1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    We all die in video games sometimes. Share with us some of your best/worst/most embarrassing/most enlightening video game losses! What is the most number of times you've died in a video game? And generally, how do you deal with losing in video games? Does being put down by a tough boss inspire you to try again, or is it a sign that it might be time to put the game down?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Deaths for me usually follow, "I think I can make that jump."

I think death are worse if it's a bunch back to back in a game that was relatively easy up to that point. That just makes it seem like there's some weird balance issues, which can be frustrating because then it seems less like my fault and more like the game's. I'm perfectly fine dying to my own incompetence because I can get better with practice, but when it's the game's fault, there's that sense of, "Why am I even playing this?"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    The first thing that comes to mind is when I tried a Nuzlocke challenge of FireRed a few months ago and I ended up losing the first rival battle. Twice in a row.

4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Gosh, there were a bunch of times where I lost, but the most memorable one for me was the final boss of Bravely Second.

I had no idea what expect from Providence's first form when I first got into it. I was doing fairly well in fights for the most part, I was decently leveled, and I felt confident that I could take this despair-hungry crow.
    ...And then it decided to cast Mandate of Heaven, a spell I'd never seen before. I know it blatantly told me to use this character to strike at another in my party, but I wasn't sure how or why at the time, and it was charging back up its Brave Points. When I didn't do as instructed, the boss wiped my entire team in a single blow with Divine Punishment. I was so confused.
    Not wanting to lose face against this frankly unfair blow, I decided to see if I could cheese the attack with the Bishop's Calm skill to stop all incoming damage. And it worked. I beat the first phase of the boss pretty easily after that. The second phase is a different story (I still beat it just fine, though the fake-out of nearly deleting my save files almost got me).

Since then, most of my experiences with RPGs have me thinking outside the box and be a lot more strategic to defeat tough bosses and enemies. Boss keeps charming your strongest fighter? Give him an accessory to prevent it. That's just one example.

#4 Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  5. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    My worst death in a video game was probably in Kirby Planet Robobot a few months ago. I’d been trying to beat the True Arena for weeks then, but it was really difficult. This true arena was a lot harder than previous true arenas for some reasons probably because the final boss has 4 different phases to it anyway so I was on the last phase of the final boss. I defeated the boss, but it has one last attack that it does before it dies. If you get hit by this attack, it does over half damage to you. So I was running around, trying not to get hit. I accidentally jumped too high and got hit by the attack and died. I was so salty that I didn’t recover from the salt until I beat it (which was a few days later, but still)

6. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    During my first run of the Legend of Zelda Majorca’s Mask, I struggled to find the Zora eggs. I didn’t have the stone mask to make the stealth sections easier, and I found the Great Bay Area to be confusing. Even though I used the time slowing song, it wasn’t enough time for my 9 year old self. The Moon fell as I got my last egg and I lost three hours of progress. I ended up crying in frustration and quit for a week. Now that I know where all the eggs are at, this part of the game is no longer a problem for me.

ChocoChicken and Absolute Zero like this.
  7. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,937.8
    Confession time--when I first got FR/LG, it took me six tries to beat Brock (I counted), because I didn't know he got Rock Tomb in the remake.

This is why I typically save right before and right after a boss--so if it is a tough fight, I DON'T have to do it again!

If a boss is killing my party too often, I do a little research to fine tune my strategy--this sometimes means walking away from the game for a bit.

If a boss is TOO hard, I may stop playing altogether.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  8. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    In my latest Nuzlocke, my first encounter was a shiny Mismagius, which wiped out my starter (this was before I'd even gotten Pokeballs).

Another memorable death was against the Apsalus II, in MS Saga: A New Dawn. There were two issues at play: as the team had started learning more defensive skills, the bosses had started becoming stronger and having more brutal strategies, and yet I hadn't adapted to vary my own strategies to deal with said bosses; second, I had made the mistake of trying to keep the party balanced stat-wise rather than leaning into their own individual strengths, so they were overall much weaker than they should have been. Eventually I started over again and after learning the Apsalus' strategy I was able to get past it and eventually complete the game.

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    "I wonder if this fire will burn me?" Something I say in videogames far more often than real life (though still sometimes irl). Yes, whether it's a low-mounted torch lighting my way across a bridge, or the pyre upon which my fallen ally is being cremated, a burning monster who I just ignited with a fiery shot, or just a vivid game of the-floor-is-lava, you can bet I'm going to try to find out if it's hurts to the touch or not.

"It was a calculated risk," I will say as my HP reaches zero outside of a combat situation, "but I am bad at math".

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  10. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Going through a long dungeon thinking the boss will be easy to compensate then dying to one of the hardest bosses in the entire game.

This happens often in JRPGs

11. Azelflover1

Susie
    (Mankey)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽636.3
    Any True Arena.... with Stone! In my Kirby Super Star Ultra copy, I make it all the way to Wham-Bam Jewel, but I always lose in that round. Once, I made it to the second to last round where you fight Galacta Knight, but I lost near the beginning of the fight. In my Triple Deluxe copy, I always lose on the round with Dark Meta Knight. In Planet Robobot, I always lose very early on. In Star Allies, since both Arenas have effectively been replaced by The Ultimate Choice, I'm trying to do Soul Melter with Marx and a team of healers, but I always lose at Void Termina's first phase.

#11 Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  12. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    One happened yesterday that is super :(

I was playing MH rise and in the last few seconds got melted by the Bazelgeuse I was fighting in the air for the last cart.

STYLE POINTS.