1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Artistic Dreams and the rough spots

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by ShiroLugia, Oct 9, 2016.

1. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    Let's face it. Some of us draw/create/compose/edit for fun and some of us plan to turn it into our lives.
    When someone tells you to "give up" on your creative aspirations how do you react? How do you take it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LunarRabbitPikachu

LunarRabbitPikachu Angel of the Moon

Saura
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    Moon Ball ★★★★Poké Ball ★GS Ball ★★★★★Mario Mushroom ★
    Funny story about this, it's had actually happened to me a week ago. My drawing instructor had wanted to check with my classmates and I on our ideas for one of our assignments. When I explained to her my idea and all the times that I've been doing my assignments, she pointed out that it was the worst idea ever. After class, she wanted to talk to me after class as to why I came up with such idea and what my major was. When I tried to explain my idea and what I'm trying to major, she really said I should change my major and just give up on drawing...

To be honest, my first reaction was... heartbreaking... I never imagined any instructor in general say that to me or anyone. And to hear it from her really shattered my confidence and love for drawing... But after a few days, I decided to gain back my confidence and love for drawing by coming up with something better than my previous idea or just to piss off my instructor by doing another idea that is a little similar to my previous idea. She didn't take it to well, but she pointed out that it was better than my previous idea she just doesn't know my real plot yet. After that, I started to feel a bit better all because I kept on trying to do somethings differently while still enjoying the drawing art that I enjoy. What I can say about this subject is this: No matter how harsh people say about your art dream, do not listen to them. It's who you are and its what you enjoy/dream of and you should live it and try everything you can with the subject you love.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Eclipse likes this.
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    This might be weird with my posting in a topic like this, largely because, on a few occasions in the past, I'm the person who's said that to somebody else.

Allow me to explain myself before you grab your pitchforks.

I know multiple people who have a passion for writing - stories, books, things like that. I have listened to their experiences with writing and such, and it's very clear that they are both good at it and they extremely enjoy it. In those cases I also had to step in and try to shy those people away to pursue a primary career in writing, and instead have it as a side option to supplement themselves.

It's not that I was trying to stop either of them from writing - quite the opposite, actually; I proofread their works on a regular basis. However, authors are generally paid based on how many of their books are sold, which is an extremely volatile number, so if the book does well, then good for you, but if not, it could result in wasted effort. This is why I've always been of the belief that supporting yourself on your books and works alone isn't a good idea, because it's entirely contingent on the whims of other people.

I believe I said this once about some kind of art, and with a rather similar argument, but I don't remember the context entirely so I'm not going to try and tell that story, as I know I'll get some of the details wrong. In the end, my message was to not get my friends to overly rely on writing as a career. I don't know if art is the same, though I know in some areas it can be (painting comes to mind).

However, I knew (and have known) that if you tell someone that, you have to be extremely deliberate with how you phrase it. Words and intent are easily misconstrued, and I didn't want to turn what I said into "you shouldn't bother writing at all". If you're ever on the giving end of this, take care how you express your thoughts to the other person, as everyone gets defensive and somewhat over criticism - even the good kind. And if you're ever on the receiving end, be fully aware of what the other person is saying to you, and how you're intended to take it - it is merely a suggestion, after all.

ShiroLugia likes this.
  4. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    @[member="Eclipse"] LOL Tbh I agree with you 100% Eclipse. That's a very logical way of putting it and hey, not a bad thing at all.
    As much as people should pursue their dreams, we gotta be realistic too. If you can't reach the moon, shoot for the stars right? And props to Lunar for doing just that!

LunarRabbitPikachu likes this.
  5. HyperChaosLugia

HyperChaosLugia Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽29.6
    Hmm...if someone were to tell me to "give up", I'd sass with whatever they cannot give up with such as: drugs, smoking, being a terrible person, an idiot, shouting etc because it's already a part of me, so it will be sorta impossible to do so. Also, I agree with Eclipse but in general, I will not stop drawing. Art is more of a hobby/side thing and you never know if you mix it up with other things like technology based ideas. Either way, serious or not: it is already part of my life, not turning art into my life or otherwise it would be no fun to enjoy other things~. XD

6. Koi

Koi Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽23.8
    I've been laughed at, saying how bad my art is...told that art doesn't make money for the longest time. Well years have passed and I'm still making art... professionally. SO LOOK AT ME NOW!
    No matter how hard I try to not make art, I always go back to it. Honestly, this is the generation where people appreciate creativity in the work place. Artists are dreamers, world creators, inspired individuals. Honestly, who wouldn't want someone like that to work for them?

7. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    People have openly told me I am a terrible artist, that I can't draw to save my life, or that I should just give up. I took it pretty hard and almost gave up on sketching for months at a time, until I started drawing Pokémon gijinkas just for fun. I honed my skills and now I think I'm pretty good...well, at least according to the people who once told me I sucked. >:) I gloated SO MUCH but hey, they deserved it!
    #MissingNo

8. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I was never told that my art sucked by other people. But myself on the other hand...
    I didn't used to be so good at drawing and it was really discouraging to see my other two sisters succeed where I had troubles, I ended up stopping for a number of years until I picked it back up about five years ago. Now I don't focus on what other people feel about my art. I draw because I like to and most the time, if I show it to other people, I get compliments (Of course digital still ends up looking better than traditional on a computer, but that's a debate for another day). I say if you love to do something, keep doing it. No matter what it is. Practice makes perfect, after all.

9. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I draw for my own amusement. I've never been told to give up or anything of the sort before but when I started I did get the questions like "Why is her face like that" "what's wrong with her eyes?""Why is the hand broken?""Why are the feet so big?" which were with that tone of voice. You know the one.
    It just made me strive to get all these things right in future images! And it took a long time but I feel like it was all worth it.

10. Nyanja

Nyanja › The fairy king ›

BEN!
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.4
    Crown of Valor
    Sometimes I wished I stuck with art instead of going down the path as a video editor but due to my lack of motivation and feeling that my artwork was nothing but crap ended up ruining my dreams into becoming an artist. I've been drawing since I was young taking art classes for over 10 years so I always had a passion into becoming an artist but it was during my rebel art stage I ended up drifting away to become a video editor. Now I'm trying to get back and wants to find away to interpret both into my career somehow. I still have a hard time getting out of the 'my art sucks' phase but I feel once I find my true art style then perhaps It'll help me understand my art more. For now I draw for fun but I'm still hoping to become a artist and want to create anime shows in the future.

11. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    I get really hurt and take things seriously. But Thankfully i have artist friends in my school and they like to pick me up once I get down.