1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fossil pokemon Mewtwo

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Gazi, May 5, 2020.

?

Is Mewtwo a fossil pokemon?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I know that technically Mewtwo isn't classified as a fossil, but at least in the Mewtwo Strikes Back movie, it's created from Mew DNA found in a fossil. Technically, wouldn't this make Mewtwo a fossil Pokémon same as the others? I want to hear your thoughts.

2. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,577.4
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Fossil Pokémon are directly revived from fossils. Sure, they might not be exactly how they're supposed to be, but that's what they are. Mewtwo wasn't revived from a fossil, they used the DNA from a fossil to clone Mew, and added other DNA into it to create Mewtwo. So not only is Mewtwo not the same creature that was fossilized, it's also a completely unique thing, due to having the DNA of various creatures mixed into it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I would say it counts since in the original games the technology used to revive fossils was implied to be the same technology used to create Mewtwo. Mewtwo wasn't a directly revived fossil since it has human DNA spliced in with Mew's, but with the addition of the Galar fossils being Pokémon created from the DNA of two species, I think the definition applies to Mewtwo now too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Interesting points of view on the subject. I'd like to think that mewtwo isn't a fossil Pokémon because mew is alive today, but the arguments raised here make me reconsider. I think that since mewtwo's DNA isn't entirely that of mew, it would only be half fossil if fossil at all.

5. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,021.5
    I'm inclined to say no, but extracting DNA from a fossil is basically how creating Aerodactyl from the Old Amber works at the very least. And while Mewtwo does have mixed human DNA in the Adventures manga (and only in the manga), we have official hybrid fossil Pokémon now, so mixed DNA wouldn't disqualify it either. The only reason that I can think of that Mewtwo wouldn't be a fossil Pokémon is the fact that it's now Rock-type. But then again, neither are the Gen 8 Fossil Pokémon. The only conclusion that I can reach is the Mewtwo is, for all intents and purposes, a fossil Pokémon but only because gen 8 has essentially changed what it means to be a fossil Pokémon.

6. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Ignoring the tendency of fossil Pokémon to be rock type, I still don't think that Mewtwo would count as a fossil. The biggest issue is that Mewtwo never existed. If they had simply extracted DNA to create a Mew, that could technically have been a fossil, assuming that the process is similar to that used on fossils. but the further experimentation and mutations make Mewtwo a new genetic experiment, rather than a fossil.