1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Do you prefer writing fanfiction or original works?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Sheep, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Venom Wolf

Venom Wolf Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽38.1
    I like reading both fanfiction and original works. At the moment I'm concentrating on the fanfictions I have begun, although I do hope to start an original work eventually.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,105.7
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    At the current moment, I am a fanfiction writer. However, at some point in the future, I'd like to create my own original work. I just need time to come up with it.

As for reading, I like to read both original and fanfictions. By reading, I can discover new ideas that I can then implement into my fanfictions or my later original work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I enjoy writing fanfiction more because I'm not quite good at creating my own worlds, settings, or even characters. I have written (or at least attempted) writing a few, though.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,705.0
    I've come up with plenty of ideas for original works, but their on the back-burner for now. Right now I'm focusing on fan fiction in order to build up my writing skills and get in the habit of writing a lot. When I feel that I'm ready, I'll get to my original stories and hopefully one day become an officially published author.

5. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 31
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,744.3
    A little bit of both--fanfiction is a good way to practice aspects of writing, but building original worlds is fun as well.

6. JellyBunnyBeans!

JellyBunnyBeans! PKMN Breeder

Cuti
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.3
    I honestly prefer orginal works...you're less likely to get people who complain about you not following canon, and if you do? You can tell them to take a hike.

7. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I like reading original works and fanfiction but I prefer reading original works.

As for writing, I have brainstormed a rough plot for an original work but it's already pretty much shot because writing it requires a lot of knowledge about genetics, and back when I was started writing the plot I didn't really think about the science behind it and now everything is completely inaccurate. Oops?

I think that writing fanfiction can be a really good way to get started--it's kind of like a writing exercise! You're provided with a world, and then you base your story off that world, and in that way, it's kind of like a prompt. There's so much character material available and by writing fanfiction, it's an easy way to test the waters of writing. You can learn a lot about your writing style too, and you can meet other people through fanfiction (beta readers, reviewers).

So for now, I plan on finishing my fanfiction, and I may even write another one. But at some point, I think I'm going to have to switch from fanfic to original writing--or maybe I can just do both, who knows.