1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Debating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Azazel, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Nothing like a good ol debate! Do you like debating with others? How are you when it comes to standing your ground?

2. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    I'm okay at debating. Certain things I won't debate. I sure wasn't on a debate team or anything, though. I typically don't get into debates on the internet these days because they usually always end up full of ad hominem type of attacks sometimes using everyone's favorite slippery slope to get there, and then excuses like "it's just bantz m8". Ayy fair enough but bantz doesn't belong in debates, makes everything worse for everyone and makes you look weaker.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I love debates! Too bad I suck at them though... I completely withdraw whenever someone attacks me directly, so the only thing I'm useful at is defending a statement or someone else... what's more, I can't seem to counter a statement unless I have enough knowledge on the subject in order to pursue them completely. In short: I can't bluff, lol.
    I'd love to debate more, but I'm afraid I won't be of much help exactly because of the things mentioned above, oops...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    I love debating! I love standing up for what I believe in (and it's mostly right), especially when I debate with friends for things such as how bad social media is and to defend animals. Most people I debate with usually give silly or false reasons and 'convince' me with all their might that it's true even though it clearly isn't. When I try to prove my point though, people would usually be upset (in the angry way) at me because I provide points that nobody can argue with...

5. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I've grown to love and hate debating at the same time. I've gotten pretty good at it but that's after so many ultimately pointless and stressful debates about various things. Blarg.

6. FreezingDreamer

FreezingDreamer Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽28.8
    My former teacher told me the only time I wasn't a shy, little thing, was when I used to debate with someone else, so I liked it in some way... But I'm kind of bad at it, and I guess years have passed, and things have changed.

7. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I like the concept of debating with other people. I crack under pressure, but if it's just a more fun and open-ended debate, I'm totally up for it.

8. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I debate everything with everyone who is willing enough (and stupid enough) to take me on. I stand my ground VERY firmly.
    #MissingNo

9. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Debating is fun! I'm on the debate team and love getting to know the other sides opinion! Probably my favorite part is the adrenaline rush of having to think of something on the spot to rebut your opponent's argument!

10. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Debating is okay to me. Granted I like to talk about what I believe in, but it's hard to have a debate when I'm not even sure what to believe anymore...

If it comes to simple, silly, and useless stuff, count me in! However when the topic is a bit more "real" (like with real world issues and stuff like that... think of that one word nobody likes.), I have a hard time fighting for my stance.

that word is politics but i wont say anymore because i dont want people to get mad at me

11. kindred

kindred Collector

friend
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽205.8
    im okay at debating. depends on what im debating on. if its something im very passionate about, ill fight for it. i tend to debate exclusively on the internet though, as any sort of confrontation irl terrifies me.

12. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    From what I heard from my past teachers I'm really good at debating, and remembering issue that can backfire to the other side. But I get anxious when it's people I don't even know. It took me a while to my legs to shake up and my voice to crack when I debate. It sucks But I'm the one people in my class want to be in their side.

13. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    I don't like debates, I spit on those words :furious:...I love them:fuming: except I often take them a bit too far and press my view on people as if I'm truly right

14. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I am not too fond of debates. I have participated in a school competition and won a round with my team, but I am too emotional to truly shine in that regard. Also, I am often to uninformed to be of much help when it comes to politics and such, even if I did research.

15. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    There's a common pitfall that people assume about debates, or enter into debates with this idea or goal in mind. Frequently, people will enter debates for the sake of 'winning', or simply arguing better than your opponent. This is wrong.
    Debates are about refining ideas, both your own and your opponent's. ...Actually, they're not really your opponents. They're more like your peers. I'm not going to use the word 'opponent' from here on. Debates are very much learning experiences, to be exposed to new ideas and given chances to refine your existing ones. You don't necessarily have to change your mind when faced with a new idea - indeed, you may find your existing stance reinforced - but the goal is to approach ideas and other stances with the respect they deserve, even if you do not agree with them.

I find this to be a very valuable, and indeed indispensable, technique - I know that I have very different and potentially polarising opinions on many subjects that people may tend to either embrace or just take for granted (you will be able to see this most prominently if you ask me about the subjects of 'emotions' or 'family' - the two things for which my stances are strongest and essentially never liable to change), so I know that recognising the stances of others is something that comes part and parcel with the analysis.

I've often 'debated', and I use that term loosely, with people here, either by request or by approaching those people myself, with the intent of either dismantling or peering into their ideas, and finding out what drives them so. I have found the experiences very rewarding, as not only am I learning about people in the process (something that I truly enjoy and strive to do), but I also force people to think, and re-analyse why they think the way they do - which is my primary goal when it comes to debating. I suppose you could count that as a form of 'win', but my 'win' isn't to prove myself better; it's to make the other party think more.

There are definitely right and wrong mindsets as to how one should approach a debate. I've shared one of each that I have found valuable. Perhaps these thoughts of mine will be of use to you as well.

16. Nyanja

Nyanja › The fairy king ›

BEN!
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.4
    Crown of Valor
    I'm quite horrible with debates. Normally I get my opinion across but I have a hard time responding back to backup my case. I was struggling during one day debate class in high school since I was too quiet to do anything. I just let everyone else speak as I sit there while eating popcorn.

17. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I really like the idea of debating, but I cannot debate well myself. I like hearing debates, because it gives the opportunity for me to hear both sides of an argument, and (depending on the topic) there can be very well made points that make me reconsider some of the choices I make. I would be more of a debater if it wasn't for the fact that I am not that great speaking-wise around people I don't know, but I love making points about a subject. I don't do it because I like to see someone wrong, it's just that I would like them to see my way of thinking.

18. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I prefer to withold from argument/debate unless I think it's imperative to intervene (like racism or something serious where I'm otherwise going to become a complicit bystander if I don't stand up for what I believe is right) or if I think the situation is one where it's relatively safe enough to do so (I'm familiar with the people and the place and the scale of the outcome is not huge like losing a job or something).

I usually end up in that kind of moment mostly because I'll hear someone repeating a common misconception without realising some extra information that I can provide. I'm not particularly bothered if they continue on with a different view point but yeah in the case of troublesome subjects it's actually important not to be complicit if you think it's damaging.

19. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    I had a debate yesterday with someone in and different discord server. I debated what ia worse death of trauma? Its really subjective so we had lots of arguments.
    Of course i chose death the worse and she chosed trauma.

96 posts