1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fiction Review Service

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by 8542Madness, Nov 30, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    Just finished: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Shadows of the Past

Hello, fellow authors! Have you felt like you aren't getting good feedback for your stories? Do you feel tired of people giving a short "it's good" as a comment and leaving you wondering what was so good? Maybe you haven't gotten any feedback at all, and are just desperate for a single comment of any sort.

Well, be desperate no more! I, 8542Madness, am willing to use my analytical gifts for free! I've been reading all sorts of literature for as long as I can remember, and have completed courses specifically in literary analysis. I've also done many reviews of all different kinds before, so I have experience.

A word of warning, however. I am not going to soften my words. I won't be unnecessarily harsh, but I won't go easy on you. I strive to give true and honest reviews first and foremost.

Also keep in mind that there is a difference between a reviewer and an editor or proofreader. I'll tell you what is wrong and I'll tell you how it can be fixed or improved, but you have to do the fixing yourself.

The process I use to review is simple. I identify different categories of the story based upon how it is written and what genre it is from, and then give a score out of ten for how well the story performed in each category. Five means that the story is about average in that category. Keep in mind that I consider average to be good. A rating less than five means below average, and a rating above five means above average. Eight and nine are very difficult to achieve. If you manage to score a ten, it is because you have written something I consider nearly perfect in that category.

Also keep in mind that I may not read the entire story all the way through if it is a longer story. I am a busy man, so don't send me a 50k word story and expect a prompt review within the day. I promise I will read as much as possible to get a grasp of the story and score it. If I really like it or have extra time, then I will read the full thing. I will also read incomplete stories.

So, how about it? If you are ready and willing to get honest and fair criticism, then simply provide a link to your story in a comment below and give me a brief summary of what the story is about. Let me know if you want the review made public or kept in a private message. A public review means that I will create a thread specifically for your story and its review, so anyone on Lake Valor can see it if they choose to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    This sounds like an excellent idea, one I would be more than happy to make use of!

My story: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Shadows of the Past

Summary: "Two years have passed since the near destruction of Temporal Tower, and the world is slowly recovering. But when an ancient evil threatens to shatter this fragile peace, only a single Pokémon, stripped of his memory, can prevent disaster. Old mistakes are not so easily forgotten, however, and the lines between friend and foe will blur as he seeks to uncover the shadows of the past."

This story follows on from the events of PMD: Explorers of Sky, and attempts to tell the story of a major character after the game's end. It's my first and only story, so I'm always trying to find ways to improve. In other words, tear me apart. I don't mind if it's public.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,034.9
  4. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    @[member="Malc Modnar"]

I just completed the review of your story, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Shadows of the Past. Sorry it took so long. It'll be up in my blog in just a few minutes.

Hey, at least now you could consider it an early Christmas present.

5. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    If you could be so kind to read A Shade of Grey, I'd appreciate it.

It was suppose to be a normal adventure, right? But when Team Plasma emerges, Hilbert Black, along with his cousin White and his friends, Bianca and Cheren face a difficult choice; If you had the chance to be a hero, would you?

A Shade of Grey is an AU of pkmn black and right now it's fairly short because I am slow with the updates.

Thanks!

6. Phantom of Music

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Huh, this is a pretty good idea.
    I finished the first chapter of my fanfiction Fire and Ice. (http://lakevalor.net/topic/9606-fire-and-ice/)

Summary: Arianna Black is on a journey through Unova with her shiny Umbreon. Due to her abusive childhood, she's very untrusting of others, but when she meets a boy named N, she begins to find herself trusting him......until he reveals a dark secret to her that changes her entire view of him. When he wants her to help him with the bothersome group, she is reluctant. Does he want her to help him destroy the group, or does he have other hidden plans?

I'd really like just your opinion on the first chapter since I'm trying to redo the story a little. Please ignore the link and review the first chapter, please?

7. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    @[member="WavePearl"] @[member="LadySmugleaf"] @[member="ZoroarkGirl22"]

Well, crap. I just realized that I had forgotten about this thread. I'm extremely sorry for taking so long to get back to this, and I will begin reviewing immediately after I finish the other ten things I promised I would do and then forgot about and am doing now.

So, within the week. Probably. Hopefully. Again, I'm extremely sorry about this delay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.