1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

"Yes I made it. No you weren't supposed to see it"

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by SyWry, Jul 2, 2020.

1. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    So I was thinking back on my writing history and how secretive I was with it in my youth and I was wondering if others had the same experience. Have you ever tried hiding your creative talents from others? If so, why? Also, what made you come out with your work, if anything did?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Banshee

Banshee Pokémon Professor

Gregg the Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽62.1
    I still have somewhat of a problem with showing off my talents. As much as I love writing, I tend to have improper use of grammar and spelling. So I always got super shy about showing that stuff off because of it. It's not my strong suite but I do love to create worlds and characters as well as making stories and personalities.

As for drawing; I had support during my childhood but I also had some nasty words said about my artwork. I tend to draw anime-style characters with a bit of an exaggerated design sometimes. Despite my parents loving my skills, I've been told (from outside the family) that my drawing was too immature and that no one would care about it. So it made me hide my drawing talents from everyone... (OR as harsh as these words were... "Your drawings aren't American enough" Like...wut? .-. )

Later; I went to school for art, it sort of opened my heart to showing others my drawings and designs. My parents still wholeheartedly supported me and the new friends I've made both online and in person, loved my style and gave me pointers on how to improve. I'm a lot more open now about showing off my art skills, but I still have some hangups. But I think those tend to be because I personally don't feel like I enjoy the design of the character enough to show someone. Like...it's a WIP sort of thing.

3. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Well, I'm shy when it comes to singing. Like, the only way you'd get me singing is if nearly everyone else is.

My writing? I just have no motivation to share it if I don't think I'll finish it. I mean, I'll share something if I'm asked about it, but that's it. I just don't care otherwise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I had the same problems with my early writing. I was very bad at English due to disabilities and my early works were the worst bit of English I have had the displeasure to know. It used to take days with my editor to just get through a single page. However, as I edited with my editor, I slowly got better at writing to where if everything goes right, we can go through an entire chapter in three hours. I'd suggest finding a editor who isn't judgmental and wont change your story, but is good enough at English to edit for you. Doing this for me not just improved my writing skills, but also my life skills at writing documents for work and using a computer to edit papers.
    Yeah these things happen and it saddens me to hear that you had to go through this. General people just don't understand what goes into art and they bash on your art only because its not common. Its good to hear that you have been able to find a group of people that will support your art and give you honest feed back. Not all artists have that luxury.
    Wow, you can sing? I wish I could sing even in a crowd without it sounding horrible.

5. Roman

Roman Black Belt

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽43.3
    I still hide a lot of what I do. I know I'm not horrible, but when people find out that you are an artist, they expect a certain style, and I've never once fit in that bubble. It's also something that my family has simultaneously mocked and tried to take advantage of, even now. We can't go through one distant friend's birthday (that I have never heard of) without someone demanding I make them a card.

I'm actually finding a lot more comfort in writing, and have started spending more and more time focused on it. I don't know if I will post any here, as most relate back to various ARPGs on another site, but I am looking at the possibility of doing so anyway.

6. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Somewhat actually. I used to not really parade the fact that I was decent at graphic design and art but sometimes when my friends at school needed help with a poster, I'd volunteer. Though at college, I still don't parade my skills cause I'm often a bit nervous that people will not think it's good. In general, sometimes people act as if artists/designers work isn't worth what it really is (think of when sometimes people lowball or try to get free artwork) so that's kind of why I feel a bit hesitant.

7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,631.2
    I used to not share my work (both art and writing) at all because I didn't really think that I could make anything worth sharing. I've gotten much better with that to the point where I do share most of my artwork and writing, but I've found it extremely difficult to get any feedback on anything I make, which makes it so that I still usually feel like nothing I make is worth sharing.

8. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    I highly doubt this is something that anyone here would know, but I'm actually really self-conscious about my interests unless it's with my close friends or unless it's with people I know have similar interests as I do...and this translates greatly over to my art. All of my current art is basically Pokémon fanart, and even if I said it wasn't, I feel like it still has that cartoony video game feel to it enough to the point to where people would call it weird if they weren't into video games. This mental roadblock keeps it so I rarely show any of my artwork to my classmates, or even to my closest family members.

What if one of them were to find out about my art without me showing them in the first place? Well, I don't know how I'd feel. Sometimes I get overly nervous over things that I have no right to be getting nervous over, and it might just depend on the person. I dunno, but I doubt I'll ever have to find out.

9. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I have a similar problem. I’ll show my close friends what I’m drawing, or I’ll post in the art section on here and Discord, but I’m hesitant to show my family. I feel like they might judge me if they saw, let’s say, any one of my Piers drawings.
    One time when I was drawing Nessa, my mom wanted to know what I was doing and I quickly turned of my ipad. She noticed that I turned it off and she said “What are you hiding? Let me see.” I don’t think she liked it (not because of skill, but because Nessa has a bit of a “flashy” design).

Oh, same goes for writing. I’ll share a story I wrote to my friends, but I definitely wouldn’t read my more violent stories to my family.

10. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I hide literally everything from me folks~ 'Tis annoying to keep hearing 'em swoon and say "wow, our son's so good at ___!" or ask me why I drew such stuff...

11. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    might be the only one here who says that i absolutely adore showing others my works even if they dont know the source for it (since i do a lot of fanart) since i live by sharing my passions with others and i get really REALLY excited over those things and HAVE to show someone lol

tho i have a lot of moments with the title of this thread.... theres A Ton of stuff ive drawn that ive just. never posted. mainly bc im afraid of getting harassed and bullied over a picture i made of something thats not even harmful for the record but it be like that!! i make things and never share them baby!!!