1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ask Your Resident Physicist Questions

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by ID Zeta, Aug 5, 2017.

1. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    What if your favorite comfort food? What is an exotic/outlandish food you'd really love to try?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -Anything with chocolate, frankly.

-I'm a picky eater, so I prefer to stick with what I know I like.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    What is the weirdest thing you've ever witnessed?

4. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    I watched someone blow up a capacitor in my electronics class today. While not particularly weird, it's the best I can come up with.

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  5. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    What is something you originally thought was useless that you now see as useful?

6. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Winter is coming. How do you prepare for it?

7. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    Hm... There are a handful of things in calculus that I originally thought "Why would I ever need this?" when I learned about them. Those things would later be frequently used in several of my physics courses.
    Well, I'd find some Valyrian steel, hunker down somewhere, and wait for-
    Wait, wrong winter.
    As a kid in college, I try to stockpile more food in my room than usual, since walking through the bitter cold to get food can be too arduous at times. I also try to stay in my room as much as possible.

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  8. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    :: What's something you once did on accident, but ended up better than expected?

:: Do you have a favourite musical instrument?

:: Do you know too much?

9. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -Hm... I left my Pearl cartridge out and my dog chewed it up. I was heartbroken, since I loved that game, but it was a convenient excuse to get Platinum, a game I would pour nearly 500 hours into.

-Anything brass, though I favor the trumpet since that's what I play

-Oh, undoubtedly. At the sane time, though, I need to know more.

10. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Love it shall receive...

Do you get a lot of troll questions?

How long ago were you a Moderator at the lake?

11. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    What's your favorite part about physics?
    If you could go into any other major, what would you go into?
    What's your least favorite (Pokémon) type, and why?

12. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -Eh, I don't get that many, it seems.
    -The closest I got to being a mod here was being MOTM shortly after I joined. That was a few years ago. Technically, I haven't been a mod.

-The beauty of physics is that it applies to everything. Everything is governed by the laws of physics, which means everything can be broken down and explained through those laws. We may not have the framework to truly do that yet - there are many mysteries to solve and connections to be made - but when we do, the Universe will literally be at our fingertips.
    -Probably something with computer science. I'm pretty decent with coding, and it's a booming industry. It's actually my fallback plan if my ideal situation doesn't work out.
    -Fairy. I completely understand why they were added to the game, but that doesn't lessen my disdain for them. Dragon happens to be my favorite type, so a type that directly counters them is an not too high on my list of friends. The only good Fairies are Mimikyu and the Tapus.

Vigilance likes this.
  13. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Do you do things on impulse a lot?

14. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Can you make two parallel lines intersect??

15. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    Usually, no, I don't. I'm the kind of guy who likes to think things through before committing to them.

From the brief bit of searching I did, in the purely mathematical world, it actually is. Because the reasoning for it is similar to how I'd justify it, I'll explain it my way (which is a bit difficult without a picture to show what I'm talking about).
    Instead of simple parallel lines, imagine parallel ray of light. Normally, because they're parallel, they would never intersect. However, thanks to Einstein, we know that the fabric (and therefore the geometry) of space itself is flexible and can be distorted by massive objects like planets and stars. Because these objects have mass, they exert a gravitational force, which curves the space around them. When objects traveling through space meet that curve, they will follow that curve. Light is no exception to this. (This, by the way, is exactly how Einstein proved that space can curve) So, if one of our rays of light passes near a star, it will curve, and if the star in the right place, it will curve into the other ray of light. The ray itself didn't change, but the space it traveled through did.
    If that doesn't make a lot of sense to you, I completely understand. A lot of the things Einstein discovered and studied are not intuitive at all.

Mango likes this.
  16. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Is this curvature of space time what non Euclid geometry refers to?? (I think I’ll be asking you math related questions in the future...)

17. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    You could interpret it as a physical representation of non-Euclidean geometry, but I would ask someobe who's more math-savvy than me. I admit, I'm not the best at abstract math stuff.

18. Princess Victoria

Zelda
    (Ralts)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽231.1
    What's your take on the cosmological constant in which Einstein dubbed as his greatest blunder?

19. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    I think it's a simple case of Einstein creating something new without knowing the whole picture. The cosmological constant was generated before Hubble's observations of an expanding Universe. The mindset at the time was that the Universe was a static, constant machine, a thing with perfect behavior. Einstein probably wanted to prove that mindset mathematically. When the technology came around to prove it with observations, however, that answer was found to be inaccurate.
    He may be right after all, though, as ongoing research is gathering evidence that successfully the value of the cosmological constant is not 0.

20. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Have you seen the latest Star Wars movie? If so, were there any science/physics related inaccuracies that really bothered you?