1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 7 Your thoughts on the SOS system?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by colours, Jan 21, 2018.

1. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    For those unaware, the SOS system is basically when a Pokémon calls for help whenever it's low on HP. This can be especially annoying when you're trying to chain sometimes; mostly because one of the limitations of SOS chaining is that you aren't allowed to use Pokeballs when both Pokémon are out, so you have to knock out one of them. u.u

So, as the title states, what are your thoughts on this? Was this particularly annoying for you, or did you find it more useful?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    It's my favorite shiny hunting method (I got my first hunted shiny with it), but it's annoying when you're trying to catch a wild Pokémon. Also if you're just trying to level up a weak Pokémon but it gets killed because the wild one called for help... (#truestory)
    Though apparently in USUM wild mons can call only one time for help if you don't use an Adrenalin Orb, so that's great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    I like the SOS system for Totem battles, as I feel that it adds to the challenge and strategy of them. When it comes to wild Pokémon battles, however, its little more than an annoyance. Although I do like some of the little details they added in, such as Sableye being able to be called by Carbink because it shows up to eat Carbink's gemstones.

Arctiquaza, Gwoomy and Lexatom like this.
  4. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I thought it was a neat new feature, but I personally liked Horde battles much more. In Horde Battles it's 5 mons each time after sweet scent, but with SOS battles you have to encounter the mon, set up the chain, lower it's hp/set up adren orb, and then make sure the calling mon doesn't get statused or loses its PP OR KOs itself... it just seems like a lot of extra effort when Hordes seemed much more efficient and easier to deal with (in regards to EV training and shiny hunting).

Lexatom likes this.
  5. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I feel like I was kind of in the minority of people I know that really liked the SOS System. Sure, it can have its drawbacks like I've stated in the OP, but I think the benefits far outweigh that. I think I've encountered more shinies via the SOS system than I ever have in my entire history of Pokémon gaming, which really goes to show how easy Game Freak made it to obtain a shiny. =o

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    The Sableye-Carbink thing is beautiful, and totally logical. Sure, an injured animal might call for help, but those cries for help also advertize to predators that there's easy prey there. Sableye-Carbink, Mareanie-Corsola, there might be a few others, but I was astounded by the thought that went into it.

Game mechanics wise, I think SOS battles actually make the game difficult (for once). Double battles are complex and more fun than an ordinary 1-on-1 wild, but fighting an uphill battle against outnumbering opponents? Now that has potential to be difficult, and for me, more fun.

7. GamerDude1124

PokéPoints:
    ₽319.0
    I agree with some other people, its the best Shiny Hunting method imo. But it's super annoying when catching wil Pokémon.

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I really like the SOS system, makes training a bit easier and it is great shiny hunting method when you can set it up.

9. BaroqueGrimoire

BaroqueGrimoire The Aureate Sorcerer

Nouveau
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽308.1
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I personally don't much care for it, but I suppose that for shiny hunters it's a real gem. :D

10. Iopdev

Iopdev Dragonair Enthusiast

Ceto
    (Dragonair)
    Level 46
    PokéPoints:
    ₽143.5
    Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I really like the SOS system! It's really usefull while shiny hunting and leveling too!

11. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    It's really cool, adding to how Pokémon depend on one another for support. My personal favorite way to go shiny hunting because you can set up a team specially designed for chaining. Combined with the walkthroughs and Summer Scramble, I actually got a few to contribute.

What I don't like about it was the fact that there were some battles you'd get roped into and the wild Pokémon ALWAYS calls for help. Golbats were especially annoying since they'd have a high SOS rate and 9 times out of 10, it seemed to get answered. Doesn't help they're fast and if you've got a slow 'mon with your back against the wall, it becomes more of an attrition battle than anything.

Glad in USUM that they reduced it to one answered call unless you have Intimidate/Pressure/Unnerve or use Adrenaline Orbs.

12. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I think that it makes the game challenging, also annoying, but it makes it easier to find shiny Pokémon in the wild

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Absolutely the best way to EV train. What used to take several hours can now be done in maybe 20 minutes or less.

Smarty_Pants001 likes this.
  14. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    For Totem Battles and EV training, it's really useful and a good addition. Regular wild battles can get annoying with it, but I find it adds a bit more need for strategy to the game, since it's two on one.

15. ShadowJCreed

ShadowJCreed Hex Maniac

Meltan
    (Meltan)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽689.7
    Dome Fossil ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★
    I like the SOS it’s cool to get hard to evolve Pokémon however it can be really irritating sometimes when I try to get some of them. Like today I tried to get a Crobat because it’s annoying evolving with friendship for me it’s gets too exhausting to get their friendship level up from nothing and the Lomi Lomi massage thing doesn’t work too well. Of course though I didn’t get Crobat the Golbat I was using used Struggle and made itself faint.

16. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I like how it makes the game more challenging, especially in Totem battles. I can't say no to the extra EXP from defeating another opponent, too. On the other hand, it can be incredibly frustrating if I just want to catch a Pokémon and it keeps calling an ally. So, I suppose I have mixed feelings on the matter.

17. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    They're a great addition to the Totem battles, and make them a little bit more difficult.
    But, in nrmal battles against wild Pokémon, they're only annoying me. At the start of my journey, where my team was literally nothing, I couldn't 1 hit K.O the mons, which caused them to call for help. This streched battles so much.

18. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    For the totems, I thought they were a fantastic edition, making various totems such as Wishiwashi (SM), Lurantis, and Mimikyu that much more of a challenge to take on. I think shiny chaining this way is also better than how you'd chain in Gen 6. Finding mons with Hidden abilities is much easier this way as well IMO, as every time you'd get in a horde battle, you'd basically have to skill swap multiple times in one battle for a lower chance of them appearing than in this game. For EV training, however, I'd have much preferred the horde battles since they're significantly easier to control and you gain EV's much faster this way.

Overall I think they're good additions to the series.

19. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I like SOS battles mainly because they make EV training go a little bit faster at times, not only that, but it allows you to get Pokémon with decent IV's too.

However, outside of the competitive stuff, it did make things a little more challenging, especially in Totem battles. Not only that, but I felt like Pokémon should've been able to do something like this in the past (Call for help whenever they needed it).

20. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,343.1
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I like the system, it makes sense lore wise and gives room for some fun easter eggs (like wounded Corsola attracting Mareanie). It also makes grinding of all kinds easier, especially in nuzlocke runs.