1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

A Basic Signature Guide [Photoshop]

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Achromatic, May 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Hey there! This is going to be a guide to making basic signatures on Photoshop. Some of these things I do may not be available on earlier versions. Just to let you know I'm using the latest.

Step 1:

Open up Photoshop, obviously! Make a new canvas. My recommended size is 400 width and 200 height! (I always do all of mine in exactly the same size, but I highly recommend trying out different sizes too!)

So, now you want to chose a Pokémon for this signature! We'll start off with... Deoxys! Now, we're going to need a good image of this Pokémon, so let's go find one! Finding an image is as simple as searching Deoxys render on google images! Pick out the best one, and make sure it's a PNG image too, with a transparent background! Now, place your Pokémon in to the canvas like so:

[​IMG]

Step 2:

Now we need a background! Deoxys is a space Pokémon, so we'll find a good space background for him! Again, it's as simple as googling "Space background" or "Space stock"

Here, this one looks pretty good! Make sure you align it just right to look good with your render!

[​IMG]

Step 3:

It's looking good, but a bit bare! I think we could add some effects. A lot of signature makers use stuff like C4Ds, these little 3D thingies, but since this is a simple tutorial, I'll teach you how to add fractals!

Fractals are like these cool little effects you can place on your image to really make it come to life, and to blend your character in with the background, to make it look like a real scene! Let's find some. Finding fractals isn't exactly easy though, well, it is but you need to know where to look. Click here if you want a ton of resources for making signatures, including fractals!

Now, I have put my fractal in place, and I've made sure it's on top of my render too....but wait! It's got a black background, and it's blue!

[​IMG]

Okay, there's an easy fix to this! First of all, click Control + F. This will bring up the Hue/Saturation for the layer. Do not mess with the saturation. We're going to mess around with the hue, so it'll match my background color. For example, my background is orange, so we'll make this fractal orange.

[​IMG]

Bingo! It matches perfectly now! But we still have that black background... Don't worry! There's an easy fix to that. Above the layer, you'll see something which says "Normal", click on that and change it to "Linear Dodge (Add)" and BOOM!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It looks much better! But it's still covering up the main body of our render! We should fix that! Simply get your eraser tool, make it A LOT smaller and erase around the main body of the render! If possible, leave some of the fractal around the edges, to make it blend! This sounds pretty tricky, but it's actually really easy, like so:

[​IMG]

I know you're thinking it looks not much different, but it's a lot more clearer now! Anyways, we're done with fractals for now. Remember add as many fractals as you like! Though there's no need to over do it. Just follow the same steps. If your fractal doesn't cover the whole body, like for example one of these fractals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then don't worry about erasing it! Just move it in place so it looks good and doesn't overlap your render too much.

Step 4:

Now we need to add lighting! I'm AWFUL at lighting, but there's plenty of good tutorials out there for this. Click here for one. If you need more, just search on Deviantart!

Final Step:

Add some adjustments to bring your image to life now!

[​IMG]

There's plenty of complex tutorials out there and on DeviantArt for these, so look some up! I'll teach you the one I use the most when making signatures.

[​IMG]

Levels! This can help make your image super bright or super dark, but the dark is the best! It'll help your image pop out a lot more. Simply mess around with those levers to make your image a bit darker, like so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has helped pop it out a bit more! Make sure to adjust it to match your signature and the feel of it.

Optional Step:

You may want to add text, to make sure other people don't use your work or just to make it your own! Click here for a great tutorial on text!

Anyways, I hope you found this useful! Thanks for reading.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ryan and Nate like this.
  2. ThePumkin

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Wow! this is a great guide!
    Gonna put this to use pretty soon, Thanks Ben! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OmegaBlazeBoy441

OmegaBlazeBoy441 Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Thank you so much!!! I needed this :D

4. Potatrobot

Potatrobot Resident Potato

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    I've got just the render in mind for a new signature. Thanks for putting this up.

5. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I'll try and put this to use if I ever get photoshop. Although I know I will never be as good as like you and Ryan, so of course I will always end up buying signatures from the GFX shop. :D

6. Potatrobot

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    Finished my first ever signature using this guide!
    [​IMG]
    Thank you Achromatic!

7. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    It's actually really good for a beginner, but isn't the text just ripped off the one Satix made for you? O.o

8. Potatrobot

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    Actually, no. It took ages, but I tracked down the font he used and formatted it to look the same as the one he made. Lots of trial and even more error. I even looked up the sprites he used and recoloured those, too. The only part missing is the Lake Valor cursive, because I didn't have the right font for it.

9. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Ah, I see...Well, good work anyways!

Potatrobot likes this.
  10. Gemini

Gemini "The Explorer"

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.0
    Achromatic, thanks for the awesome tutorial it really helped me. I need to work on my Fractals though.

11. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I ended up downloading that old version of photoshop from that thread. Anyway I did some experimenting using this guide. I used a pretty bad quality render but I was just messing around so I didn't really care. This is the result of it:
    [​IMG]

12. Sachi-Shimazu

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.8
    I got Photoshop for mah birthday, so I can maybe use this tutorial and Photoshop for sigs as well as GIMP

13. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    It's a good signature for a beginner. I'd really recommend trying to find your own style, though, rather than imitating mine.

14. Potatrobot

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    Thank you ^_^

And yeah, that's fair. I'll experiment with text when I make another signature. That might be sooner than I think, but right now I'm happy to stick with this cold theme I've got going.

15. Shirenai

Shirenai Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Really amazing..Thanks a lot !

16. Tobias

Tobias That Divergent fan.

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Thanks for making this! I have been wondering how to use Photoshop for a while now...

EDIT: How do you put an image on Photoshop?

17. Potatrobot

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    To put an image on Photoshop, open Photoshop, and open the image file. Click on File, Open, and choose the image.

18. Sachi-Shimazu

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.8
    How do you scale the image down to the size you want?

19. Potatrobot

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    To change the size of the image without changing the size of the canvas, make sure you have selected the layer the image is on, then click the black arrow button with a cross on it. This will allow you to click and drag the corners and sides of the image to resize it.

To change the size of the canvas without changing the size of the image, go to Image --> Canvas Size. There, you'll be able to give new dimensions for the height and width of the canvas.

To change the size of the entire image, including the canvas so that it looks the same, just bigger or smaller, go to Image --> Image Size and give new dimensions for the image.

Hope that helped.

20. Sachi-Shimazu

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.8
    [​IMG]
    First Photoshop signature and is is definitely much better than the GIMP ones.

Potatrobot likes this.