1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Zacian & Zamazenta

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    What do you think of the legendaries in Sword & Shield?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,620.6
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    Right now, they look a tad too complex to me. But I probably need to warm up to them more! Leaning a bit more towards the sword one but I haven't completely decided my fave yet~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Welp, they aren't gonna be my favourites, as I've kinda...expected more? I don't even what I exactly expected, but they aren't compatible to these thoughts, as it seems. (That doesn't mean that I absolutely disgust or hate the new legendaries, please don't get me wrong.) I don't know why, but when I see the new legendaries, they kinda rember me of Solgaleo. Though it's most likely just me. I like Zacian more than Zamazenta, due to it having a blade in his maw, which seems perfectly fine, so I'll most likely get Pokémon Sword.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    Its going to take some time for me to get used to them but so far I prefer Zacian over Zamazenta. Zamazenta's shield-mane thing is kind of bulky and doesn't look very good. Zacian, on the other hand, is a giant wolf with a sword. I'm not sure what more I could ask for.

5. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I like both because I'm a sucker for wolves, medieval armaments, and the obvious mythological references. :sweat:

6. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I don't dislike them, but they seem too similar to each other imo. At the very least, I wish they would've changed up the colours a little, because aside from Zamazenta being slightly darker, the two of them more or less have the same colour scheme.

7. Sheinxy

Sheinxy Black Belt

Milky
    (Shinx)
    Level 40
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,893.6
    I think their name should have been Swordoggo and Shieldoggo

Neb, Gwoomy, Laserdragon14 and 3 others like this.
  8. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    I share the same sentiment with many of the people in this thread: not really a fan. I have liked at least one of the cover legendaries in every release since I started playing Pokémon with Emerald. However, neither of these Pokémon stand out to me, and I attest that to how similar they are. Zacian is DEFINITELY the one I like more as of now, but it's design still leaves a lot to be desired. They just look too similar, the color schemes seem a little weird, and I'm just not a fan of the overall design. That being said, Zamazenta is one of the coolest names I've heard in a while.

9. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I enjoy the meme sword doggos finally becoming Pokémon, the fact they're so similar makes me think they are related (like, family tree-wise).

Gwoomy likes this.
  10. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,004.5
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    They're... okay I guess? Seem a bit too similar, unlike the other Pokémon we've seen, but that's all right. Zacian holding the sword in its mouth is a little strange. How does it use that? Can it thrust and stab while the sword is stuck sideways? What happens if someone took the sword out?

11. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I hated both of them when the direct first aired -due to them being way too complex and having clashing colour schemes- but over the last day Zamazenta has really grown on me. While I still think it is a bit overdesigned, I think overall it's details at least kinda fit together, unlike Zacian whos design leaves me confused every time I look at it. I prefer the darker colours too. Oh, and it also reminds me of zoids, which is cool.
    As you can probably already tell I'm still not a fan of Zacian. Washed out -and clashing- colour scheme and confusing/messy design is what keeps me from liking it.

12. Minty Electric

SS Egg 1
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.0
    Seconding this wholeheartedly. At first, I kinda preferred Zamazenta because Zacian's sword threw me off, but honestly, the more I look at it, the more I just kinda ... prefer sword doggo, haha.

Either way, though, I can't help but look at them and think, "This is a Digimon." It's kinda awkward because I'm normally not That Person, and I try my hardest to find something to be excited about with all new 'mon (and if I don't, I certainly don't pull a genwunner argument), buuuuuut ... I don't know. I'm just going to need more time to warm up to them. D:

13. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    If Zamazenta has a shield on its body then why does Zacian carry a sword and not have a sword attached to it? It drops the sword and then it’s just a doggo with no weapon.
    Aside from the shield awkwardly jutting out of Zamazenta, the two look too similar to each other. And they both look somewhat similar to Solgaleo. I’ll probably warm up to them over time, but for now I’m not too fond.
    ALSO: I really hope neither of them is part Psychic or part Dragon type, because every single region has box legendaries of one of these types and I think the trend should stop. Also we just had a Steel-Psychic box legendary last game (Solgaleo).

14. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Welcome to Wolf's way too long defense of Zacian and Zamazenta. (It's not just because they're wolves, I promise, they're actually genuinely awesome.)

I've heard a lot of people say they're really complicated design-wise, but I think the trailer was mostly at fault for that first impression. The way they were animated honestly looked AWFUL and the camera almost only ever showed them zoomed in too close or too far away. Far away you could barely see them and up close they looked overly complicated. I mean look at these guys!

[​IMG]

They look awesome illustrated. And yeah Zamazenta does look a little bulky, but in this other image, you can see that the sides of its shield-mane kind of wrap around it and it seems to flare out flat when defending itself.

[​IMG]

I think the designs are pretty solid. I wasn't sure what to think about the colors before, but they've grown on me. People say they look too similar in part because of the colors and that one should have been red and the other blue, but that's actually what they are. Zacian has a blue base-color with red tail while Zamazenta is red with a blue tail, matching the colors of the sword and shield logos respectively. They're like polar opposites in a way. One's slim and offensive, the other is bulky and defensive. If you look at Zacian in the first image, you can also see white markings in its blue fur that look like battle scars. Very nice touch since it's less defensive than Zamazenta.

I don't know if this is true, but I think they might be based on a Valkyrie and a Berserker, which would explain, as @Shadria said, that they look like they're related in some way. Zacian has a slender, more feminine frame, is a sword-wielding warrior with wing-like protrusions on its back and its head is also shaped in a way similar to the portrayals of Valkyrie helmets. Zamazenta is much more bulky, especially around the shoulders, which is generally a masculine feature. Berserkers are like the male variation of Valkyries and are said to be almost invincible against any blade unless they're decapitated, so it makes sense that Zamazenta's mane-shield extends around its neck; it's covering its weak spot. It also might be worth mentioning that Berserkers would wear wolf skins and valkyries would ride wolves into battle.

Odin in norse mythology had two wolves named Geri and Freki. Considering Valkyries and Berserkers also served Odin, this would be a really nice depiction of the two concepts merged together and would also suggest our third legendary to be a depiction of Odin, which would be awesome. Considering these games are following Sun and Moon, they could also be a reference to Skoll and Hati, the wolves that chase the sun and moon. They're literally following the sun and moon. There are a lot of wolf duos, so the fact that Zacian and Zamazenta are so similar makes a lot of sense to me.

Considering we have a raven Pokémon now and ravens are the servants of Odin, I'm getting a pretty strong norse vibe here and I don't think this is completely out of the question, especially taking the region where the games take place into account.

The more I look into these two, the more I like them. I'm not sure I even have a favorite between them at this point.

Edit: It took a few years but I've finally made a post, entirely unintentionally, that makes me sound somewhat like a "Wolf Expert" :P

Gwoomy, SnowboundBecca and Shadria like this.
  15. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I honestly don't really care much for either of them to be honest, not a fan of their designs.

16. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I like them, but I don't love them. The designs do seem a bit too complex, especially for Zacien, but I find that less of an issue than the fact that they don't look natural enough. It seems as if someone spray painted two wolves, and gave one a sword and glued a shield to the other's face. Zamazenta looks a bit more natural, ironically, but still not totally. I prefer Zamazenta, but I don't love, nor hate, either one.

17. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Well, I kinda like Zacian more, but mainly it's because I like very streamlined, elegant Pokémon.
    Zamazenta is...very cool but not exactly my thing.

But for legendaries, they are really good. I do like them don't if it matters too much tho, I don't have a switch...

18. ShadowJCreed

ShadowJCreed Hex Maniac

Meltan
    (Meltan)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽689.7
    Dome Fossil ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★
    I think they both look good and I’m probably not the first person to say this, but Zacian looks like Sif the Wolf from Dark Souls that I didn’t really want to kill, but had to. Looking at Sif I know the Pokémon company won’t just basically do copy and paste with it, but they would get a good idea of how it can use that sword in it’s mouth properly.

As for Zamazenta it looks pretty cool to me as well, just not as interesting as Zacian is. Even with that though I still haven’t decided which game I will be getting in November. This one’s a little hard for me to decide on for some reason, but I have 5 months to decide so I’ll have my decision done before that time.

19. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I think they look okay. I'm actually part of the minority that seems to prefer Zamazenta more. I like how its mane thing is a shield, while Zacian is just carrying a sword in its mouth. I'm not too happy how similar they look to each other, but as time passes I'm starting to see more differences between them. Although, now when I see Zacian it's just starting to look more and more like the digimon Gaogamon.
    upload_2019-7-30_12-45-11.jpeg upload_2019-7-30_12-46-2.jpeg

20. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Like Both Despite I Like Zacian More Due To His Action With Sword.

And Zacian Is Already Confirmed To Be A Character For My Original Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Format Story, The Interplanetary Wish.