1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Canvas Sizes

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Sep 19, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Canvas sizes vary from artist to artist. Do you usually draw with a smaller canvas or a larger canvas? Do you think one improves the quality of art over the other?

When I first started drawing I used small canvases. Usually around 600x800. In fact, I still use that size if I'm doing simple art pieces. For my lineless pieces I use anywhere from 1200x1400 to 1800 to 2000. I personally think with my own lineless style, the larger the better because I can squeeze more details into them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I usually start with 2000x2000, then expand the canvas when I need more room.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    awney likes this.
  3. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    Bigger canvases are the way to go, I think. I post a lot of my art on tumblr though, so anything too big ends up a blurry mess on there. I usually use 1500x1500 as a base and expand it out or up from there if I need to.

awney likes this.
  4. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    i have the same problem with posting on tumblr. betrayal

5. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽799.0
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    For my commissions, I always use A4 Paper sizes for canvases. It's a good international standard, and it allows for prints should the commissioner want to make one later :3

6. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I usually use A4-sized canvases, usually in landscape mode unless I'm drawing a full-body character. Otherwise, I use a 1200x1600 canvas, being the default size for the software I'm using.

7. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I always start with a 1000x1000 canvas and usually end up cropping it down because my less serious doodles don't really take up much space. Sometimes I expand the canvas by only 100 pixels which usually happens with full bodies. Plus smaller canvases make my lineart look thicker which I live for lmao

8. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,121.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I use a 1600x1200, because is the default size for Fire Alpaca, no other reason really.

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I start with 1600x1600 but I usually crop them down after I am finished. In case that I need to expand because the thing I am drawing is longer horizontal, I go 2000x1600 usually