1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Rate My Team Zero tries to chop down the Battle Tree

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Absolute Zero, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    As I prepare to exit this wormhole that has kept me prisoner for far too long, I'm going to get back into breeding soon, and I want a goal in mind. As such, I've made my first OU-restricted team specifically for Gen 7. Here's the Smogon export of my list.

Umbreon @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Foul Play
    - Protect

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Hammer Arm
    - Drain Punch
    - Leech Life
    - Outrage

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
    Ability: Tough Claws
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Aqua Tail
    - Rock Slide
    - Fire Fang
    - Iron Head

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earth Power
    - Ice Beam
    - Shadow Ball

Xurkitree @ Grassium Z
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Ingrain
    - Energy Ball
    - Discharge
    - Calm Mind

Serperior @ Leftovers
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Leech Seed
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Substitute

- Umbreon: Healer and patient toxic murderer, might add Heal Bell somewhere, but I prefer to keep Wish.
    - Buzzwole: Making him a versatile attacker. I'm willing to exchange one of its Fighting-type attacks for something else (roost?), as well as exchanging Outrage.
    - Mega Aerodactyl: Going for a speedy physical attacker who's good at flinching while also maximizing Tough Claws. Everything but Rock Slide benefits from that, but it gets stab and flinch so I'm not too upset.
    - Nidoqueen: Never used her before, but I'll give her a try. Pretty much taking the Smogon recommendation on her. I'm not attached at all, so she can be fully replaced easy.
    - Xurkitree: I'm trying to make it into a stable attacker. Get ingrained, get one or two calm minds in, and then start wrecking with high SpAtt. Grass Z I might use on Ingrain (SpDef+1) or on Energy Ball, not sure.
    - Serperior: That contrary Leaf Storm tho. Hopefully leech seed and substitute get enough setup time. When it comes to breeding, I might not bother with getting IVs right for Hidden Power Fire, so I'm really open to something else there.

- Known flaws: I don't have a really fast attacker (aside from Aerodactyl) to close a close match, and I also have no weather or terrain in this team.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    From what I can see here, there are a lot of flaws but it is a great start. Let's just go over the team one Pokémon at a time and see what your team struggles with.

Umbreon is pretty OK, I much prefer Leftovers for extra sustain but Rocky Helmet aint bad. I feel that if you want to run Rocky Helmet on Umbreon then go with Bold nature with Max Defense EV's so it can take physical moves better and retaliate better with Foul Play.

Buzzwole needs a revamp. Having both Hammer Arm and Drain Punch on the same set isn't great and you are just asking to get walled by Fairy types with Outrage. Put Poison Jab and Ice Punch instead of Outrage and Hammer Arm and max Attack and Speed and you should be alright. I'd also recommend putting Earthquake on instead of Leech Life to handle certain matchups better like Heatran and Toxapex.

Aerodactyl isn't the best Mega in OU but it's a pretty decent wallbreaker, personally I'd go with either Mawile or Tyranitar for your mega as they can go a lot longer than Aerodactyl but they are slower so it's your choice. If you do go with 'Dactyl then I'd have Aerial Ace, Stone Edge and Ice Fang instead of Iron Head, Rock Slide and Aqua Tail. EV's are fine.

Nidoqueen isn't the best thing to bring into OU as a rocker, you'd be better off using Ferrothorn, Landorus-T or Heatran for rocks but if you wanna use Nidoqueen that's the set I'd use.

Xurkitree needs a revamp as well. Zurkitree isn't suited for defensive purpose at all with a mediocre base 71 Defense and Special Defense stat. What Xurkitree does well however is being a special nuke. How do we exploit that? Z- Hypnosis. Z- Hypnosis raises Xurkitree's speed by 1 stage (a 1.5x boost) and you can put something to sleep which sets up for part 2 of Xurkitree's nuking strat, Tail Glow. If your opponent has no way to act out of sleep, they have to switch, meaning you get a free Tail Glow to raise your Special Attack stat by a whopping 3 stages. Then you can proceed to sweep everything with Thunderbolt and Energy Ball. Xurkitree is usually best brought in after something faints on your side because Xurkitree really cannot take a hit well at all and Earthquake really messes it up.

Serperior is good but if you don't want to use it it can easily be replaced with something that will give Xurkitree a crutch when dealing with Ground types like Landorus and Garchomp. Tapu Bulu. Bulu is one of Xurkitree's best partners because of Grassy Terrain, it reduces the power of Earthquake and Earth Power by half so Xurkitree can take a hit, powers up Xurkitree's Energy Ball and it gives Xurkitree a little bit of sustain with the passive recovery each turn. Bulu does well with Choice Band/Scarf and even Assault Vest.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Superpower
    - Zen Headbutt
    or
    Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 52 SpD / 144 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Horn Leech
    - Wood Hammer
    - Superpower
    - Nature's Madness

Really up to you to decide what you want to do with Serperior or your choice of Bulu set.

Now with those changes your team is pretty well rounded but it still struggles against a few things.

Heatran
    By far the biggest weakness to this team, with Bulu on the field Earthquake and Earth Power won't damage it too much and you really can't touch it without a Water type. Banded Bulu's Superpower will KO all variants of Heatran but offensive Heatran will outspeed Bulu so you have to catch it on a switch in.

Rain
    Mega-Swampert and Pelipper are really good at offensive pressure and they aren't afraid to expose weaknesses. Without Grassy Terrain, Xurkitree cannot kill Swampert as in the rain, Swampert will outspeed Xurkitree, even with the Z-Hypnosis boost and without Grassy Terrain, Xurkitree cannot take an Earthquake so it's dead. However, Bulu can take on Swampert ans it can take one Ice Punch but Offensive Pelipper will take it down with Hurricane. Bulu however can outspeed it and KO it with either Horn Leech or Wood Hammer so as long as Bulu is alive you'll be ok.

Koko-Lucha
    Tapu Koko and Hawlucha have disgusting synergy and it's not easy to take out Hawlucha when that Unburden boost is active. Hawlucha can and will outspeed and KO your entire team with Acrobatics and Drain Punch/Hi-Jump Kick. If Hawlucha gets up a Swords Dance and lives, it's game over. You can avoid this by pressuring Xurkitree's use early, causing Hawlucha to not be ready for an impending sweep from Xurkitree. Putting Hawlucha in a bad situation is great for the team and KOing Hawlucha is even better, Koko isn't really a problem because Bulu exists.

Hazards
    Hazard stacking is going to be your team's worst nightmare. Ferrothorn can pressure you with layers of Spikes and if that team has a Toxapex, OOF. Spikes stacked with Toxic poison is HELL and this team has no Defoggers or Rapid Spinners to stop the setup. You can avoid this by swapping Umbreon for Espeon so you can bounce the Toxic Spikes and Spikes back or giving up a moveslot on Aerodactyl for Defog. Not to mention...

Ferrothorn
    You. Cannot. Kill. Ferrothorn. There is no way you can handle Ferrothorn efficiently. Once again, keeping Bulu alive is VERY crucial as at this point he is the backbone of this team as Bulu has a chance to OHKO Ferrothorn without Chople Berry with Superpower. Consider having a fire type like Heatran as a rocks setter as opposed to Nidoqueen.

That's all I can think of at the moment. The team is good but it definitely has it's flaws. Hopefully this helped and if you do have further questions feel free to "@" me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ryan likes this.