1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Capitalization Rules

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Wings, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    When writing a fanfiction revolving around Pokémon/pokémon, what rules do you use for capitalizing? Do you capitalize species names like Snorlax or do you leave it lowercase (snorlax)?

I know that there is a lot of debate on whether to capitalize specie's names, especially because we typically wouldn't capitalize a regular animal name (like Cats and Dogs).

Do you capitalize trainer classes? Please, share your thoughts below!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I capitalize pokémon species names if it the name of the pokémon, like when the pokémon don't have a nickname because then the species name would be the pokémon's actual name as long as the specific pokémon is getting referred to directly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Same as Hrae, although I usually capitalize the species name no matter the circumstance. As for the trainer classes, I usually would as I consider them titles.

4. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    The only time I ever capitalize the name of the species, is when I'm using it as a name.
    Here's an example:
    [When I dont use caps] "Oh my god! Why does that snorlax keep eating all my food!?!"
    [When I do use caps] "Hey, Quilava, guess what. While you were resting, Squirtle learned how to use hydropump."

I know theese examples probably didnt help you one bit, but at least I thied to explain what I ment.

#4 Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Typically you don't use capitalization for animal species unless it's the first word in a sentence like: Snakes are my favorite animal!

Now if it's: My favorite animal is (animal species)! then capitalization should not be applied.

Same should go to Pokémon. Now if the individual Pokémon's name is the same as its species, then it can be capitalized as long as you're referring to it instead of the species as a whole.

For example: "I like to surf on lapras."
    This would mean that someone enjoys surfing on the lapras species as a whole.

Now: "I like to surf on Lapras."
    Lapras is the name of that particular Pokémon (assuming it is a Lapras)

Now here's where it gets tricky: "I like to surf on Lapras. It reminds me of Lapras." It's a good indicator of what I'm talking about instead of capitalizing both Lapras in the sentence. Even though I capped both; the first mention was of the species while the second referred to the individual. The species' name can only be capitalized if it's going as the first word in a sentence.
    Best way I find to avoid this is to nickname your Pokémon. Gives them more individualization and you're free to capitalize it's name however you wish.

As for trainer classes; I will capitalize formal titles like Gym Leaders, Elite Four and League Champions as well as nicknames should they get one. Others like bug catcher, youngster, ace trainer do not get this.

#5 Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I capitalize species names regardless because it looks weird when lowercased LMAO

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I don't have a preference. It has confused me but I just switch between capitalizing and not capitalizing just because sometimes I forget which one I used last time.

8. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I used to capitalize everything, but after really thinking about it objectively, using standard English rules, it makes more sense to not capitalize them unless a trainer is referring to a specific Pokémon that does not have a nickname. As for the trainer titles, if they referred to themselves with their particular title, then yes I would capitalize it as that is their nickname/title, but not otherwise.

9. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I capitalize all Pokémon names and Trainer classes. I dunno why, but I picked it up and it's too late to change.
    #MissingNo

10. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I capitalize species names no matter what. It's how they actually do it game, and it just looks so lazy without the uppercase letter. I also do it because I find it hard to pick out a Pokémon name when uncapped as it just blends in with the rest of the words.

Example (with caps): My favorite Pokémon is Sceptile! I use this example.
    Another example(without caps): My favorite Pokémon is sceptile! This one looks lazy...

And before you say, "but you wouldn't capitalize dog or cat! Your fanfic sucks because it's not real English!" keep in mind the canon games from Gen V use this approach to capitalization (ex: a wild Pidove appeared! compared to: A wild pidove appeared! So lazy!)

As for titles, formal (Champion, Gym Leader, Coordinator) and "normal" (Ace Trainer, Youngster, Swimmer) are capped as well. Once again, just looking at what the games have set up and established as their rules, all of which I merely follow.

11. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I capitalise trainer classes, but I don't capitalise Pokémon names unless the Pokémon doesn't have a nickname. Fr example, I write 'Ash's pikachu' as lowercase, as he is Ash's pikachu, while 'Ash's friend: Pikachu' is capitalised as it's referring to a specific pikachu. I used to write all Pokémon names with a capital, and then somebody pointed out to me that you don't capitalise animals' names, like birds and cats, so I stopped.

12. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    I capitalize the Pokémon species even if they have another name (like 'Coal the Tepig') because I see the different Pokémon names like scientific names, where the first word is always capitalized (like Homo sapiens, the scientific name for humans).

13. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    While I've gotten into the habit of capitalizing Pokémon and species names, I think @Mandriel and @Barandofl are more technically correct: If we think of pokémon as a whole in the same way as we think of human, then it ought not be capitalized. Similarly, for species names, unless referring to a specific pokémon of that species, that also ought to be lowercase.

However, though that is technically correct, I believe that it is up to creative choice whether or not to capitalize these words, since they can be seen as names or titular nouns. Whenever advertising their games, GameFreak typically capitalizes the names of their pokémon, as well as Pokémon itself, though that is specifically an advertising gig. In game, it helps the player pick out important Pokémon names.

Personally, I agree with @SkittleBox . Capitalizing helps it pop out more to the reader. (Though I disagree on the technicality of the capitalization of titles, she is correct in that it carries the spirit of the earlier statement on capitalization as a style choice.)

Mandriel likes this.