1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

You ever go through this phase?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by nduns, Nov 6, 2017.

1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Okay, one thing I think is kind of common mainly among young teens (Specifically those ages 13-15, sometimes even as early as 12) is what is known as the 'I hate everything I grew up with phase'. It's that time where people convince themselves everything they liked as kids was terrible and that they're too old for it. For the most part, I kind of avoided this when it came to certain things (I never stopped loving cartoons, for instance, though I did avoid revisiting old animated Disney films for a while), but there was one franchise I'm ashamed to admit I rejected for 4-6 years, and that's Pokémon.

The funny thing is, to this day, I know my only reason for developing a hatred toward it was because all of my friends had developed a hatred toward it and I caved into peer pressure. And the reason most of them did was because society convinced them that was how it should be.

However, somewhere in 2006, I was flipping channels and saw Pokémon on. I decided to rekindle my love of the franchise by watching a bit of it and, yeah, suddenly memories regarding why I used to love the series returned. Yeah, I definitely noticed a lot more problems with the show than I did as a kid, but I still liked it.

Though I think it was 2007 when I truly regained my love of the franchise by purchasing Pokémon Pearl. I just really wanted to experience the wonder of playing a Pokémon game again, and I couldn't believe how relaxing these games can be. The thrill of building myself a team of 6 of my own choosing, defeating the Elite 4 and traversing all of these landscapes. I decided to give gen 3 a shot because of that and, while I admittedly didn't enjoy Ruby as much, I'm still glad I gave that a shot.

So did anyone else here go through a similar phase? If so, what was it that brought you back to the series?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Honestly, I never went through this phase. Most of the stuff I liked as a kid are, well, things I still like nowadays. I suppose I'm the kind of weird person who doesn't like to change all that much despite when other people say certain things are "childish". I mean, now that I'm older I can understand the flaws of the things I like, but I still like them regardless. :/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I never really hated Pokémon... but I guess I stopped talking about my interests with the franchise sometime before middle school because Pokémon wasn't mainstream anymore or that it had a negative connotation.

But luckily I discovered the internet and other people who like Pokémon just as much as I did. So I was content with keeping Pokémon as an after school related thing that I could go online and read about or even find communities to discuss things about the games etc. I kind of did this with all of my #TypicalOtaku interests and still sort of stray away from talking about that stuff with people in person and just keep it all online.

4. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I really didn't have that, but the closest I got was "falling out" of Pokémon for a few months after ORAS came out. There was jut so little content on Pokémon around then so I just kinda left it for a bit.

5. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Yeah, like the others I never really had this phase. I’ve always liked the things I like, and I still do.

6. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Not really, but as I did struggle with major depression for a number of years I didn't have much interest in anything at all, past or present.

7. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I never fell out of it, but the year(s)? between R/S/E and D/P/Pl left me with little desire to mess with Pokémon. When D/P/Pl came out I was right back on the hype train :)

8. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    Sometime between XY and the end of last year's summer I had a dislike for the Pokémon Anime. I don't know why, but it might have been the fact that Pokémon was still on CN and the really bad shows on there were starting to appear more and more often and I didn't want anything to do with them, but the XYZ anime brought me back to it. As for the games I've always been loyal to them except when it's that painful time between completing the most recent game and waiting for news about the next game.

9. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I think there was this period of time last year that I lost interest in Pokémon. I was really into this other fandom and was liking it way more at the time. Honestly though, I grew out of it and went back to Pokémon relatively quickly. There's just something about it that keeps pulling me back :P

10. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    Nah, I haven't had this phase...yet, at least.

Well, I do watch cartoons on my computer for fun, so I doubt that this will happen to me.

Maybe it will? I don't know.

11. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Haven't really told many this, but I did get picked on in school because I was the only one who liked Pokémon. I personally didn't really go through that phase where I hated all the fandoms and obsessions when I was younger, although I'll admit that some of it was a little embarrassing.

You got some valid points that I correlate to very much. Over that time, (I think I was like 10 or 11) I did get suspended from school for hitting another student because he said that Pokémon sucks or something like that. I had a hard time accepting that other people didn't all share my interests and I feel that the punishment was more of a wake-up call in that. Afterwards, I kind of stopped publicly showing that I was a fan.

I never really got back into playing it until like 2008 when Platinum came out.

Of course now Pokémon is a fairly popular franchise and I frankly blame Pokémon Go for that. In a rather ironic twist, the kid that I hit from elementary was all into this while I didn't even touch the app.

It does irritate me when they proclaim on their Facebook and Twitter that they've been longtime fans and how much they love Pokémon and all. Call me a bit sadistic or a terrible person, but I don't hesitate to (subtly) jab at all them for jabbing me when I originally was an avid fan when we were younger.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  12. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I haven't really had this phase either. I obviously hide some of my interests from my friends at school, but I never stop liking them due to peer pressure. The only possible example was back in like first grade when I liked Dora and everyone said it sucked, but I probably would have realized it shortly after even without them. I am pretty vocal about the entertainment-based opinions I have.

13. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    Like, well, everyone here it looks like, I never really went though that faze and still like most of the stuff from my childhood. In regards to Pokémon in particular, I started to lose interest in the franchise sometime during Gen III, reaching my lowest point through Gen IV before finally starting to warm back up to it around the time HeartGold and SoulSilver came out and finally getting back into the series fully for Gen V.

14. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I went through this with Gen III, because literally everyone around me did. To mention you liked Pokémon back then was to commit social suicide; you'd get mercilessly mocked for it, and honestly with the anime no longer airing on TV I could watch, and the games feeling like a step-down from GSC, there wasn't really much to keep me interested...although I enjoyed Emerald a lot more than Ruby and Sapphire, and the nostalgia factor of FRLG was nice enough. I had it again with Gen V, and I'm experiencing it right now with Gen VII, although perhaps not as strongly. Odd-numbered generations just don't seem to be for me.

15. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I went through this phase, but more so because my mother forced it upon me. In the end it gave me some much needed perspective on things, but I still wish it had never happened. That and I ended up flipping around my life entirely partly because of it.

16. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Ahaha it's story time
    I have these bracelets; simple, metal and string Pokémon bracelets. I wear them every single day. I have had them for literally, years, and they are faded and falling apart and I freaking love them. I got them so people would stop asking if I was 'too old'. Most people assume they're just regular bracelets until I show them. They are MINE.

However, I did fall out of the Maze Runner fandom for like, an awkwardly long amount of time because I got angry at The Scorch Trials and returned it in a fit of adolescent rage and whenever I saw it I'd feel so guilty that I eventually got it back out and read through it all.
    And that, dear readers, is how I had a nasty breakup with a book. Welcome to my life.
    #MissingNo

17. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    Honestly cannot say I've had this phase. At least, not yet.

18. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I personally didn't go through this phase, but most of the kids in my school did when they were around 10-12 years old. I remember they found it weird that my friends and I still liked the franchise. They seemed pretty adamant to prove they'd moved past liking it, teasing people still invested in it. I guess it's a part of some people growing up, they want to prove how 'adult' they are.

19. Hikari

Hikari Poké Maniac

Ryu
    (Trapinch)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽450.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I also never went through the phase much, though I did stop watching the anime for a time. Though maybe not for that reason though?
    I’ve always loved Pokémon, and I always tried to find out if someone I knew also liked it. Eventually, I gained a few friends who also enjoyed it, but there weren’t many. Maybe they went through the phase I never seemed to experience?

20. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Nope. I fall in and out of fandoms here and there but when it comes to Pokémon it's been one of the few consistencies that I've had in my life. I've been with it from the start and I don't think I'll ever stop loving the franchise.
    I've singlehandedly dragged friends back into the fandom just to have people to fangirl out with about Pokémon (But now I have LV for that too~~)