1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ask Your Resident Physicist Questions

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by ID Zeta, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    Definitely. It'll help with your algebra skills (and if you get far enough or are advanced enough, it'll help your basic calculus skills as well). Physics is as much math as it is science.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Squirtle Hermit

Eggbert
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽21.7
    Hey there!

What would you say is the most important concept in physics? Also, if you don't mind sharing, which college are you attending?

3. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    I'm hesitant to share personal details like the college I'm attending, so I won't. I will say that it's a small, private institution in Ohio.
    The most important concept in physics? I think that depends on who you ask. A quantum physicist would likely answer "particle-wave duality" or "the Schrodinger equation", for example.

4. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    @ID Zeta Heya! you have one of the most interesting Q&A threads I've ever seen so here I am to revive it!

Do you think you'll be able to learn as much as you want in your lifetime?
    Does it sometimes overwhelm you that there is so much to learn but it takes time to concentrate and learn stuff?
    What's one subject you'd like to be proficient at?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    Glad you find it interesting, bud!
    -I think there will always be something I want to learn, but wontt be able to for some reason or another (time, money, etc). There's always new stuff to learn, so there may always be new stuff that I want to learn.
    -At times, it can be that way, most notably around final exam time if I have a cumulative exam. Having to relearn stuff from earlier in the course in a short amount of time can be stressful. From a more general standpoint, though, I don't usually feel that way. My interests span a relatively small range of topics, which substantially lowers the amount of stuff I can, want, and/or need to learn.
    -Depends how you define "be proficient at." If you mean "be more knowledgeable about," I'd probably say chemistry. If you mean "be better at," I'd probably say higher-level math simply because it's useful for higher-level physics.

Vigilance likes this.
  6. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    How long did it take you to get your physics major?

7. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    To get my Bachelor's Degree, you mean? Usually takes 4 years, the last of which I'll start this Fall.

Laserdragon14 likes this.
  8. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    So, I'm really interested in the field of physics. Are there any universities in the US that you would recommend?

9. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    That would depend both on where you are and what level you'd be getting into (undergrad, graduate, doctorate, stuff like that). Besides the school I go to (which I won't disclose for privacy reasons), I can't honestly recommend any to you. I can suggest looking at smaller institutions; they may not have as much funding as larger ones, but you'll get a more personal experience with the professors, which I think is pretty important.
    As a first step, investigate physics programs in your area, see if any institutions appeal to you. Schedule visits, talk with professors. If somewhere feels right to you, it's probably the best choice.

10. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when looking at colleges!

11. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    How many pound of torque does it take it take to rip a limb off an oak tree? The tree is fifteen feet tall, twenty feet in diamter, and the thickest limb is a foot wide

12. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    This problem is essentially asking about the torque on a lever arm. Torque can be expressed as T = F*r*sin(θ), where F is the force being applied, r is the distance away from the fulcrum (point of rotation) that force is applied, θ is the angle at which that force is applied with respect to the lever itself. For greatest efficiency (and simplicity), θ should always be perpendicular to the lever itself (that is, θ = 90 degrees), so sin(90) = 1.

This simplifies the equation to T = F*r. A quick Google search shows that the modulus of rupture (the quantity essentially describing how much force it takes to snap a piece of wood) of English Oak is 14100 pounds per square inch. This means, assuming I understand it correctly, that it takes 14100 pounds of force to snap a piece of oak whose cross-sectional area is 1 square inch. This value can help us find F in our equation. We know the thickest limb of our tree is 1 foot (12 inches) thick. If we assume the limb is cylindrical, then its radius is 6 inches, making its cross-sectional area of 6*6*π (or approximately 113) square inches. Multiplying this area by the modulus of rupture gives us the force required to break the limb: 1593300 lbs.

Unfortunately, we don't know how long the limb is, so we don't have a value for r in the above equation. However, the phrasing of the question suggests that the value we just found - 1593300 lbs of force - is what we're actually looking for instead of torque. Torque has units of foot-pounds in the Imperial system and Newton-meters in the metric system. Therefore, I believe 1593300 lbs of force is the correct answer.

13. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Since you're a physics major, will studying physics benefit me if I would like to get into MIT? I'm planning on choosing physics out of the three main sciences(biology, chemistry, physics).

14. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    MIT is quite a lofty goal, so I wish you the best of luck with it. Studying physics will definitely help you get there. I would also recommend taking some computer science and engineering courses as well to round out your experience.

Chicken likes this.
  15. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    What was your first Pokémon game?

16. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    Yellow. Yep, I'm an oldie.

17. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    What are your thoughts on Pokémon following you out on the field in games?

18. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    My impressions of it in Heart Gold and Soul Silver were basically "huh, that's kinda neat". It added a nice bit of flavor, but I wasn't overly impressed. I think the following mechanic in the new Switch games could be amusing, since the Pokémon now seem to appear to-scale.

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  19. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    What colour of pen do you prefer to write in?

Do you consider yourself to be tech savvy?

What's your least favourite evil Team?

20. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -I don't usually write in pen because you can't erase your mistakes (and I make plenty of mistakes in my work...). When I do, I don't really have a preference. I'll use whatever's available.
    -I like to think I am. I'm decent at troubleshooting tech problems.
    -I wasn't that fond of Team Flare. I liked their battle theme, but their outfits were goofy and most of the Grunts didn't seem to follow Lysander's ideology that closely.

Mandriel likes this.