1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Garden of Heaven ❀ Reun's Studio

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by Reunilu, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Reunilu

Reunilu Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽366.6
    That promised portfolio. Wow, I'm going to have to get used to not looking at a CSS thread OP. Graphics get sorted from newest to oldest (but not strictly so because I don't remember exact dates), drawings are at the bottom. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

By the way, if something has "Shay GFX/Shaymin Edits" on it, don't worry I haven't plagiarized the work. On some forums that I have a longer history with, I go by Shaymin/ssshaymin (read as S. S. Shaymin). Same goes for mogwald, if I ever manage to get that far with the sheer amount that I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notes:
    • I stopped making signatures for several months after I made that Haruka signature. I got really mad that I was given just a head as a render and the customer didn't even use it. Hmph.
    • That Asriel cover I made? If you've ever listened to various Undertale remixes, chances are you've probably run into one of Kamex's remixes. Kamex the remixer is one of my close friends.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More notes:
    • The Mega Charizard X is also an album cover dedicated to Kamex, it just doesn't have the title on it.
    • Yes I did that entire banner. In like, five styles, too. Including my main one. I need to find the individual files for that banner one day.
    • The forum using the banner that has "SuperSkarmory Forums" on it is a mostly defunct website. I'll replace it with a textless version when I'm not as tired.
    Also have some doodles.

[​IMG]
    (getting used to a pen tablet)

[​IMG]
    (getting the hang of things)

[​IMG]
    uhhhhhhhhhh this is an inside joke but 'tis necessary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    aka please stop appearing I will level you later

[​IMG]
    My OC and the protagonist of many, many unfinished stories. May or may not have dissociative identity disorder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Reborn, Lord Vain, Sanctuary and 2 others like this.
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Wow! You have amazing signatures, so elegant and refined, you have such a wonderful artistic touch. I love how dynamic your pieces are and how the text really compliments the renders used. The color schemes of your most recent ones are so perfectly selected and gorgeous! Also your art is really lovely, I like the style you have and the way each piece has such character, the last ones you have such great line art and coloring! I hope I see more from you!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Reunilu likes this.
  3. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    AHhhhhh! I really love your signatures! I enjoy the textures and colors. They mesh very well together! Teach me pls. Haha. But seriously, your signatures are gorgeous.

4. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Teach me your ways, O master.

No, I'm serious - what kind of techniques do you generally use with the signatures? Does it matter if the render is by itself or not? How do you judge the right size? Which brushes are involved and why? Do you have a handful of stock backgrounds at your command to use?

I want to see if I can at least try and adopt another style of signature for myself; I know how to do one thing really well but I don't know much beyond that one thing.

5. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    Holy crap, please open a signature shop here!! I would love to commisaion your work! You make such astounding GFXs! I would love to see a tutorial of your effects<3

Cadbberry likes this.
  6. Reunilu

Reunilu Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽366.6
    Um wow, I wasn't expecting this much of a positive reaction. o_o;

@[member="Eclipse"]

what kind of techniques do you generally use with the signatures?

I mostly just... test out stuff? Idk, but the thing that I usually do is use clipping masks. Not to an outrageous amount, but enough that it compliments the render. This vertical piece is a prime example of my use of clipping masks. Since the render is in mostly black and white, instead of leaving the monochrome stuff at the end, I took a bunch of the resources I use pretty often and put greyscale clipping masks as I went through the piece, on top of the usual clipping masks I had. Also, this isn't really a technique, but what seems to be my main focus is making sure the background meshes well with the render, which mostly means adjusting colors to my liking. I'm not at my personal computer so I can show how, but that's what I do.

Does it matter if the render is by itself or not?

Don't think so, no. Er... could you explain the question a little more?

How do you judge the right size?

Honestly, I kinda just kinda put something down to see if it looks right, but I try to make it so that I know that the flow will work well when I do the signature itself.

Which brushes are involved and why?

Soft brushes, vectors, and splatters. That's pretty much it. Vectors and splatters are used for the clipping masks I make use of, the former of the two being much more important since it gives the amount of space I need for the texture to show up. Soft brushes are used for lighting when I need it to look pretty, although on rare occasions I'll use round hard brushes with soft brushes to make glowing balls.

Do you have a handful of stock backgrounds at your command to use?

Basically, yeah. My definition of stock has been changed to mean the same thing as a texture resource, though.

@[member="ShiroLugia"] Perhaps I'll do just that! Both of my shops on other forums have been dead and I would love to take more requests. ; ^ ;

Lord Vain, ShiroLugia and Cadbberry like this.
  7. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Ah, my apologies.

I was asking if it matters if the render in question is by itself (as a transparent render), or left alone as part of an original image. (For example, I used this image for my current signature as a baseline without trying to edit out anything - and I've noticed lately I do this more often than not - but for other stuff I've made I use a transparent render to start.)

Would it make much of a difference as to what you start with, or does it just involve different manipulation if you chose to leave the rest of an image in (i.e. wouldn't matter too much)?

8. Reunilu

Reunilu Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽366.6
    The method of making a signature is a little different, but the process is the same. In my experience, unrendered images don't work very well for me because of the way my approach relies heavily on backgrounds I've made.

9. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    Really lovely work! I won't comment on the drawings since anybody who can draw anything remotely similar to what they had in their head has more skill than I could ever dream of, but your signatures are really nice! You seem to be really comfortable using shapes and patterns and those diagonal lines that you seem quite fond of help to develop nice flow. I'd love to see what you could come up with some different effects like c4ds and bubbles, though then again I find these to seem a bit out of place on pieces with lighter backgrounds which seems to be what you prefer.

I can't wait to see more of your work :)

The following are my personal favourites:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since you said CnC is appreciated, I would say in the last piece out of my favourites, the green blurred diagonal line near the render's face seems a bit out of place and so a bit distracting. I'd also say you don't always have to include text. Sometimes it can really take away from a piece and distract from the focal. Your text in my favourite pieces are great examples of good text and you're generally really good at not having it be too overbearing.

Reunilu and Cadbberry like this.
  10. Reunilu

Reunilu Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽366.6
    Some stuff that i've been meaning to create a formal post for, but real life got in the way.

[​IMG]
    (request from another forum)

[​IMG]
    (from the shop)

[​IMG]
    (also from the shop)

[​IMG]
    OC stuff

Lord Vain and Cadbberry like this.