at it, I don't think I'd ever be able to write anything more serious than that. Too cringy, too sappy, and not something I would read. If I'm not willing to read it, why in the world would I write it?

12. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Usually when I read romance, whether amateur writing or professional writing, I end up rolling my eyes so hard I my optic nerves need to stretch like rubber bands to keep from snapping. Either the relationship seems to completely lack chemistry as two characters are forced by the writer to like each other, or the circumstance should all but forbid the blossoming of romance due to the stresses of the main conflict, or the involved characters are just so painfully Mary-Sue that any social interaction he/she has seems implausible to begin with.

It's because of that that I rarely write romance either. I generally try to make my writing more realistic or even mundane, and simple honest genuineness doesn't really seem to have interesting flair in reading fiction romance. I generally avoid it entirely because of this, but sometimes I'll just hint at an attraction, or stick a flirting comment into a conversation. It's the best I can do when I'm trying to avoid writing something that is such an essential human interaction.

13. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I'm not good at it (but I'm not good at writing overall so eh) but I do enjoy it.

...What am I saying? Enjoy it? I'm a hecking shiplord. It's a nice hobby to ship characters.

BraviaryScout likes this.
  14. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I've been told I write romance really well and everyone here has a good point. I love me reading a good shipping story as well.

Going the same route of that "Not EVERY main male and female character have to fall in love" and it's true. I personally like writing the type of romance where they slowly grow from being mildly attracted to head over heels for one another. While it's tempting to do the "rolling around in the sack after first date" (and it does make for an interesting love story if done right) it burns out quickly as the reader will likely go under the impression that the characters just want to get in the bedsheets.

It's a far cry from me in real life. I'm a hopeless romantic T_T

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  15. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Romance writing makes me all bubbly inside. That said, it isn’t a major aspect of my stories, more like a side story that develops here and there. Enough for readers to go, “Oh,yeah, that’s been building up for a while,” or “what is taking them so long, ask each other out already.” An issue I have with writing romance as something in of itself is that humanity doesn’t live in a vacume where the sole focus can just be on romance. A lot of things are always happening on the side that affect the flow of a relationship.

16. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I usually don't write romance in my stories. When I do, it's typically not the main focus of the story and it takes a while for the two to get together. Romance has never really been my expertise, so I usually don't focus on it much when it comes to writing.

17. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I would like to be able to write romance, but I want to be able to write it as a nice subplot, not the main focus, unless it is a story where that has to happen, like getting over a crush or something.

18. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    I like writing romanctic scenes in my stories. But not so romantic...
    I sometimes feel a bit complex but I write it anyways tho.